Can Tate play right away?

Advertisement
The abundant pre-college high school credits HE DOES HAVE and his pre-graduate course load have been analyzed in depth in other threads, and it seems he can have a 2019 graduation in time (to play) if Miami (Medical?) School accepts it all. He probably expects "yes" which is why Brevin might say what he says.

Likely no way Diaz can speak for the graduate administration, other than to try hard for fast answers. Has to be **** for Hurts, who seems to want to play here if he has the starting role wrapped up. Beating Jarren is one thing, but Martell?

Probably Hurts will wait a few days to see if Martell's academic future (and eligibility) can be established with more certainty. I almost wish Martell will be told "no" for 2019 just so Hurts may pick here.
The elephant in the room is Enos. If he promise Jalen the job, does it matter especially if he know Tate will not only miss Spring football if this is true, he doesn't have familiarity with the system.

Hurts has experience, leadership, and familiarity with this system. If even it's a competition, Tate doesn't have much of a chance to win if Jalen has such an advantage. We saw at Bama that Tua really never had a shot to win the job as a freshman. That was before Enos but it's highly unlikely that Jalen would come and not be the starter. Especially when Martell will have such limited reps in this system.

If Martell is here which I have heard he will be, he will get reps but no eligibility for 2019. Either way, this gives the other guys like Jarren, N'kosi and Cade an advantage over Tate just due to spring football. Now we know they are unlikely to beat out Tate for the job, we also know there will be a learning curve.

This is not as bang bang as we think. That said, our situation is A LOT more fluid now than yesterday. Having a big time college football talent like Martell is a tremendous get and we know he has been coached up and we know he has a lot of talented and a possible NFL career and possibly a lot more.

That's what I am most happy about.

The elephant in the room is Enos. If he promise Jalen the job, does it matter especially if he know Tate will not only miss Spring football if this is true, he doesn't have familiarity with the system.

Hurts has experience, leadership, and familiarity with this system. If even it's a competition, Tate doesn't have much of a chance to win if Jalen has such an advantage. We saw at Bama that Tua really never had a shot to win the job as a freshman. That was before Enos but it's highly unlikely that Jalen would come and not be the starter. Especially when Martell will have such limited reps in this system.

I think, given the circumstances, we should be calling Enos the Hurricane in the room. Good points here, and I think lend even more credibility to Martell sitting this year and us trying to land Hurts for one season.

The question you haven't stated is how much will this offense look like Bama's vs. how much of it will be from Enos. I'm sure there will be an advantage in the learning curve for Hurts given terminology and whatnot, just questioning how much of an implicit advantage he'll have.

Advertisement
You could have more than one year as a grad transfer. Boulware had 2 years left as a grad transfer when he came but choose to go undrafted.

I don't think we're talking about the same thing. Boulware sat out a season.

My understanding is you can graduate and be eligible immediately if you transfer to a school that offers a graduate major in a field of study that your current school does not. But then you only get one year.

Maybe you can get two years under different circumstances, but pretty sure you'd have to sit out.

Admittedly you can apply for a waiver but you need to have a reason.

I think, given the circumstances, we should be calling Enos the Hurricane in the room. Good points here, and I think lend even more credibility to Martell sitting this year and us trying to land Hurts for one season.

The question you haven't stated is how much will this offense look like Bama's vs. how much of it will be from Enos. I'm sure there will be an advantage in the learning curve for Hurts given terminology and whatnot, just questioning how much of an implicit advantage he'll have.
We have the personnel to run an identical offense. One that preps players for the NFL but plays to their strengths.

Its definitely a system NFL evaluators respect.

My understanding is you can graduate and be eligible immediately if you transfer to a school that offers a graduate major in a field of study that your current school does not. But then you only get one year.

Maybe you can get two years under different circumstances, but pretty sure you'd have to sit out.

you have 5 years to play 4, if you graduate in 2 you don't lose the remaining years, most kids cant do that

Advertisement

Context. What I was actually saying here was he's not eligible to play more than one year if he's a grad transfer and doesn't sit out a season.

I can't think of any scenario in watching CFB for 25+ years where a guy was a grad transfer, eligible immediately, and had two years of eligibility, without any sort of medical hardship waiver, etc.

you have 5 years to play 4, if you graduate in 2 you don't lose the remaining years, most kids cant do that

Wrong.

You have five years to play four IF you don't sit out a season. You only get to play four. You have more than five years to do it.

Context. What I was actually saying here was he's not eligible to play more than one year if he's a grad transfer and doesn't sit out a season.

I can't think of any scenario in watching CFB for 25+ years where a guy was a grad transfer, eligible immediately, and had two years of eligibility, without any sort of medical hardship waiver, etc.

he would still have 2 years even if he sits out 2019, he is a red shirt freshman this season

Yeah Boulware did graduate from Tennessee last May then enrolled at Miami in the summer as a redshirt Junior. Never had to sit out. He would have had 1 year of eligibility left after this last season had he stayed. Don’t know what his major was.

Advertisement
We have the personnel to run an identical offense. One that preps players for the NFL but plays to their strengths.

Its definitely a system NFL evaluators respect.

I'm not debating the merits of the offense, just questioning how much of that is what Enos wants to run vs. how much of his own stuff he'll be running.

Yeah Boulware did graduate from Tennessee last May then enrolled at Miami in the summer as a redshirt Junior. Never had to sit out. He would have had 1 year of eligibility left after this last season had he stayed. Don’t know what his major was.

As per his Miami bio, he played at Tenn 2015-2016 then Miami in 2018. Meaning he didn't play in 2017.

Advertisement
No. He would have two years left ONLY if he sat 2019. If he played in 2019 that would be his only season left. That's my hypothesis.

you have no clue what you are talking about
he has been in college 2 years, 1 redshirt, he has 3 years of eligibility left he may have to sit 1 of the 3 with the transfer

he would still have 2 years even if he sits out 2019, he is a red shirt freshman this season

Correct if he sits out a year he has 2 years of eligibility remaining. If he somehow graduates in May then transfers, he will have 3 years left to play.

Two years is enough time to do work. Tua will have had two years. Kyler 1 year. Martell can master this system, we are talking Heisman and top 10 NFL draft pick. NFL loves experience from the QB position.

Advertisement
Back