Can you guys think of any football HC who was fired...

Advertisement
Yeah. It's a great point. One that I really hadn't thought much about. There might be something to it. I'm not sure why this situation will be any different. Maybe the realistic expectation is that Richt gets us back to a point where we are consistently winning 9-11 games a year and are a top 15 team before someone else comes in to get the Natty. I don't have a great reason to make a case why it will be different here. I'd love to hear from those that think it will.

Yeah. It's a great point. One that I really hadn't thought much about. There might be something to it. I'm not sure why this situation will be any different. Maybe the realistic expectation is that Richt gets us back to a point where we are consistently winning 9-11 games a year and are a top 15 team before someone else comes in to get the Natty. I don't have a great reason to make a case why it will be different here. I'd love to hear from those that think it will.

History tells us Rick has almost no chance of getting us to the top.

Like you said though, his own lengthy history tells us he can get us to consistent 9 and 10 win seasons. Maybe that'll be enough to get us in few ACCCG. Get in that ACCCG, and you never know.

Maybe he'll just be a bridge between horrible and title contender. Get us winning 9 or 10 per year for a decade then retire with the program on solid footing hopefully with a couple Coastal titles in there.

Like you said though, his own lengthy history tells us he can get us to consistent 9 and 10 win seasons. Maybe that'll be enough to get us in few ACCCG. Get in that ACCCG, and you never know.

Maybe he'll just be a bridge between horrible and title contender. Get us winning 9 or 10 per year for a decade then retire with the program on solid footing hopefully with a couple Coastal titles in there.

I concur. As horrible as this start has been, it's hard to succeed when the cupboards are bare. I do think we will get progressively better over the next year or two. On your point though, which seems legit. History seems to indicate that expectations shouldn't be a national championship or bust with Richt. If that's what the bar is set at, this board will be nothing but b*thcing. Personally, I'm thankful for some of the progress he has made off the field. We needed an IPF and he was a big part of that. I do think he gives us credibility with recruits and will not f*ck up the program with sanctions. Unfortunately, great coaches like Harbaugh and Herman set the bar so high for quick turnarounds.

Advertisement
The expectations for this program should always be national title. Richt has not met those expectations and probably won't for a few years. Give him time to get his guys in. We're all hungry to be back at the top but it's a big mountain to climb.

this will take 3 seasons of recruiting

we'll need to start 4 freshmen on the o line

When has Miami hired a coach who won a natty BEFORE coming to UM?

Y'all continue to think of this administration in a vacuum. Until it goes out and plucks an Urban Meyer, I refuse to believe it ever will.

The fact is UM shelling out 4 mil for Richt and another truckload for his staff was the victory. The IPF is another one. Simply stepping into the ring with modern college football from a monetary commitment standpoint was a win. Look at who we hired before Richt: NONE of them were wanted by major schools -- and none of them have been wanted since. Our last three HCs have spent a combined 4-5 seasons HCing since we canned them. All by Coker at UTSA when they started their freaking program, and then he got fired again.

That's the expectation imbalance Miami fans don't want to see: the glacial pace at which this Admin changes their mindset. We witnessed a tectonic move with the Richt hire, and it just barely brought us to a level playing field.

Now some of you are asking why we didn't hire an Urban or Saban, like UM's mindset is even in the same orbit as Alabama or Ohio State. It's not. It likely never will be. But hey, maybe if the fan base was juuuuust a bit more committed to the banner strategy we could get there.

This ^^^

Why is everyone getting so fired up about the OP's question? Frankly, it's an interesting question / analysis. There is probably an interesting discussion to be had (I've seen a few thoughtful responses) - but every thread seems to divulge into various insults these days between the pro richt crew and those questioning how richt is running the offense.
Because they're wounded pvssies looking for a gotcha moment or pretending to be prescient. It was a topic that could have led to a discussion but for the wounded pvssies and Rick's white knights of CIS.

How often, IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL, do guys get fired from high level jobs for not meeting expectations (which is different than being fired for violations or for a political beef with your AD like Holtz at Arkansas) and resurface at another high level program to win a title?

Why is it so rare that it's happened maybe once in history? It's certainly different than the NFL where there are several examples of fired HCs who have gone on to great success either in the NFL or college.

Maybe the wounded pvssies can bow out of this attempt to initiate a conversation and go back to chewing on dycks.

The premise of your question is wrong though. No coach has ever been fired after having the success at Georgia that Mark Richt had. You're acting like he got fired after losing 58-0, or got fired after a 6 win season. He got fired after a top ten finish. When has that ever happened?

Advertisement

I concur. As horrible as this start has been, it's hard to succeed when the cupboards are bare. I do think we will get progressively better over the next year or two. On your point though, which seems legit. History seems to indicate that expectations shouldn't be a national championship or bust with Richt. If that's what the bar is set at, this board will be nothing but b*thcing. Personally, I'm thankful for some of the progress he has made off the field. We needed an IPF and he was a big part of that. I do think he gives us credibility with recruits and will not f*ck up the program with sanctions. Unfortunately, great coaches like Harbaugh and Herman set the bar so high for quick turnarounds.

Even though he's been an abomination as a playcaller/OC, and I pin our loss of the Coastal on his failings as an OC, I think we're definitely in a better place as a program. If he can bring in a quality OC there's no reason we can't get this thing rolling at least as well as he did with UGA.

I think we need to accept he's going to have a very long leash because he's an alum and such a good dude and he'll win enough to keep the administration happy. Pretty sure he's going to be here as long as he wants to be, so hopefully he'll do much better than this year.

Why is everyone getting so fired up about the OP's question? Frankly, it's an interesting question / analysis. There is probably an interesting discussion to be had (I've seen a few thoughtful responses) - but every thread seems to divulge into various insults these days between the pro richt crew and those questioning how richt is running the offense.
Because they're wounded pvssies looking for a gotcha moment or pretending to be prescient. It was a topic that could have led to a discussion but for the wounded pvssies and Rick's white knights of CIS.

How often, IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL, do guys get fired from high level jobs for not meeting expectations (which is different than being fired for violations or for a political beef with your AD like Holtz at Arkansas) and resurface at another high level program to win a title?

Why is it so rare that it's happened maybe once in history? It's certainly different than the NFL where there are several examples of fired HCs who have gone on to great success either in the NFL or college.

Maybe the wounded pvssies can bow out of this attempt to initiate a conversation and go back to chewing on dycks.

The premise of your question is wrong though. No coach has ever been fired after having the success at Georgia that Mark Richt had. You're acting like he got fired after losing 58-0, or got fired after a 6 win season. He got fired after a top ten finish. When has that ever happened?

Ask your own question. Yours can be: Has a HC ever been fired after averaging 9.3 wins per season over 15 years? That's more of a UGA issue though.

Ask your own question. Yours can be: Has a HC ever been fired after averaging 9.3 wins per season over 15 years? That's more of a UGA issue though.

You used Georgia's assessment of his performance in the premise of your question.

Advertisement
Things are looking up for Petrino.

We could have gotten him.

And had we, Saban and Meyer would have a bad case of the sih**s today.

Petrino hasn't done anything on the field that Richt hasn't done. With Richt we at least get a clean program and stability.

You think Petrino would donate $1 million to get a IPF? No way in ****. He'd just be stringing us along until he got a bigger payday from an SEC team.

You think small, like a liberals do.

Petrino hasn't done anything on the field that Richt hasn't done. With Richt we at least get a clean program and stability.

You think Petrino would donate $1 million to get a IPF? No way in ****. He'd just be stringing us along until he got a bigger payday from an SEC team.

You think small, like a liberals do.

Like a liberals do? God why is there so much retardation in this forum. You can't even address the subject without getting in your feelings like a *****es do.

Another question.

Would UGA had fired Richt had they not been able to hire Kirby Dumb?

UGA, and any other program not named Ohio State, is fixated on Alabama's run of success. Rightfully so. Kirby Dumb, a UGA alumni, openly wanted the job, or was assumed to by the sports media. Dumb has been a high profile candidate for quite a few seasons but never left Saban's hip pocket. This all came together to give UGA an option of pushing Richt aside in order to buy into the Saban tree.

Which almost never works.

Advertisement

This fanbase don't want no coach like Petrino. He is too much of a savage for this safe space PC crowd.

Petrino took a 12-1 team and immediately lost 4 games. Then in the second year he lost 5 games. If he came to Miami, you children would have flown a banner half way through that first four-loss season.

ive brought this up more than a few times. funny how people keep ignoring this fact. It doesnt fit the "richt sucks" narrative thats stinking up this place.

Lu and Dmoney have turned this place into a cess pool.

Peterson didnt take over a terrible Washington team either.

I will say this. Coach Searels is *** cheeks.

You used Georgia's assessment of his performance in the premise of your question.

Ok

Another question.

Would UGA had fired Richt had they not been able to hire Kirby Dumb?

UGA, and any other program not named Ohio State, is fixated on Alabama's run of success. Rightfully so. Kirby Dumb, a UGA alumni, openly wanted the job, or was assumed to by the sports media. Dumb has been a high profile candidate for quite a few seasons but never left Saban's hip pocket. This all came together to give UGA an option of pushing Richt aside in order to buy into the Saban tree.

Which almost never works.

Rick was on and off the hot seat for a few years at UGA. If UGA had a HC they were happy with they wouldn't give a fck what Kirby Dumb was doing. Dumb was just a DC. It's not like he was a hot young proven HC at a lower level looking to move up.

Ok

So the premise of your question is wrong.

Advertisement
Back