Can Tate play right away?

Advertisement
The abundant pre-college high school credits HE DOES HAVE and his pre-graduate course load have been analyzed in depth in other threads, and it seems he can have a 2019 graduation in time (to play) if Miami (Medical?) School accepts it all. He probably expects "yes" which is why Brevin might say what he says.

Likely no way Diaz can speak for the graduate administration, other than to try hard for fast answers. Has to be **** for Hurts, who seems to want to play here if he has the starting role wrapped up. Beating Jarren is one thing, but Martell?

Probably Hurts will wait a few days to see if Martell's academic future (and eligibility) can be established with more certainty. I almost wish Martell will be told "no" for 2019 just so Hurts may pick here.

I'm not sure where the Medical school keeps coming from, but his major at Ohio State is Communications.

Edit: Here's a link to his OSU bio: https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/roster/tate-martell/

Last edited:
He generally plays to his personnel. He is not like Mark. He doesn't stick to a status quo.

Yeah I've heard he plays to his personnel, which is huge for us because we're STACKED at the skill positions. Just need OL help. QB is going to be especially important if we continue to struggle running the football.

I'm not sure where the Medical school keeps coming from, but his major at Ohio State is Communications.
They have been calling him Dr. Martell (to be) all over the place and mentioning Medical School. But I defer to your info.

Advertisement
you have no clue what you are talking about
he has been in college 2 years, 1 redshirt, he has 3 years of eligibility left he may have to sit 1 of the 3 with the transfer

So we're both saying he's going to have to sit one year to be eligible for more than one year, but I have no idea what I'm talking about. OK. Thanks.

You're saying this as if the rules for undergraduates are the same for graduate students. I sincerely doubt that's the case. In three years the dude could literally get a Ph D. The NCAA is rarely that straightforward.

But at this point, I don't know and I really don't want to read NCAA bylaws to get sources. Short of you providing them, the only thing left is for us to see what happens.

So we're both saying he's going to have to sit one year to be eligible for more than one year, but I have no idea what I'm talking about. OK. Thanks.

You're saying this as if the rules for undergraduates are the same for graduate students. I sincerely doubt that's the case. In three years the dude could literally get a Ph D. The NCAA is rarely that straightforward.

But at this point, I don't know and I really don't want to read NCAA bylaws to get sources. Short of you providing them, the only thing left is for us to see what happens.

for the 7th time, he has 3 years left, if he stayed at OSU he could play 3, transferring to Miami he either sits 1 and can play 2, or he gets to play all 3.

Nathan Peterman RS his 1st year. Played 2 years at Tennessee. Graduated and went on to play 2 years at Pitt.

Advertisement
Totally with you on this. I brought over some college credits, took two summers, and still was only in a position to graduate a semester early. Bu ***'s possible, especially if you enroll with lots of credits from high school. I read somewhere he spent a semester at some college before enrolling at OSU.
It was attempted to be cleared up by an OSU guy on the Miami 247 board. (For what it's worth. Dude wasn't hating he was helping so seemed believable.) Anyway what you're saying is exactly the case. Martell had enough HS taken college credits that he is indeed set to graduate in May making him eligible next year if he does so. That's how he graduated so early.

for the 7th time, he has 3 years left, if he stayed at OSU he could play 3, transferring to Miami he either sits 1 and can play 2, or he gets to play all 3.

OK, on quick research, you're right about remaining eligibility. You're arguing the same thing against me on sitting out this year vs. not, and that's the crux of the issue anyway.

If he's going to graduate in May, he's coming in for fall practice and that's it.

Weird thing is that either way, it makes sense to try and bring Hurts in just as much as it did before Martell committed.

It seems (from reading NCAA) that "if the graduate degree program is NOT offered at" the undergraduate school, one can transfer and not have to sit out a year. I think the Miami Medical School was a hypothetical based upon possibly being something at Miami but not at OSU< to be used for that "loophole".

It was attempted to be cleared up by an OSU guy on the Miami 247 board. (For what it's worth. Dude wasn't hating he was helping so seemed believable.) Anyway what you're saying is exactly the case. Martell had enough HS taken college credits that he is indeed set to graduate in May making him eligible next year if he does so. That's how he graduated so early.

It's a really weird position. Ideally he comes down NOW, but that screws up all sorts of stuff. So he stays until May, is eligible to play immediately, already has a Bachelor's degree, doesn't get screwed out of transferring credits to Miami (he would), and gets left with three years to play and earn a freaking Doctorate.

Separately, for people saying Med school... I seriously, seriously doubt a guy could play football and go through med school. Especially considering UHealth is not on campus. Not saying he can't do it just don't see it.

Advertisement
OK, on quick research, you're right about remaining eligibility. You're arguing the same thing against me on sitting out this year vs. not, and that's the crux of the issue anyway.

If he's going to graduate in May, he's coming in for fall practice and that's it.

Weird thing is that either way, it makes sense to try and bring Hurts in just as much as it did before Martell committed.

sitting out is up to ncaa waiver or early graduate status, doesn't change he only has 3 years left to play 3 no more, no less. (unless a medical redshirt happens with an INJ)

Agree Hurts would be a huge addition because, at this point looks like Martel will have to sit 1 or like you said graduate and come in the summer

lets load up, its been a nice few weeks finally

sitting out is up to ncaa waiver or early graduate status, doesn't change he only has 3 years left to play 3 no more, no less. (unless a medical redshirt happens with an INJ)

Agree Hurts would be a huge addition because, at this point looks like Martel will have to sit 1 or like you said graduate and come in the summer

lets load up, its been a nice few weeks finally

Yeah that makes sense. Really weird it works out that way. I can't think of anyone who took a grad transfer with three years of eligibility left. He might make more money off a good degree than an NFL career.

The thing about Hurts is he takes us from "we still need a QB to be good this year" to "we're ready to roll." We need to really have a good season this year to start building out the depth. All these grad transfers don't last long.

Advertisement
Not to beat a dead horse, but I wonder how complicated it could actually get. Let's say he transfers to Miami and avoids sitting out a year because Miami had a Grad Med school and OSU didn't... (The LOOPHOLE)...

...then (*hypothetically) after 1 semester decides "I hate this medical stuff Im going back to Communications". I wonder if NCAA would THEN yank a year back, or has even faced this situation recently (under revised transfer rules.)

So he posted that he's planning on finishing up his degree (I'm assuming his associates) and transferring after the spring semester which would allow him to be eligible as a grad transfer but every report is saying he's going to have to sit a year. Anyone got any idea about this?

Yeah that makes sense. Really weird it works out that way. I can't think of anyone who took a grad transfer with three years of eligibility left. He might make more money off a good degree than an NFL career.

The thing about Hurts is he takes us from "we still need a QB to be good this year" to "we're ready to roll." We need to really have a good season this year to start building out the depth. All these grad transfers don't last long.

ya pretty unusual that he could graduate transfer so fast. We for sure need a big year, if we have any qb play we should roll through the coastal and be back in the spotlight, schedule is terrible, we will have more talent that any team we play or as much, 10 wins is a must, Hurts gives us a chance at 12.
recruits will flock back, kid are fickle

Advertisement
Back