2022 Canes and Wildcats

The hitting was improved this year, but I’ve believed from the start that Gino needs an experienced hitting coach to suceed.

I have two questions that have been bugging me:
1) Why have we developed only one starter each of the two years
2) Why do our starters and relievers, young and veteran alike, seem so gassed.

I’m not sure I’m ready to go to the natural outcome re:JD of asking those questions, but I’m not sure I’m not either.
C’mon man, you’re a great guy here, but outside of a few streaks and yo-yo, you are saying hitting improved?

I mean, u and I were a few worried about the end of the year roadies to GT and FSU?! We are a better team than both! Why were we worried?! Like a faucet, it turns off…and look back at our best hitting games this year and who they were against!

Yes I’m ****ed, but like me, you saw this coming. Sure, Gino is a great dude…but you know there is better, MUCH, better coaching out there. Let’s hope it works with Mario, but our baseball team needs a shake up like that…a day to day work like they don’t know. Not because we don’t have the talent, we do, we dont have the accountability.

If you were around, which I think you were, at the mid-end of Wizard era and beginning of Morris…you know this **** is unacceptable.

Advertisement
lol you say we're dumb for wanting him fired and then spend the rest of your post making the case for why he shouldn't be the head coach for Miami baseball. Making the post season and getting smoked out isn't what Miami baseball should be.
He did not say the fanbase is dumb for wanting Gino fired. He said the fanbase is dumb for thinking he is getting fired.

Weird year… great regular season with massive roster turnover. But it ends the same way every postseason has since 2016, with a thud. Gino should be on the clock with an Omaha or bust demand, is he? I have no clue.

Advertisement
I feel badly for all us who follow this team. What a truly embarrassing performance. What a colossal waste of time.
This - I wish I had the last two weeks of my life back. DiMare has to be the worst in game head coach and worst motivator I have ever seen. How can you not play small ball the way we were swinging the bats and striking out. And Gutierrez as a PH w the game on the line after sitting on the bench all night, against a RH pitcher!!!! He goes away from his match-ups at exactly the wrong time, etc. etc. etc.

If changes aren't made after this **** show, then Rad is not as advertised.

Weird year… great regular season with massive roster turnover. But it ends the same way every postseason has since 2016, with a thud. Gino should be on the clock with an Omaha or bust demand, is he? I have no clue.
Sadly, it wasn't even a great regular season. This thing went off the rails in mid-April. It was a great partial season from March 23 through April 12. That's it.

I've said it once and I'll say it again: We have one of the dumbest fanbase in collegiate athletics. They aren't firing Dimare, even though tonight was extremely frustrating and honestly, he shouldn't have been hired in the first place. Give me multiple examples of coaches being fired for consistently making the postseason, being national seeds and having a flameout.

When he was hired, a lot of us were ****ed and for good reason. We knew he was a lazy hire, one with a well defined ceiling. He isn't awful enough to be a gimmie fire, but he isn't good enough to get Miami to the promised land. Welcome to being a solid program that may go on a run due to sheer talent, but will have embarrassing flameouts like today. It's frustrating, but it is what it is. Barring Dimare completely falling apart in recruiting, Miami should be able to consistently get into the postseason, be a national seed regularly, but I would be shocked if Dimare was able to leverage that into a title. This is WHY you NEVER hire someone you can't fire. Rad will need a **** of a reason to fire Dimare, because I doubt he's in the business of alienating a huge and I mean huge institutional donor. Blake James didn't think of all of this and just ran to the easy hire. This was another example of if someone on the Board of Trustees was doing their job, Blake would have been fired for even suggesting this guy, because anyone with an IQ above room temperature could see this becoming an impossible situation.
And this is why the large state schools in the SE will continue to dominate all sports for many years to come. New AD or not, Ruiz or no Ruiz, we cannot compete with schools that invest in and run their athletic departments competently and like a business.

Advertisement
Miami hired a booster’s son as manager and we are surprised at the result? C’mon now, the coaching is absolutely dismal and will continue to be our downfall as long as the tomato prince is in charge.
Tomato prince? What does that mean? You taking shots at Italians?

This - I wish I had the last two weeks of my life back. DiMare has to be the worst in game head coach and worst motivator I have ever seen. How can you not play small ball the way we were swinging the bats and striking out. And Gutierrez as a PH w the game on the line after sitting on the bench all night, against a RH pitcher!!!! He goes away from his match-ups at exactly the wrong time, etc. etc. etc.

If changes aren't made after this **** show, then Rad is not as advertised.
I agree. Been saying for awhile DiMare does nothing to manufacture runs or put pressure on a defense. Put a bunt down, steal a base, move runners up, squeeze in a run.......he sits there like we are the '27 Yankees waiting for the HR

C’mon man, you’re a great guy here, but outside of a few streaks and yo-yo, you are saying hitting improved?

I mean, u and I were a few worried about the end of the year roadies to GT and FSU?! We are a better team than both! Why were we worried?! Like a faucet, it turns off…and look back at our best hitting games this year and who they were against!

Yes I’m ****ed, but like me, you saw this coming. Sure, Gino is a great dude…but you know there is better, MUCH, better coaching out there. Let’s hope it works with Mario, but our baseball team needs a shake up like that…a day to day work like they don’t know. Not because we don’t have the talent, we do, we dont have the accountability.

If you were around, which I think you were, at the mid-end of Wizard era and beginning of Morris…you know this **** is unacceptable.
I think the numbers and my eyes bear out that it was better than last year. 2021 Del was the second most productive hitter on last year’s team, and he’s at best 4th or 5th this year. That said, I think you have to replace Lopez. I’ve thought you needed someone other than Lopez since before he got promoted when Morris retired. I would like that someone to be both experienced and have spent no time near this program for at least the last 15 years.

On Gino, @Allabouttheu95 excellently summarized my position on the other thread. I was 50-60% sure Gino wasn’t the answer when he was hired. It’s now about 90%. You could give him a COVID pass on the first roster build because of the loss of 2020. I personally don’t buy it after seeing virtually the same team hit last year. Next year, will be the end of the second roster build and we’ll know for sure. I’m not confident Paul DiMare’s friend of 40 years in the AD job will do anything about it, but that’s a different matter.

Now time to try to take advice from @BP Joe and check out for a few days.

Advertisement
I agree. Been saying for awhile DiMare does nothing to manufacture runs or put pressure on a defense. Put a bunt down, steal a base, move runners up, squeeze in a run.......he sits there like we are the '27 Yankees waiting for the HR
Yep - and I looked up Ole Miss' SEC conference statistical rankings after that loss. They were 11th in BA and 12th in Fielding %. Our coaches don't have laptops?

Tomato prince? What does that mean? You taking shots at Italians?
Here's the reference for you (from Social MIami.com):

"Mr. Tomato and the Tomato Lady Really Truly Love Tomatoes!

If you know Swanee DiMare (and who doesn’t), you will agree she is quite a “tomato,” dressed in her elegant designer gowns and seen at most of the non-profit galas in town. (Actually her fun moniker is “The Tomato Lady.”) And beside her is her husband Paul, distinguished in his Brioni tuxedo, who is a riveting communicator affectionately known as “Mr. Tomato” because his company is one of the largest grower of fresh-market tomatoes in the United States."

Advertisement
He did not say the fanbase is dumb for wanting Gino fired. He said the fanbase is dumb for thinking he is getting fired.
This year? Because he will get fired or he'll be forced to move on eventually. Manny Diaz got fired and he made the post season all three of his seasons. Isn't his daddy a trustee or whatever.. ex mayor.. chair of the Florida democratic party? DiMare is not good enough and that's obvious. If Miami decides to take baseball as seriously as they've apparently taken football, DiMare will have to go. It was a ****show but if manny can get fired I think Dimare can get fired.

40 wins and 10 of them were vs Towson, Harvard, and ND State and another 9 vs Pitt, Duke, BC and Clemson. We took care of business vs those teams but thats 19 wins (20 if you throw in Canisius) vs programs that we have the superior talent or finished at the bottom of the Acc.

We were around .500 from Va Tech until yesterday and that includes the ND State Series.

Definitely a very misleading season and it was easy to try and get excited its what fans do we know the likely outcome but we try to convince ourselves this year is different...but I think deep down most of us knew we had some glaring issues that were getting hidden...but the Va Tech series brought them back and the FSU series drove them home. Then like the football team we limped to the finish and we were figuring out every scenario on how to survive and keep a national seed if we lost to this team but beat that team etc etc. Instead of just winning games.

When the regionals came out I thought we had a pretty sweet draw despite being middle of the pack national seed. I mean AZ is average, Ole Miss was on life support and then the 3rd place MEAC team. Then we get through that and we get a solid but nothing spectacular Southern Miss or an LSU team that was up and down. Everything was setting up for a young, Miami team to potentially host a super and lay the ground work for something. But in the end we finished with a whimper and are probably top 30-40 team like many saw us as in the pre-season. Good, can beat almost anyone, any day but still missing pieces and if not firing in all 3 phases can lose to anyone.

I think the numbers and my eyes bear out that it was better than last year. 2021 Del was the second most productive hitter on last year’s team, and he’s at best 4th or 5th this year. That said, I think you have to replace Lopez. I’ve thought you needed someone other than Lopez since before he got promoted when Morris retired. I would like that someone to be both experienced and have spent no time near this program for at least the last 15 years.

On Gino, @Allabouttheu95 excellently summarized my position on the other thread. I was 50-60% sure Gino wasn’t the answer when he was hired. It’s now about 90%. You could give him a COVID pass on the first roster build because of the loss of 2020. I personally don’t buy it after seeing virtually the same team hit last year. Next year, will be the end of the second roster build and we’ll know for sure. I’m not confident Paul DiMare’s friend of 40 years in the AD job will do anything about it, but that’s a different matter.

Now time to try to take advice from @BP Joe and check out for a few days.
Does the Holliday clan have another sibling they can send our way from Oklahoma - lol. They are averaging 16 runs a game in the regional. Some may know, but the patriarch, Tom, played for us in the 1970's.

Advertisement
Back