Camron Davis highlights

I get that. It'll be fun to see how it plays out.

I think Cam would've had a role if he came in the same class as Gus, Yearby, or Walton.

But now that our RB talent is back to where it should be with Homer/Dallas/Lingard - I think it's going to be hard for players like Cam & Burns to see the field. And we're hopefully bringing in more talented guys behind them.

Davis & Burns have talent, just not the same level. Sometimes it's just a numbers game. I think anything either RB gives us is a bonus, but I'm not expecting much from either.
Cam Davis is way more talented than you are giving him credit for period. You know what top 5 running back in this class never rushed for more than 800 yards in any season? James cook who just signed with uga, stats don’t tell the whole story period. Plus cam Davis is an excellent receiver and excelled at other events. At this stage of his career I like Him more than Walton right now with his college build already 5’10 195 and he has some breakaway speed

Advertisement
WTF! Unless he was injured, something doesn't add up here. He's rated in the top 10 RBs in the nation and his highlights look great. How do you reconcile that with 3.5 ypc and 271 yards for the season?

I think that lack of production has a lot to do with his 3 Star #25 overall RB ranking on 247.

I think his high ranking has a lot to with:

1) He definitely looks the part. He has a great build/frame for a RB and has good speed.
2) He blew up during the 2016 playoffs after Nyquan Wright got hurt and he became the starter. In 5 playoff games he went 51 for 443, 8.7 ypc, 9 TD's.

The red flags for me are:

1) Terrence Horne went 32 for 247, 7.7 ypc, 3 TD's in those same 5 playoff games. Horne switched from WR to RB after wright got hurt and put up big numbers in those games too. Horne is a 5-9 165 3 Star ATH that signed with USF this year.
2) Outside of the 2016 playoffs, Davis as a Soph-Senior stats are 218 for 947, 4.3 ypc, 12 TD's.

The Daytona Mainland game where he went 9 for 156, 17.3 ypc, 3 TD's is really the game everyone who is a fan of his will point to. But I'm cautious of 1 game wonders. I think that's how you make recruiting mistakes like Charlie Jones, Kylan Robinson, Anthony McFarland, etc.

Cam Davis is way more talented than you are giving him credit for period. You know what top 5 running back in this class never rushed for more than 800 yards in any season? James cook who just signed with uga, stats don’t tell the whole story period. Plus cam Davis is an excellent receiver and excelled at other events. At this stage of his career I like Him more than Walton right now with his college build already 5’10 195 and he has some breakaway speed

Well that's a shocker.

You also liked Yearby more than Duke. then you liked Walton more than Yearby. Then you liked Walton more than Saquon Barkley. Now you like Davis more than Walton.

Brock - you just like EVERY Hurricane RB. There's no thought behind what you say, it's just blind homersim (which I appreciate - it balances out people like me).

If you had put any thought into your last post then you wouldn't be acting like Cam Davis is doing something James Cook didn't:

Cam Davis
Soph - 69 for 299, 4.3 ypc, 3 TD
Junior - 123 for 823, 6.7 ypc, 13 TD
Senior - 77 for 271, 3.5 ypc, 5 TD

James Cook
Soph - 99 for 709, 7.2 ypc, 8 TD
Junior - 68 for 628, 9.2 ypc, 12 TD
Senior - 91 for 782, 8.6, 10 TD

Cook has 11 less career carries then Davis. Cook also has 729 more yds and 9 more TD's than Davis.

Well that's a shocker.

You also liked Yearby more than Duke. then you liked Walton more than Yearby. Then you liked Walton more than Saquon Barkley. Now you like Davis more than Walton.

Brock - you just like EVERY Hurricane RB. There's no thought behind what you say, it's just blind homersim (which I appreciate - it balances out people like me).

If you had put any thought into your last post then you wouldn't be acting like Cam Davis is doing something James Cook didn't:

Cam Davis
Soph - 69 for 299, 4.3 ypc, 3 TD
Junior - 123 for 823, 6.7 ypc, 13 TD
Senior - 77 for 271, 3.5 ypc, 5 TD

James Cook
Soph - 99 for 709, 7.2 ypc, 8 TD
Junior - 68 for 628, 9.2 ypc, 12 TD
Senior - 91 for 782, 8.6, 10 TD

Cook has 11 less career carries then Davis. Cook also has 729 more yds and 9 more TD's than Davis.
When did I like Yearby more than cook?

Advertisement
I think Carol City's poor offense definitely but contributed. But the Carol City rushing stats from this year:

Volaskis Walkins - 41 for 279 yds, 6.8 ypc, 4 TD's
Cam Davis - 77 for 271 yds, 3.5 ypc, 5 TD's
Legend Moore (QB) - 32 for 252 yds, 7.9 ypc, 6 TD's
Marlon Smith (QB) - 29 for 174 yds, 6.0 ypc, 3 TD's

In my mind, if Davis is a 4* RB, he can't be outpaced by everyone else on the team, regardless of how he's being used. I agree with Franchise that elite HS RB's can make plays for themselves.

Those stats are missing several games. 247 posted them and Davis was iirc 105 carries for 507 yards. He also had a bunch of catches.

Obviously not great, but anyone who watched Carol City play knows how terrible their OL was.

He posted pretty big #s his Jr years, so saying he can't play is dumb

Advertisement
If burns would have stayed healthy in high school I think he would have easily been a 5 star recruit. Call me crazy but I still have a touch of hope he gets some touches without losing a leg.

Advertisement

Classic broke.

Those stats are missing several games. 247 posted them and Davis was iirc 105 carries for 507 yards. He also had a bunch of catches.

Obviously not great, but anyone who watched Carol City play knows how terrible their OL was.

I thought so! That's why I asked for game-by-game...

I could have sworn I seen 500+ yards too! Again he wasn't setting any records, but it seems like he would get 15 carries against the MNW of the league, and about 5-7 against the weker teams...They had no O-line and their big play guys and defense would get em leads in those games and they would keep the tread off his tires the rest of the game.

Is Davis a little bit of a camp warrior, with some limitations? Do I worry he is a little small for a back with a "power backr" style. Maybe...But i think he can help receiving and as a return man as well. When you watch his runs, he looks like Miami level...That's what matters, not stats.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You know our roster is getting better and better when our “number 2” back in the recruiting class and probably the 4th RB on the depth chart is this stud. Is he the perfect prospect? No but he’s for dam sure talented as ****.

There are 2 things here where I think the point is being missed:

1) It's not number of yards gained, it's ypc. If you're a 4 star RB and averaging under 5 ypc, it's a red flag, no matter what. But if you're averaging under 5 ypc while 3 other players on the same team are averaging 6+ ypc, then it's really a red flag. It negates the "It's the OL" argument if 3 other players on the same team have a higher ypc. I'm not saying Davis sucks, I'm just saying me personally - I look at his highlights and all of these big runs and say to myself, something doesn't add up, and it's not the OL.

My take in watching the highlights, where I think Davis struggles:

Cutting/agility/lateral movement - He looks like a very tight, with little wiggle. He cuts look very rounded vs. quick change of direction cuts. He's mostly a straight line runner with little change of direction. Homer is this way too, but Homer looks to have much more agility than Davis IMO. If the hole is there Davis can hit it and make a big play, but I could say the same for Homer/Dallas/Lingard. Davis doesn't have any advantage there.

Power - I don't see him initiating contact on any of his runs. He can make people bounce off once he has a head of steam, but I'm not seeing him meeting anyone in the hole, bouncing off and running through them. Another poster mentioned people that played against him thought he was soft. I don' know about soft, but it looks like a valid concern to me. He looks like a power back who doesn't run powerfully (a common complaint against Gus Edwards).

Those are the red flags I see in his highlights.

2) I'm not saying he sucks. I'm saying a 4 Star, #10 RB in the country is overrating him. I'm saying the 3 star #25 RB in the country 247 rated him as is more accurate, and his stats and the reasons above are why I feel that way.

I already said he could compete with Yearby and Walton. He's bigger and faster than those guys. But he'll be competing against Homer/Dalls/Lingard. He doesn't hold a size or speed advantage against any of them. Yes, he's similar in size and speed - but I don't think he's the runner that any of those 3 are.

Burns is our biggest RB. Homer is the fastest. Dallas is the best receiver and most versatile. Lingard is the best pure runner. Size/Speed/Receiving/Running Ability/Power - I wouldn't put Davis in the Top 3 in any of those categories compared to the other RB's on the roster.

So I'm not saying Davis can't play at all. Davis is talented - it's just that Homer/Dallas/Lingard are MORE talented - so he's going to have a hard time getting on the field. If he were at NC St., he'd probably be battling for the starting position right now.

Davis/Yearby/Walton/Cooper/Moss - These were all highly rated 4/5 star RB's that I felt were overrated. If they were rated accurately - they'd be more like high 3 star talents, IMO. I went through the same thing on this board with them that I am with Davis now.

It's just my opinion. Maybe Davis is the next Lamar Miller. Plenty of people on this board smarter than me think that's the case. I'm wrong all the time. I just think, if you look, there's plenty of things that point him being a good/solid college RB vs. him being a stud RB.

Last edited:
That’s not saying much, I clearly Said i love duke but we weren’t missing anything with the way yearby was running at the time

Well...you said we weren't missing anything AT ALL by going from Duke to Yearby. Then you go on to say Yearby is tougher, quicker, and has better vision than Duke.

I know you love Duke. You love EVERY Miami RB - that's my point.

That's why 2 months after comparing Yearby to Duke, you make posts like this - https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/walton-yearby.93704/

"Gus the best back on the team. We missed gus this year, regardless I want to see more of trayone gray. I feel like yearby can never get in a groove because Tim ice Harris take him out so much just to get Walton touches. I like Walton too though"

Your blind homerism is great. We probably need more fans like you. I just have a different approach.

That's why when people are comparing Yearby to Duke Johnson/Warrick Dunn, i'm using stats and what I see to explain that Graig Cooper is a more accruate comparison - https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/joseph-yearby-freshman-highlights.86688/

And I'm doing the same thing with Davis now. Davis is not Lamar Miller.

Advertisement
Back