Canes playing at Appalachian State next year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
### We hear UM football is close to finalizing a deal to play at Appalachian State (Boone, N.C.) next season, with the teams playing a game at Sun Life in a future year. Appalachian State, a member of the Sun Belt Conference, is 7-1, with its only loss to Clemson. UM’s other 2016 non-conference games: Florida A&M, FAU and at Notre Dame.

Marlins to target pitching, try to reverse free agent cold streak; Canes schedule news; UM, Dolphins, Heat chatter | Sports Buzz

Embarrassing.

You people turn everything into a negative. You know who also played them in non-conference this year? Clemson.....who's #1 in CFP currently.

I think it's a great scheduling idea. It gives us basically a 1-AA school but the SoS of a 1-A.

We can't schedule 1-AA schools anymore. Not with the SEC bias' effect on the playoff committee. Our cupcakes have to still be 1-A progums or on any questionable years we will be left out in the cold.

App State is a cupcake, yet they lose to Clemson 41-10 at Clemson and Miami lost 58-0 at home.

cupcakes.jpg

crossover22[]_[];2355274 said:
Im 45 minutes from boone. Ill be there.

Same here. More like an hour and a half but I'll definitely be there. It's bull**** for Miami to resort to playing them at their place but I'm not mad about it

[video=youtube_share;wnrOdTZG-Wc]https://youtu.be/wnrOdTZG-Wc[/video]

As shown, good game day atmosphere. I don't know if the hill is still a general admission thing as it was 20 years ago, but if so it's a good way to see the game with a family / small children.

Advertisement
Would get benefit of doubt if admin hadn't already scheduled away games at (2017:Arkansas St & 2018:Toledo). Local road games that are drives for the fans like to (2015:FAU and 2019:FIU) I get, like another home game. But major programs don't make these road trips to small schools, especially to places they don't recruit. You never see a UGA, Mich, OSU, OU, etc, etc, etc.....make 1 trip like this, let alone 3 in a row.

I think it was Toledo who backed out. Not a lot of options at this late date for those of you complaining.

funny you leave out the part about it being short notice and they were only school that could fit us in short notice... "The Canes needed to fill an opening, and Appalachian State was one school that could accommodate UM on short notice."

Advertisement
Would get benefit of doubt if admin hadn't already scheduled away games at (2017:Arkansas St & 2018:Toledo). Local road games that are drives for the fans like to (2015:FAU and 2019:FIU) I get, like another home game. But major programs don't make these road trips to small schools, especially to places they don't recruit. You never see a UGA, Mich, OSU, OU, etc, etc, etc.....make 1 trip like this, let alone 3 in a row.

I think it was Toledo who backed out. Not a lot of options at this late date for those of you complaining.

funny you leave out the part about it being short notice and they were only school that could fit us in short notice... "The Canes needed to fill an opening, and Appalachian State was one school that could accommodate UM on short notice."

Monkey,

100% true. I would like to hear your thoughts on the coaching search and top 5 candidates.

To be honest I am coming to the conclusion that there is a huge degree of luck when hiring a coach. Outside of Saban, Meyer and maybe Chip Kelly...everyone is a crap shoot. Looking at the last 20 years as the successful hires, Carroll (NFL Failure), Stoops, Richt (were coordinators), Tressell (D2 coach), Kelly, Meyer(from smaller schools) Miles, Saban, Brown (came from power 5 schools)....so many routes to take. And you have failures that all fit the same mold. Guys like Rich Rod, Hawkins, Kragthorpe, Strong were all the "Hot coach" so who knows at this point.

I don't like Cristobal. He is a guy that is only a candidate at Miami. I don't get it. Feels like a lazy/easy hire in the same sense that Coker/Shannon were. OK with him being an assistant and earning the HC someday...don't feel he has earned it yet.

Strong scares me as a guy who needs overwhelming talent to win. Yes Texas is a bad fit, but the results should be better. Losing 24-0 to Iowa State should not happen in year 2. He is not maximizing his talent at Texas, not saying he should be 10-2 or 11-1 there, but should be better. We just fired a guy who was guilty of the same thing.

The other guys I think will all do well. By accident Miami gets Top 15-20 recruiting classes despite having NCAA Clouds, bad coaches, empty stadiums and being irrelevant for 10 years. Last 4 years the average Rivals ranking was around #16-17 . In this division VT is in the mid 20's, everyone else is in the mid 30's to 60's. I don't think any other school in the power 5 has such an huge recruiting advantage over their schedule. Get a coach in here who wins to the talent advantage going 10-2 and those Top 15-20 classes easily turn into Top 5-10 classes. (see years 2 of Shannon #4 , Golden #9 with just hope). I don't buy it has to be a local guy with ties to understand the culture down here.

Davis, Herman and Fuente should all do well. I think Davis is the least risky, Herman has more short term upside as Davis has always been a 3-4 year builder(dictated by circumstances)....hasn't walked in an won big quickly anywhere....but still won to the talent level he had.

I would be happy with any of the 3. Chud, I think will also do very well, but would not be a ****, galvanize the fans type hire. But may end up as a what we need type coach, versus what we want immediately. But would be concerned about waiting 2+ months to get and announce him.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents, that is not worth even that much.

Last edited:
Advertisement
To be honest I am coming to the conclusion that there is a huge degree of luck when hiring a coach. Outside of Saban, Meyer and maybe Chip Kelly...everyone is a crap shoot. Looking at the last 20 years as the successful hires, Carroll (NFL Failure), Stoops, Richt (were coordinators), Tressell (D2 coach), Kelly, Meyer(from smaller schools) Miles, Saban, Brown (came from power 5 schools)....so many routes to take. And you have failures that all fit the same mold. Guys like Rich Rod, Hawkins, Kragthorpe, Strong were all the "Hot coach" so who knows at this point.

I don't like Cristobal. He is a guy that is only a candidate at Miami. I don't get it. Feels like a lazy/easy hire in the same sense that Coker/Shannon were. OK with him being an assistant and earning the HC someday...don't feel he has earned it yet.

Strong scares me as a guy who needs overwhelming talent to win. Yes Texas is a bad fit, but the results should be better. Losing 24-0 to Iowa State should not happen in year 2. He is not maximizing his talent at Texas, not saying he should be 10-2 or 11-1 there, but should be better. We just fired a guy who was guilty of the same thing.

The other guys I think will all do well. By accident Miami gets Top 15-20 recruiting classes despite having NCAA Clouds, bad coaches, empty stadiums and being irrelevant for 10 years. Last 4 years the average Rivals ranking was around #16-17 . In this division VT is in the mid 20's, everyone else is in the mid 30's to 60's. I don't think any other school in the power 5 has such an huge recruiting advantage over their schedule. Get a coach in here who wins to the talent advantage going 10-2 and those Top 15-20 classes easily turn into Top 5-10 classes. (see years 2 of Shannon #4 , Golden #9 with just hope). I don't buy it has to be a local guy with ties to understand the culture down here.

Davis, Herman and Fuente should all do well. I think Davis is the least risky, Herman has more short term upside as Davis has always been a 3-4 year builder(dictated by circumstances)....hasn't walked in an won big quickly anywhere....but still won to the talent level he had.

I would be happy with any of the 3. Chud, I think will also do very well, but would not be a ****, galvanize the fans type hire. But may end up as a what we need type coach, versus what we want immediately. But would be concerned about waiting 2+ months to get and announce him.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents, that is not worth even that much.

It is worth slightly more than that. JK

I would say Patterson, Briles and Harbaugh should be thrown into that list of success. I don't think anyone does more with less maybe besides Gary Pinkel. Pinkel, Briles and Harbaugh were all taken from Sub Power 5 schools and all were successful when going to Power 5. Patterson was at TCU forever even before they were Power 5.

I don't know if Miami will even attempt to get a potential unemployed NFL HC (i.e. Kelly). I also don't think they will try to pry someone currently employed and having success (i.e. Patterson).

My gut says we will not hire Butch or someone affiliated with Miami. I believe Strong has proven he can't win at this level and won't be considered. All these beliefs indicate hope (minus Butch)...but based on the past two hires, it is difficult to tell if we learned from our obvious mistakes.

My hope is they go with Herman or Fuente given my beliefs above. If Kelly is somehow available, you go after him with everything you got and you watch the success AND MONEY roll in. If they won't take a chance on these three, I would go Hue Jackson (if he is interested in the gig).

Not defending it all, we should not be going there, but App State is not I-AA or FCS. They're FBS, in the Sun Belt. They're going to win the Sun Belt this year, or at least they should (they're 7-1, 4-0 with their only loss 41-10 at Clemson). All of that said, we shouldn't go there. We should never go there. Their stadium seats 26,000. This is embarrassing on so many levels.

Remember when Mario couldn't win the Sun Belt while he was at FIU? App. State was an FCS school and is about to win it. Mind you, Mario had 2nd tier players available from the most talent rich area in the country. But yeah, let's keep toting up Mario for the next HC.

Why would Toledo drop Miami? With them being ranked you think they be exicted at the chance of getting a big name win vs a program going through transition.

Advertisement
Back