Canes bs Tigers - ACC Championship - 2pm ESPNU/ACCN

Advertisement
And I'm the biggest anti-Gino guy of us all, but here I am getting crap for saying we actually had a great week. Bizarre.
I don't get it. We have argued for years and he is supportive. I had to read every thing again to make sure I was right..smdh.

You might want to check those years lol. We went to Omaha in 16 (limited pitching). 19 we slugged our way into the Miss ST regional.

I would say 15/16 would have been better if we had adequate pitching. We didn’t. 20 yes. I’m not sure why we would say 21/22 had a real pitching staff? We had about 4 guys lol
I would like to question your reading comprehension. I said decent in 21 and 22. Yes, I was off a year in 16. We scored 4 runs in Omaha that year. Pitch was good enough to get us there. We cooled down hitting wise. Pitching was very good in 15. Yeah, we got *****ed slapped twice by the Gates in Omaha, but overall good.

You think pitching is why we lost 2-1 to Ole Miss and 4-3 to Arizona last year in the regionals? GTFO

Advertisement
Look I have argued with him for years, mainly for being critical during games we suck. He is being supportive here, back off and shut up.

He was not, and is not, "being supportive". He said nothing about supporting Arteaga or DiMare after he had already personally attacked another poster nearly ten times.

Don't post that I need to work on my reading when you refuse to acknowledge the actual words that WERE said and the ones that were NOT said.

Feel free to provide all those "supportive" posts. You can't. You won't.

Reading comprehension. I said decent in 21 and 22. Yes, I was off a year in 16. We scored 4 runs in Omaha. Pitching was very good in 15. Yeah, we got *****ed slapped twice by the Gates in Omaha.

You think pitching is why we lost 2-1 to Ole Miss and 4-3 to Arizona last year in the regionals? GTF)
I didn’t say our hitting was good enough. My opinion of Lopez is pretty low.

JD has been here for a long time and I think our pitching has been subpar in that time. And he has zero resume to indicate he can coach. Zero.

You are welcome to disagree. But saying our hitting has also come up short isn’t a good counter to our pitching for 20 years

I don't get it. We have argued for years and he is supportive. I had to read every thing again to make sure I was right..smdh.

Where's the support? Maybe after I pointed out that he was being hypocritical.

ZERO support. Unless you are giving him credit for personally attacking another poster.

Uh, nope.

Not gonna let this nonsense criticism stand. We all know you're trying to resurrect your "let's throw a couple of games" argument.

The first game was a must win. Wake was an elimination game. The only POSSIBLE criticism of "treating every game like a must-win" is the Duke game (Pool Game 2).

Rafe went 1 and 1/3 innings for 23 pitches.
Laquerica went 1/3 of an inning for 4 pitches.
Walters went 1 inning for 14 pitches.

Those same guys against NC State (Pool Game 1):

Rafe went 2/3 of an inning for 15 pitches.
Laquerica went 1 and 1/3 innings for 20 pitches.
Walters went 2 and 1/3 innings for 28 pitches.

And against Wake (Semi-Final):

Rafe went 1/3 of an inning for 7 pitches.
Laquerica went 1/3 of an inning for 6 pitches.
Walters went 1 inning for 13 pitches.

Rafe has thrown 45 pitches over 2 and 1/3 innings. Laquerica has thrown 30 pitches over 2 innings. Walters has thrown 55 pitches over 4 and 1/3 innings. And we didn't even get far enough into the 7th to call on Walters.

It's just ridiculous to say that this happened "because we treated every game as a must-win.

Outside of THOSE THREE RELIEVERS, plus the starters, the only other bullpen arms we used were:

Torres for 2 innings and 31 pitches against Duke
Rosario for 4 and 2/3 innings and 78 pitches against Wake (because Ligon wasn't going the distance)
Torres for 1/3 inning and 4 piches against Wake

Pretty much the OPPOSITE of overusing our staff "because we treated every game as a must-win". The ONLY time we called on someone (perhaps) a bit too much was Walters in the NC State game.

You completely and incompetently left out Gallo. There was no need to throw Gallo against Duke.

Next year, if we're in this same situation, are you still going to be happy with that big win in the meaningless game? Or do you get what we mean now?

Advertisement
3-1 with a win in the championship game seems like more fun than 3-1 with a win over Duke on Friday.
I didn’t get pitching guys on Friday. I said it before, during and after the game. The idea had to be going 2-1 and losing to wake would be a feel good week, instead of throwing todays guys while losing to duke and then losing to wake being a bad week.

Like I said a decision was made. Gino wanted to build momentum and he did. But he also didn’t give his team a chance to win today and that really really sucks. I just hope that didn’t stop the momentum that was built up.

He was not, and is not, "being supportive". He said nothing about supporting Arteaga or DiMare after he had already personally attacked another poster nearly ten times.

Don't post that I need to work on my reading when you refuse to acknowledge the actual words that WERE said and the ones that were NOT said.

Feel free to provide all those "supportive" posts. You can't. You won't.
Personally attacked???????

Fair. But JD recruited these guys. You are allowed to have more guys who are actual ACC pitchers than this.
Pitching depth sucks, I don’t think anybody would argue that. But our top guys threw well this week. As I keep saying, the situation the team was in today, was a choice, not a necessity. We have enough guys to win 3 games in a weekend.

Advertisement
I didn’t say our hitting was good enough. My opinion of Lopez is pretty low.

JD has been here for a long time and I think our pitching has been subpar in that time. And he has zero resume to indicate he can coach. Zero.

You are welcome to disagree. But saying our hitting has also come up short isn’t a good counter to our pitching for 20 years
You were focusing on Arteaga. BTW, team ERA was 3.84 in 2019. We may have slugged our way to the regional final in 2019, but we only gave up 16 runs in four games.

It's disappointing, but we have very few arms left.

We used are best arms to get to the championship game. The ACC did us NO favor having no days off between games as we played our 1st game Thursday.

It's been a great tournament run and the team has shown they can play with anyone.

I said it yesterday, win or lose, we have momentum going into the regionals.
Friday was an off day, we just didn’t use it.

You completely and incompetently left out Gallo. There was no need to throw Gallo against Duke.

Next year, if we're in this same situation, are you still going to be happy with that big win in the meaningless game? Or do you get what we mean now?

And you completely and incompetently failed to read this:

"Outside of THOSE THREE RELIEVERS, plus the starters, the only other bullpen arms we used were"

So, yes, I DID MENTION GALLO. He started that game against Duke. Now, you can whine and complain (and, oh, it seems like you are NOT being supportive of DiMare/Arteaga?), but Miami was NOT the only team to throw a better pitcher for Pool Game 2, which Wake Forest did as well.

And, as I've pointed out (not in a "resurrecting a dead point" way), Miami and Wake were fully aware that the Saturday and Sunday games could be rained out, making it more important to try to win both Pool games.

Again, if Miami was the ONLY school to use a better pitcher for the 2nd Pool game, maybe you'd have a valid criticism. BUT WE WERE NOT. We took a wise approach on using Gallo on Friday for 4 and 1/3 innings and 65 pitches in an effort to beat Duke. Good lord, stop acting like we burned him for 8 innings and 100 pitches.

But, yeah, congrats on your "gotcha" moment that backfired.

Advertisement
My opinion is we’ve been a really poorly coached program for a really long time.

I was critical of Joe Mercadante for years. Look at his career. Norberto? Seems like a nice guy but he coached the hitting in 2021 when literally every veteran hitter went way backwards. Disaster. We still can’t execute.

How many pitchers has JD recruited and coached in 20+ years who went to the big leagues? It’s not good. That’s a really long time.

You were focusing on Arteaga. BTW, team ERA was 3.84 in 2019. We may have slugged our way to the regional final in 2019, but we only gave up 16 runs in four games.
That’s great. We also played a directional Michigan in 2 of the 4 games. If you are good with that, then great.

Pitching depth sucks, I don’t think anybody would argue that. But our top guys threw well this week. As I keep saying, the situation the team was in today, was a choice, not a necessity. We have enough guys to win 3 games in a weekend.
Have to win the first 2 to get out of the regional for us. This tournament's format was horrible for us. We just don't have the arms to go 4 days in a row. Clemson's staff is okay, but it was well rested. We needed a huge outing by Chestnutt. He just doesn't have the stuff to be anything other than a midweek guy. The good news is Rosario and Gallo gave us good innings. And Ligon should be good this weekend.

Advertisement
Back