Canes bs Maine - 7pm, Friday

He has to be assuming that Ligon can go deep on Saturday. There is no other explanation imo.
He wants to make sure that we use the bullpen as little as possible in game one apparently. That's according to the 247 article. Apparently Ziehl was second in the ACC in innings pitched this year.

Advertisement
Does Gino know winning this weekend, rests almost solely on the ability to win the winners bracket game on Saturday? Don’t give me the “gotta win the first game to get there” bull****. If you can’t beat Maine with your number 2, you aren’t good enough to win the regional anyway.

At worst this will end the team’s season. At best, you’re handicapping your team and making things harder for no reason.

Advertisement
Does Gino know winning this weekend, rests almost solely on the ability to win the winners bracket game on Saturday? Don’t give me the “gotta win the first game to get there” bull****. If you can’t beat Maine with your number 2, you aren’t good enough to win the regional anyway.

At worst this will end the team’s season. At best, you’re handicapping your team and making things harder for no reason.
Agree 100%.

This week we agree

You can use the same argument about Ziehl’s ability to go deep in support of not trotting him out G1. Even if we have to go to the pen early G1, we are guaranteed to get 6 or 7 on Saturday. It’s at least worth the risk because if your 2 or 3 gets you deep in G1, you’re golden the rest of the series. If Ziehl gets us deep G1, we’re really no better off G2.

I don’t like it.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Clearly, Gino is a genius.

:toad:

W ... T .... F???

I haven't seen such brilliant coaching of a college baseball team since Mike Martin was in his prime.

Advertisement
I've only watched a few games this year and kept up online - Can someone explain this pitching fiasco to me? Ziehl is our ace and we would all prefer to save him for Texas/Louisiana? Thanks!
Ziehl is our only dependable starter. Nobody knows, from week to week, what Rosario is going to show up. One week he cant' find the zone and is hitting batters, and the next outing he is light out for a couple innings. Often, it isn't even from game to game, but inning to inning. Ligon, who looked phenomenal at the beginning of the season, was injured for the bulk of the year as a result of tendinitis (shoulder) and missed the last couple months. Accordingly, we have been essentially using the bullpen as a day 2 and 3 pitching staff - using relievers to pitch the bulk of games. We don't have 2/3 aces, like most top 10 schools (Wake, Florida, UVA).

Gino must really want to avoid a repeat of last year's regional opener where Ligon was pulled in the 2nd inning and we threw all of our top relievers, including McFarlane, who allowed the winning runs to score the following day against Ole Miss. All culminating with Ziehl and Walters blowing a late lead later that night against UA after having been extended the previous day. He's had a year to mull over those decisions and decided he won't get burned again on night one.

Was looking at some metrics. Not only should our offense put up 10 easy but if we don’t it will be disappointing. Maines staff doesn’t have much velo, stuff+, swing and miss…nothing.

So unless Ziehl only has a fastball tonight this should be over by the 5th. And frankly I’d let Ziehl throw 100-115.

All that said until we see otherwise let’s all expect a dogfight and we end up using Walters. That way we will be pumped if we don’t.

Was looking at some metrics. Not only should our offense put up 10 easy but if we don’t it will be disappointing. Maines staff doesn’t have much velo, stuff+, swing and miss…nothing.

So unless Ziehl only has a fastball tonight this should be over by the 5th. And frankly I’d let Ziehl throw 100-115.

All that said until we see otherwise let’s all expect a dogfight and we end up using Walters. That way we will be pumped if we don’t.
It is my opinion that Ziehl's stamina tonight sets the tone for the entire regional.

Advertisement
Back