Canes bs Noles - Series Decider - 12pm, ESPN2!

Advertisement
Adjusting for the correct UVA-Clemson results
1 Miami
2 Virginia Tech -1.0
3 Louisville -1.5
3 Notre Dame -1.5
5 Virginia -2.5
6 Florida State -3.0

UVA could move to -2.0 with a win or -3.0 with a loss
For those interested, UVA/Clemson will play game 3 at 8:30 tonight. Shows how much they wanna play compared to the VT’s, Louisville’s, and ND’s of the world who cancel games they can’t start at 2 or earlier. There needs to be a conference rule enacted to counter this.

Some of yall are ******* miserable. It's insane! Reading this **** you would think we are a fringe tourney team. No potential national seed is a "average or decent" team. Plain and simple.

Some of yall are ******* miserable. It's insane! Reading this **** you would think we are a fringe tourney team. No potential national seed is a "average or decent" team. Plain and simple.

This type of comment hasn't aged well over the past 20 years, but I appreciate the optimism.

Advertisement
This type of comment hasn't aged well over the past 20 years, but I appreciate the optimism.

Agree with this, but past performance does not dictate future results. How/what a kid did in 2017 has literally zero bearing on CJ Kayfus' performance in a Super Regional in 2022.

Losing a series to FSU sucks, but the resume for this team has been very, very good. We are in great position to get a national seed. There are only 8 teams in the entire country who get those. There are 299 D1 baseball teams in America. 8 get National seeds. That's the Top 2.7%. We are right there to get one.

So let's put this in the rearview. If all of the goodness built up since February explodes in our faces and we lose a hosted regional or even a Super Regional, we can come here and pile on and set DiMare on fire. We all know he doesn't deserve the job he has. But he has it, and the season has been very good to this point, even with a 1-2 weekend in Tallahassee. Let's see if he can pay it off with a trip to Omaha. No reason to throw yourself off a bridge right now with 4 games between you a national seed.

A little context as well. D1 baseball's Top 8 teams, in which we were #6 headed into this week....of those, only one went 4-0 on the week. #8 Stanford. A team above us at #3, Oklahoma State, went 0-4. Arkansas at #4 went 1-2. Louisville at #7 lost a road series to VT (to be fair, is very good). They have FSU at the #21 team in the country. Losing 2 out of 3 isn't the worst thing on the planet. I expect us to still be in the Top 8 when they reveal their projections this week. Or really **** close. Win a series against a good ND team, in your ballpark, and we get a national seed, almost certainly. 4-0 this week is a lock. 3-1 almost certainly is as well. Go get it done.

Agree with this, but past performance does not dictate future results. How/what a kid did in 2017 has literally zero bearing on CJ Kayfus' performance in a Super Regional in 2022.

Except that it's the same people running the show. When we see the program stop killing itself with mistakes, there is no reason to believe that things have changed.

A little context as well. D1 baseball's Top 8 teams, in which we were #6 headed into this week....of those, only one went 4-0 on the week. #8 Stanford. A team above us at #3, Oklahoma State, went 0-4. Arkansas at #4 went 1-2. Louisville at #7 lost a road series to VT (to be fair, is very good). They have FSU at the #21 team in the country. Losing 2 out of 3 isn't the worst thing on the planet. I expect us to still be in the Top 8 when they reveal their projections this week. Or really **** close. Win a series against a good ND team, in your ballpark, and we get a national seed, almost certainly. 4-0 this week is a lock. 3-1 almost certainly is as well. Go get it done.

This is whataboutism. It doesn't make anyone feel better about the program to hear that Oklahoma State went 0-4. The Oklahoma State - Texas Tech series doesn't change the fact that we have terrible approaches at the plate, a head-case Sunday starter, and a catcher who can't knock down strike three.

Advertisement
I've seen the program stop killing itself enough to be in line with a national seed in the present day.

Great. Again, I appreciate the Pollyanna approach by some posters. It hasn't worked out for you, but I respect the position.

Context here is important. We are in position for a national seed because of how we played from March 23 - April 12. Since then, though, we are 10-8 with series losses in 3 of 4 ACC series. Two losses in a weekend doesn't allow you to advance.

This is whataboutism. It doesn't make anyone feel better about the program to hear that Oklahoma State went 0-4. The Oklahoma State - Texas Tech series doesn't change the fact that we have terrible approaches at the plate, a head-case Sunday starter, and a catcher who can't knock down strike three.

Those terrible approaches at the plate, the head-case Sunday starter, and the catcher who can't knock down strike three have contributed to us having about the ~5th best team in America.

I'm not arguing with your point. I would like to see the team play better and smarter as well. But they're playing well and smart enough to have the ~5th best team in the country to this point. You're furious about that? If we had the 5th best football team in the country and lost a close road game but were still very much in playoff contention, you'd want everyone involved killed?

Great. Again, I appreciate the Pollyanna approach by some posters. It hasn't worked out for you, but I respect the position.

Context here is important. We are in position for a national seed because of how we played from March 23 - April 12. Since then, though, we are 10-8 with series losses in 3 of 4 ACC series. Two losses in a weekend doesn't allow you to advance.

Agree here. The recent performance has been shaky. You'd much rather be peaking at this point, obviously. So yeah, of course I have concerns. We all should. I just don't have the FSU series kicking my dog this morning, which seems like a lot of our fans are. We're in a good spot.

Those terrible approaches at the plate, the head-case Sunday starter, and the catcher who can't knock down strike three have contributed to us having about the ~5th best team in America.

I'm not arguing with your point. I would like to see the team play better and smarter as well. But they're playing well and smart enough to have the ~5th best team in the country to this point. You're furious about that? If we had the 5th best football team in the country and lost a close road game but were still very much in playoff contention, you'd want everyone involved killed?

Ease up on the hyperbole, because it appears as though you have to exaggerate in order to have a point. No one is furious and no one is wanting anyone killed. Calm down and keep emotion out of this.

Advertisement
If we had the 5th best football team in the country and lost a close road game but were still very much in playoff contention, you'd want everyone involved killed?

If we had the #5 football team and lost because of the same mistakes that have plagued the program for two decades, yes, I would want everyone executed. Lethal injection would be the most humane method, but the staff would need to end up at the bottom of the Miami River somehow.

Ease up on the hyperbole, because it appears as though you have to exaggerate in order to have a point. No one is furious and no one is wanting anyone killed. Calm down and keep emotion out of this.

If/(and sadly I want to add a "when" here), we Amber Heard the bed in the regional, I'll have a beer with you and lament the fact that not much has changed. But the team has been a lot better than I expected this year. You have to credit them to this point. If the other shoe drops and we have 4 errors and strike out 11 times to lose to Mercer in a regional, then all that goodness goes out the window and I'll be right with you saying "same old ****, these guys suck". But I'm not going to do that right now. I understand your point though. I just choose to not say "same old ****" until we actually see the same old ****, which is an abomination of a season or a complete implosion in the regional. Just because it's happened in the past doesn't mean it'll happen this year.

If/(and sadly I want to add a "when" here), we Amber Heard the bed in the regional, I'll have a beer with you and lament the fact that not much has changed. But the team has been a lot better than I expected this year. You have to credit them to this point. If the other shoe drops and we have 4 errors and strike out 11 times to lose to Mercer in a regional, then all that goodness goes out the window and I'll be right with you saying "same old ****, these guys suck". But I'm not going to do that right now. I understand your point though. I just choose to not say "same old ****" until we actually see the same old ****, which is an abomination of a season or a complete implosion in the regional. Just because it's happened in the past doesn't mean it'll happen this year.

It likely stems from my extreme dislike of Gino DiMare as a coach. He was running things while #3 took his early retirement, and I don't know if I can forgive him for allowing the streak to end. Of course, that is all fan-based, on the field stuff. I respect Gino as a man.

Advertisement
Losing 2/3 on the road against the noles isn’t the issue. It’s the way in which we did is cause for GREAT CONCERN this late in season with so much on the line against your biggest rivals…. After getting swept by them last year on our home field 🤮

Losing 2/3 on the road against the noles isn’t the issue. It’s the way in which we did is cause for GREAT CONCERN this late in season with so much on the line against your biggest rivals…. After getting swept by them last year on our home field 🤮
This is where I'm at. Well said. It wasn't two heavyweights battling with the Canes just coming up short. It was a lot of mistakes against a team that isn't all that good.

Florida and FSU aren't even that good this year. That is so frustrating. I feel like Miami is better than both, but contrary to the 90's and early 00's Canes teams they don't perform well against their rivals for whatever reason.

This team has too many holes to make it to Omaha. Just isn't happening imo.

It likely stems from my extreme dislike of Gino DiMare as a coach. He was running things while #3 took his early retirement, and I don't know if I can forgive him for allowing the streak to end. Of course, that is all fan-based, on the field stuff. I respect Gino as a man.

Fair, and I share the same sentiment.

Advertisement
Back