Canes bs Noles - Series Decider - 12pm, ESPN2!

Glass half full, we’re 10-2 at home in the ACC. I wouldn’t bet any money on it, but we’re certainly capable.
Oh, I know but they'll throw LH pitcher after LH pitcher at us and their closer throws as hard as Walters. Fingers crossed - this week will be Gino's biggest test yet on how they respond after this weekend's performance.

Advertisement
Hopefully the hatred for all things Notre Dame and being at home next weekend will be enough to light a fire under this team to finish the season strong.

We’re incredibly fortunate that scheduling North Dakota State for finals week was the equivalent of hitting the RPI lottery jackpot, or we’d be having a very different conversation right now.
Why is that - because they are under 100?

Hopefully the hatred for all things Notre Dame and being at home next weekend will be enough to light a fire under this team to finish the season strong.
Would be nice and let's win Tuesday first and get the bats going again.

FWIW, this is the Warren Nolan predicted RPI if we go 3-1 this coming week.

This would be a national seed lock, and possibly as high as #3.

1652647096146.png

Advertisement
Why is that - because they are under 100?
A typical opponent that weekend is usually an RPI wash at best with a sweep. We actually gained enough RPI points that weekend that we’ll finish the day in the RPI Top 8 vs 13th-15th.

Oh, I know but they'll throw LH pitcher after LH pitcher at us and their closer throws as hard as Walters. Fingers crossed - this week will be Gino's biggest test yet on how they respond after this weekend's performance.
We’ve actually been a little better against LH starters this year at 13-4 vs 24-10 against RH starters.

FWIW, this is the Warren Nolan predicted RPI if we go 3-1 this coming week.

This would be a national seed lock, and possibly as high as #3.

View attachment 185907
I suspect, like North Dakota State, Notre Dame is probably a better RPI opponent than most teams of the same record because of the number of road/neutral games they play.

Advertisement
UVA went 0-2-1 against Clemson this weekend. Clemson now sits 13th in the RPI despite an 11-14 conference record (they play BC next weekend).

Edit: Warren Nolan seems to have mishandled a weather delay. No tie. Still trying to get Game 2 of a DH in.
UVA and Clemson have split their two games so far.

I think we are far enough into the Gino era to say the following has been true:

- Losses vs UF and FSU are a yearly affair.
- Team seems to lack a degree of mental resiliency.

I give him credit for cleaning house after last year, but it’s hard not to point back to Gino on this. The team is reflecting something about him, because we are better than both Florida and FSU this year. We just didnt play like it.
This is a clear headed assessment. Realistically, assuming we don't make the CWS, he'll be given until his contract is up and then the search begins.

ACC Standings heading into the final weekend
1 Miami
2 Virginia Tech -1.0
3 Louisville -1.5
3 Notre Dame -1.5
5 Florida State -3.0
Adjusting for the correct UVA-Clemson results
1 Miami
2 Virginia Tech -1.0
3 Louisville -1.5
3 Notre Dame -1.5
5 Virginia -2.5
6 Florida State -3.0

UVA could move to -2.0 with a win or -3.0 with a loss

Advertisement
You’re right. Warren Nolan is really screwed up on that series.
They must’ve not updated the system after the Friday game was tied and finished yesterday. That’s the game UVA won. Idk where they got the second loss from though.

They must’ve not updated the system after the Friday game was tied and finished yesterday. That’s the game UVA won. Idk where they got the second loss from though.
They actually have the correct inning by inning box score on the first game, but the wrong final run total. It’s really weird.

Advertisement
this is just modern day hitting theory imo. The announcer mentioned it today, you could park a semi trailer between 3b and Ss on the shift. Frustrating.
It not a modern hitting theory. It's been around since baseball was invented. It's just a matter of learning and making it a part of your approach which a majority of baseball players throughout history didn't and don't do.

I have to point to coaching. What is being emphasized and taught to players? For Miami, there were several games where our players were hitting to the opposite field when the pitch dictated it. It was an obvious emphasis. That appears to be an anomaly. Kayfus is the only player that consistently hits the ball opposite field when pitched that way. I think everyone else is captive to the moment. They have success to the pull side and then every swing is that way regardless of where the pitch is.

If you were wondering what that sound was. I disagree that it ended well. Maybe they can fund raise for a new AC once they replace the urinals.
I wondered what that was. I had to hit the mute button just to make sure it wasn't coming from my home.

Agree. How is Miami "better"—have about 5-6 more wins on the season than FSU and just dropped two of three up there.
Your question would be better answered if we turned around and had them at home next weekend.
They're a bad 6-10 away/neutral.
That's why I would give Miami the edge.

We'll see how this all works out in a couple of weeks.

Advertisement
Back