Canes bs Tigers - ACC Championship - 2pm ESPNU/ACCN

Advertisement
I didn’t get pitching guys on Friday. I said it before, during and after the game. The idea had to be going 2-1 and losing to wake would be a feel good week, instead of throwing todays guys while losing to duke and then losing to wake being a bad week.

Like I said a decision was made. Gino wanted to build momentum and he did. But he also didn’t give his team a chance to win today and that really really sucks. I just hope that didn’t stop the momentum that was built up.

Please...specifically...tell us the decision that "didn't give us a chance to win today". It's nonsense.

We were ahead in the 7th inning. We absolutely had a chance to win today. Walters was not coming in to start the 7th. Laquerica threw SIX PITCHES yesterday (and FOUR PITCHES against Duke), he wasn't burned. Torres threw FOUR PITCHES yesterday, he wasn't burned. Rafe pitched.

Is your complaint "Gallo"? Because with the threat of getting rained out on Saturday/Sunday, we actually tried to win the Duke game?

"No chance to win today". You typed those actual words.

Ridiculous.

And you completely and incompetently failed to read this:

"Outside of THOSE THREE RELIEVERS, plus the starters, the only other bullpen arms we used were"

So, yes, I DID MENTION GALLO. He started that game against Duke. Now, you can whine and complain (and, oh, it seems like you are NOT being supportive of DiMare/Arteaga?), but Miami was NOT the only team to throw a better pitcher for Pool Game 2, which Wake Forest did as well.

And, as I've pointed out (not in a "resurrecting a dead point" way), Miami and Wake were fully aware that the Saturday and Sunday games could be rained out, making it more important to try to win both Pool games.

Again, if Miami was the ONLY school to use a better pitcher for the 2nd Pool game, maybe you'd have a valid criticism. BUT WE WERE NOT. We took a wise approach on using Gallo on Friday for 4 and 1/3 innings and 65 pitches in an effort to beat Duke. Good lord, stop acting like we burned him for 8 innings and 100 pitches.

But, yeah, congrats on your "gotcha" moment that backfired.
It doesn’t take 100 pitches to burn a guy. Gallo wasn’t available, period. Would you rather have used Gallo or Torres today?

You got what you wanted: 2-0 in pool play. It made us the runner up, but you got what you wanted.

Have to win the first 2 to get out of the regional for us. This tournament's format was horrible for us. We just don't have the arms to go 4 days in a row. Clemson's staff is okay, but it was well rested. We needed a huge outing by Chestnutt. He just doesn't have the stuff to be anything other than a midweek guy. The good news is Rosario and Gallo gave us good innings. And Ligon should be good this weekend.

Careful.

When I was critical of the tournament format and playing 4 days in a row, a couple of people went after me and told me we should effectively throw the second Pool game.

Advertisement
Please...specifically...tell us the decision that "didn't give us a chance to win today". It's nonsense.

We were ahead in the 7th inning. We absolutely had a chance to win today. Walters was not coming in to start the 7th. Laquerica threw SIX PITCHES yesterday (and FOUR PITCHES against Duke), he wasn't burned. Torres threw FOUR PITCHES yesterday, he wasn't burned. Rafe pitched.

Is your complaint "Gallo"? Because with the threat of getting rained out on Saturday/Sunday, we actually tried to win the Duke game?

"No chance to win today". You typed those actual words.

Ridiculous.
My complaint is Gallo and Walt. Gallo wasn’t available and Walt wasn’t available for more than one. If they were available, Rafe doesn’t go the 2nd, Torres never sees the mound and nobody else after him doesn’t either. Gallo starts and gives you at the very worst the same as Chestnutt. Probably better. Walt could’ve easily gone 40 pitches today if he hadn’t gone Friday and yesterday.

As I keep saying, the plan to win Friday at all costs, was a choice, not a necessity. You saying the rain played a part in that, is again, A CHOICE. It turned out to be the wrong choice.

Careful.

When I was critical of the tournament format and playing 4 days in a row, a couple of people went after me and told me we should effectively throw the second Pool game.
You couldn't throw the second pool game. Only chance was to win the conference tournament for any chance to host a super regional. As you correctly stated, we needed to win Friday because there was no guarantee we were getting in games 3 and 4. You lose to Duke and you lose to Wake and yes we probably still host, but I'd rather be a 10 seed going to the 7th seed super with a chance they may lose. Being #13 or #14 and going to Baton Rouge or Fayetteville is definitely not ideal. Right now it looks like we line up as a 9th seed against UVA if the projections hold.

Advertisement
It doesn’t take 100 pitches to burn a guy. Gallo wasn’t available, period. Would you rather have used Gallo or Torres today?

You got what you wanted: 2-0 in pool play. It made us the runner up, but you got what you wanted.

Yeah, you want to mischaracterize my prior posts...well, that's what you do.

I didn't "want" 2-0 in pool play. I specifically criticized the schedule and said that I didn't like the prospect of playing 4 days in a row.

To which you and NC Canes proceeded to go after me and tell me about how we should throw the second Pool game. It was, effectively, like a "day off", that's what you told me. Wake didn't respond that way, and neither did Miami.

The SEC started play on Tuesday, not Wednesday. Durham and Chapel Hill are 10 miles apart, you could have put Pool games in 2 locations and played more games earlier. There were many MANY alternate ways to play a bunch of games without putting ANY team (including Wake) in a spot where they had to play four consecutive games in 4 days.

But you're one of the guys who mocked me about "rest" and scheduling and defended the ACC and told everyone how "great" the schedule was, and bragged about this AWESOME advantage of sitting around for two days to "see" if we had to make an effort for the second pool game, when every team on Friday actually gave maximum effort due to the potential of weekend rainouts.

Sure. This was about me fighing about "going 2-0 in pool play". Ridiculous. I have always, and in every sport (including soccer) criticized pool play. I hate it. It's asinine. And I have also said that if you schedule the games, if you feel that a post-season tournament is relevant, then you compete. You don't go out and try to throw a game in order to justify things. I'd much prefer a single or double elimination tournament. I HATE POOL PLAY.

You are acting like the use of Gallo on Friday for 4 and 1/3 innings was the disqualifier in all of this. As if that ONE use of ONE pitcher was the sole cause of the 7th inning.

Sure. Tell yourself whatever you want to tell yourself.

Advertisement
My complaint is Gallo and Walt. Gallo wasn’t available and Walt wasn’t available for more than one. If they were available, Rafe doesn’t go the 2nd, Torres never sees the mound and nobody else after him doesn’t either. Gallo starts and gives you at the very worst the same as Chestnutt. Probably better. Walt could’ve easily gone 40 pitches today if he hadn’t gone Friday and yesterday.

As I keep saying, the plan to win Friday at all costs, was a choice, not a necessity. You saying the rain played a part in that, is again, A CHOICE. It turned out to be the wrong choice.
Welp, we went 3 and 1 against 4 tournament teams. I'll take it.

I didn't "want" 2-0 in pool play. I specifically criticized the schedule and said that I didn't like the prospect of playing 4 days in a row.

To which you and NC Canes proceeded to go after me and tell me about how we should throw the second Pool game. It was, effectively, like a "day off", that's what you told me. Wake didn't respond that way, and neither did Miami.

The SEC started play on Tuesday, not Wednesday. Durham and Chapel Hill are 10 miles apart, you could have put Pool games in 2 locations and played more games earlier. There were many MANY alternate ways to play a bunch of games without putting ANY team (including Wake) in a spot where they had to play four consecutive games in 4 days.

But you're one of the guys who mocked me about "rest" and scheduling and defended the ACC and told everyone how "great" the schedule was, and bragged about this AWESOME advantage of sitting around for two days to "see" if we had to make an effort for the second pool game, when every team on Friday actually gave maximum effort due to the potential of weekend rainouts.

Sure. This was about me fighing about "going 2-0 in pool play". Ridiculous. I have always, and in every sport (including soccer) criticized pool play. I hate it. It's asinine. And I have also said that if you schedule the games, if you feel that a post-season tournament is relevant, then you compete. You don't go out and try to throw a game in order to justify things. I'd much prefer a single or double elimination tournament. I HATE POOL PLAY.

You are acting like the use of Gallo on Friday for 4 and 1/3 innings was the disqualifier in all of this. As if that ONE use of ONE pitcher was the sole cause of the 7th inning.

We tried to tell you how it would play out, and that’s exactly what happened. We were out of arms, so we lost.

Advertisement

Why are you arguing with the Abner Doubledays of Miami baseball?

They’ve never seen a pitch they couldn’t hit, nor a batter they couldn’t get out…

Enjoy their splendor…

(None of them were saving pitchers for today. They didn’t want to even play Friday, nor throw anyone yesterday ahead of NEXT weekend, not today, NEXT weekend)

Welp, we went 3 and 1 against 4 tournament teams. I'll take it.
And that’s fine. The coaches had 2 options. They chose option one and it did what they wanted it to do.

1. Go 2-0 in pool play to improve hosting. Whatever happens after that is gravy, whether it gets rained out or you get what actually happened, you run out of pitching.

2. Play to win the tourney. Go 1-1 in pool play to advance, throwing the one that didn’t matter. That means leaving yourself a full pen as well as Gallo and Rosario/Ligon to win 2 games. That also runs the risk of going 1-2 for the week.

Advertisement
Back