Canes playing at Appalachian State next year.

Why is our AD scared to schedule UCF for a home-home? Much better than one with App state.

UCF is 0-7. App State would crush UCF.

:stephenahand:

What? They would, this year. UCF is that bad. As a Tulane alum, I watched UCF play Tulane. Tulane won 45-31, but it was 45-17 when Tulane put in their 2nd and 3rd stringers at the end of the 3rd quarter. Or, is Stephen A. because he missed the point, and we should schedule UCF because it's in-state, we'd bring 10,000 fans to the game, and because they're in a better conference?

Advertisement
Why is our AD scared to schedule UCF for a home-home? Much better than one with App state.

UCF is 0-7. App State would crush UCF.

:stephenahand:

What? They would, this year. UCF is that bad. As a Tulane alum, I watched UCF play Tulane. Tulane won 45-31, but it was 45-17 when Tulane put in their 2nd and 3rd stringers at the end of the 3rd quarter. Or, is Stephen A. because he missed the point, and we should schedule UCF because it's in-state, we'd bring 10,000 fans to the game, and because they're in a better conference?

Their record this year has nothing to do with scheduling them for future games. Moreover, UCF has been trying to get Miami on the schedule for a while.

No, it's a Division I School in the FBS grouping since 2014. When they beat Michigan they were I-AA in the old grouping.

Not too many years ago they upset a Top 25 team by the name of Michigan.

Yes, Michigan. And Appalachian state is a Division II school.

Should have called any Top Big 12 school ( Baylor, TCU, Texas, etc) and they would made the scheduled opening happen. **** BYU is an independent an always looking for scheduling help in finding teams. Or better yet Miami should call Michigan to set up a home-home I am sure Ross would move mountains to make that happen.

An yes UCF would love to pay Miami. So Blake is being lazy.

Go Canes

Those schools aren't dropping anybody. It doesn't work like that. Geez, we couldn't get a home and home with Michigan. As I recall we went to Ann Arbor in 1984 and 1988 and they owe us one several years later in the OB and dropped us.

Advertisement
Satterfield is no slouch. He may be coaching in the big leagues sooner than later.

Wow. I hadn't heard this. I've been to Boone many times, mostly in the '90s. During the summer I'd bolt Las Vegas and the unbearable 110+ degrees to travel, sight see and play golf. Boone was a great remote destination, along with the nearby cities that have already been mentioned in this thread like Banner Elk and Blowing Rock.

I always drove there but my impression was that it was relatively difficult to access by plane. Maybe that has changed. The campus is nice with the football stadium in a good hillside setting.

I never dreamed when I visited Boone that the Canes would play there someday. Still hard to believe.

Let's see, I remember a main drag with every fast food joint imaginable along with mom and pop joints. During one visit I picked out one restaurant each night and absolutely stuffed myself until sick. Not sure why. But it's a memory. Maybe I was losing bets. I'd make lots of future bets before leaving Las Vegas, like on fights and Wimbledon and stuff. In fact, I distinctly remember being in Boone on the night Mike Tyson chomped off chunks of Evander Holyfield's ear. It was big news the next day at Walmart.

Advertisement
Miami fans:
I understand your posts here. I would probably feel the same way.

At the risk of getting flamed, let me offer another view. I have been an App. State season ticket holder for many years.

This year is App. State's first year of bowl eligibility (although we did play some bowl games in the 1930s & 40s). It is a program with a long history of football success. We know how to win football games. With 2 games to go this year in the Sunbelt Conf., we are 7 - 2 overall. In 2nd place in Sunbelt standings right now. Yes, App. State was Div. I-AA (which became FCS) until 2013, when it announced it would move up to FBS and joined the Sunbelt Conf. in 2014. BTW, the main difference between an FBS team & a FCS team is 22 scholarships - basically a practice squad on both sides of the ball. FCS teams get 63 schollies mas, FBS teams get 85 schollies. FTR, App. never was Div. 2, which I understand means zero schollies.

One of our losses this year was that we lost to Clemson 41 - 10. But, we hung with the Tigers through 3 quarters. They scored 28 points on short fields in the 2nd qtr. (3 interceptions).

App. won 3 national titles as FCS in 2005, 2006, and 2007. I was at those games, and all the playoff games, except one. I was also at the Michigan game. Yes, that was something else, but I can tell you the nat'l titles were better.

In short, App. State has a tradition of winning football. Just like Miami. Now, I'm am not saying App will win the game against Miami next year. But, I can tell you App will bring a good game. The stadium will be rocking. It will be SRO; no question; I would guess it could be 35k and maybe more, in a stadium with only 24k seats. And, I hope Miami brings its best game. I am certain the best team will win. It could be App.

For any Canes fans that make the trip to Boone, I can tell you you will be welcome to any tailgate you care to visit. Wear your colors. There are some great restaurants for after the game. The mountains of western North Carolina are worth a day or two extra. One more thought, although the game is in Sept., it is not unheard of to have snow that time of year. Bring some warm clothes.

Should be fun. Good luck. I hope you enjoy everything about the Boone area, except the final score. Safe travels.

Looking forward to the visit. Who gives to ***** that we are going to Boone. Stop the *****ing about every little thing you pussies.

Miami fans:

At the risk of getting flamed, let me offer another view. I have been an App. State season ticket holder for many years.

This year is App. State's first year of bowl eligibility (although we did play some bowl games in the 1930s & 40s). It is a program with a long history of football success. We know how to win football games. With 2 games to go this year in the Sunbelt Conf., we are 7 - 2 overall. In 2nd place in Sunbelt standings right now. Yes, App. State was Div. I-AA (which became FCS) until 2013, when it announced it would move up to FBS and joined the Sunbelt Conf. in 2014. BTW, the main difference between an FBS team & a FCS team is 22 scholarships - basically a practice squad on both sides of the ball. FCS teams get 63 schollies mas, FBS teams get 85 schollies. FTR, App. never was Div. 2, which I understand means zero schollies.

One of our losses this year was that we lost to Clemson 41 - 10. But, we hung with the Tigers through 3 quarters. They scored 28 points on short fields in the 2nd qtr. (3 interceptions).

App. won 3 national titles as FCS in 2005, 2006, and 2007. I was at those games, and all the playoff games, except one. I was also at the Michigan game. Yes, that was something else, but I can tell you the nat'l titles were better.

In short, App. State has a tradition of winning football. Just like Miami. Now, I'm am not saying App will win the game against Miami next year. But, I can tell you App will bring a good game. The stadium will be rocking. It will be SRO; no question; I would guess it could be 35k and maybe more, in a stadium with only 24k seats. And, I hope Miami brings its best game. I am certain the best team will win. It could be App.

For any Canes fans that make the trip to Boone, I can tell you you will be welcome to any tailgate you care to visit. Wear your colors. There are some great restaurants for after the game. The mountains of western North Carolina are worth a day or two extra. One more thought, although the game is in Sept., it is not unheard of to have snow that time of year. Bring some warm clothes.

Should be fun. Good luck. I hope you enjoy everything about the Boone area, except the final score. Safe travels.

Classy post. I have a house near Boone and agree completely with this post. Great road trip to make.

Miami fans:

1. You played Clemson much better than we did this year.
2. You've never actually won a national title. Stop saying that at the grownup table it makes you look foolish.
3. WTF do we gain by playing you guys at your stadium?
4. We are going to beat the dog schit outta you guys next year.
5. In regards to the bolded text above. Shut the fvck up. You aren't even close to us historically.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I use to live in Charlotte and Ashville is very beautiful in the summer as well. Some great hotels and resorts for couples and a good bar scene for the 20/30 something crowd. Not much recruiting base out that way but its a great trip for the fan looking for a new experience.

I plan on hitting the game with one of my best friends who still lives in Charlotte who is roommates with an App State Man. App St fans are some of the nicest people you ever meet they drink late in the night. Its similar to an old school NASCAR crowd.

Advertisement
I use to live in Charlotte and Ashville is very beautiful in the summer as well. Some great hotels and resorts for couples and a good bar scene for the 20/30 something crowd. Not much recruiting base out that way but its a great trip for the fan looking for a new experience.

I plan on hitting the game with one of my best friends who still lives in Charlotte who is roommates with an App State Man. App St fans are some of the nicest people you ever meet they drink late in the night. Its similar to an old school NASCAR crowd.
Its plenty of talent in the triangle......

We will be there! Love App State campus & the whole surrounding area. Gorgeous place & nifty little stadium..

Advertisement
Back