Canes All-Time NFL Team

No Tez is NOT in the convo at UM....He is without ANY doubt a step below Sapp and Jerome "At UM"....
The list is on the basis of production in the NFL. There are exactly 17 DTs in the HOF - 17 in the entire history of the league - 2 came through The U. Tez was one of them. There's zero chance he didn't earn the starting spot on the list based on his NFL career. The fact we have a third (JB) who would have been Hall worthy had he not died tragically is something we should celebrate and not be arguing over.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Well guess it takes all kinds.

To this very day Burt's hit on ex ND Joe Montana, as well as numerous other painful events involving Golden Domers, are still celebrated in my household
:pgdead:

That was hilarious haha.

Yea i know what you mean, but Montana was my guy. It was a few years later that i learned Jim Burt was a Cane as he was a little before my time and i couldn't help, but feel torn. Burt literally knocked him into 1988 as i don't think MOntana played in the 1987 season.

As an aside, Kennedy doesn’t get enough credit on these boards for his UM work. There is a reason he was the third overall pick in the draft. He was terrific at UM, even if more credit went to Maryland back then. As a Juco, Kennedy had a shorter Um career than some other guys but he was a dominant force. And is one of the best DTs of all time.

Iirc, john randle, warren sapp and tez are the only three interior dl to go to the hof from the past generation or two. Hampton was a combo guy, maybe he counts inside. Prior to them you have to go back to mean joe greene, merlin olsen, randy white.

The list is on the basis of production in the NFL. There are exactly 17 DTs in the HOF - 17 in the entire history of the league - 2 came through The U. Tez was one of them. There's zero chance he didn't earn the starting spot on the list based on his NFL career. The fact we have a third (JB) who would have been Hall worthy had he not died tragically is something we should celebrate and not be arguing over.
You did a great job compiling the list and only a moron would not understand that this was based on NFL production. Cortez Kennedy is in Canton for a reason and it’s the same reason he makes a starting DT spot. JB certainly appeared headed to the Hall but sadly his life was cut short by a tragic accident. Our talent on defense and the offensive skill positions was unequalled in college football.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Scary thing is, if you count JB also, 3 of the 4 best DTs of the 1980-2010 era were UM guys.
Yep and Big Russ was the #1 pick in the NFL draft. Rocket went to Canada and Jimmy called on Big Russ. 67 had a pretty good career himself, not bad for a guy that no one wanted out of High School!

Last edited by a moderator:
Crazy how Hendricks holds his own against so many UM greats that came after him. Yes, of all the old timers, Hendricks physical stature and game would translate to multiple eras. 4 Super Bowls rings as well.

Advertisement
Crazy how Hendricks holds his own against so many UM greats that came after him. Yes, of all the old timers, Hendricks physical stature and game would translate to multiple eras. 4 Super Bowls rings as well.
The Stork was the most dominant defensive player of his era. Freakish skills

He was LT before LT.....Mirror image of LT when he was a Colt (before Raiders)...LT gets the credit for the deviation from LBer too DE pre snap...but actually it was Hendricks.....

Hendricks sacked Spurrier 7 times in 66 I believe....In 1995 I was an Exec Sous Chef in SanDestin Fl...and the SEC would hold conference meetings/events at the Hilton where I worked.....Met alot of SEC coaches....Spurrier...Tubberville...Tubby Smith..etc....When I spoke too Spurrier (spoke very Highly of UM throughout convo) He said, Hendricks without question was the best he ever played against...said he was literally unstoppable...

Hendricks sacked Spurrier 7 times in 66 I believe....In 1995 I was an Exec Sous Chef in SanDestin Fl...and the SEC would hold conference meetings/events at the Hilton where I worked.....Met alot of SEC coaches....Spurrier...Tubberville...Tubby Smith..etc....When I spoke too Spurrier (spoke very Highly of UM throughout convo) He said, Hendricks without question was the best he ever played against...said he was literally unstoppable...

I was at that game at the swamp. UM jumped out to a 21-3 lead in the 3rd q. UF Then got a td for 6 in the 3rd and 7 more in the 4th to make it 21-16. UM tried to run out the clock but couldn't and punted with about 3 minutes to go. UF moved to the UM 30 with about 2:00 min. left.

First down was a sack by Ted for -7 yds. Second down, Ted is closing in on Spurrier and Spurrier throws it as hard as he could hitting Ted in the knee. Third down, Spurrier threw to his left away from Ted for 7 yds. and bringing up 4th down. Spurrier threw left again but it was incomplete and UM took over on downs, took a couple of knees and the game was over.

UF's summary of that drive was they stormed to the 30 but time ran out before they could score. Typical distortion by them.

ND came to Miami one year with Hanratty at qb and escaped with a 24-22 victory when Jim Cox could not get a foot down in bounds on a 2-pt conversion attempt late in the 4th qtr. At the press conference afterwards when Hanratty was asked about the plays Ted made against them, he responded with something akin to "He is not as good as everyone says he is." After the press guys recovered their senses, he said that Ted was much, much better than people were saying.

Advertisement
I'm not reading through this entire thread now, so i apologize if somebody else has posted it. Would you believe we are fifth in the number of inductees in the Pro Football HOF? (Actually, I guess we're tied for fourth.)

Schools with the most Hall of Famers​

Notre Dame (13)
Southern California (13)
Michigan (11)
Ohio State (10)
Miami - Florida (9)
Pittsburgh (9)
Alabama (8)
Syracuse (8)
Minnesota (7)
Illinois (6)

Most of the above schools were major factors in college football far earlier than we were. We did not begin to emerge as a major power until around 1950 or so. We had a major upset of Purdue in, I believe, 1951, which was regarded as a major development, because Purdue had just upset Notre Dame, I believe, which had been undefeated for about five or so years. People lined the streets going to the airport to greet the team. It was a big thing for us back then. Guys like Nick Chickillo and Frank Smith, I believe, were stars of that era.

Same thing OJ Simpson said on national TV right after he won the Heisman.

Interestingly, I believe Joe Namath said George Mira was the greatest QB he saw, outside of himself.

Advertisement
I'm not reading through this entire thread now, so i apologize if somebody else has posted it. Would you believe we are fifth in the number of inductees in the Pro Football HOF? (Actually, I guess we're tied for fourth.)

Schools with the most Hall of Famers​

Notre Dame (13)
Southern California (13)
Michigan (11)
Ohio State (10)
Miami - Florida (9)
Pittsburgh (9)
Alabama (8)
Syracuse (8)
Minnesota (7)
Illinois (6)

Most of the above schools were major factors in college football far earlier than we were. We did not begin to emerge as a major power until around 1950 or so. We had a major upset of Purdue in, I believe, 1951, which was regarded as a major development, because Purdue had just upset Notre Dame, I believe, which had been undefeated for about five or so years. People lined the streets going to the airport to greet the team. It was a big thing for us back then. Guys like Nick Chickillo and Frank Smith, I believe, were stars of that era.

we will be 3rd in a few years imo.

The dline The Mad Stork played on was really good. Imagine what better coaching could have done with that talent. We had some good assistants.
If Harold Allen was coaching that DL we had "better" coaching. That DL with Tatarek, Tony Cline, and maybe Gene Trosch or somebody else was pretty **** good.

The great thing about a realistic Miami All Time list is that IF the 2nd and 3rd teams were to play games against the 1st team the Las Vegas odds would probably be even

Advertisement
Back