Camron Davis comparison

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Camron Davis has gotten lost in the shuffle of the 2018 class. But watching the NFL Draft last week, I couldn't help but notice the similarities between Davis and Rashaad Penny, the Seattle Seahawks' first round pick out of San Diego St.

Both guys have similar running styles with solid builds and home run speed. They don't have elite quicks or contact balance, but they are strong with good vision. And both are excellent receivers.

Camron Davis

5'10, 190, 4.50, 4.34 shuttle, 31.4 VJ, 10.94 100M (verified)

Rashaad Penny

6', 181, 4.68, 4.50 shuttle, 30.6 VJ, 11.20 100M (verified)

Advertisement
Cam has been slept on by most fans around here, imo his film was more impressive than Lingawds. Not saying he’s better , their styles are completely different.

They compliment each other perfect.
Btw , Penny comparison isn’t bad.

I don’t know what SDSU is doing but they keep rb’s running for crazy yards. Seems like every year. I know they’re one of the few teams lining up in power sets and running off tackle and iso’s.

I don’t know what SDSU is doing but they keep rb’s running for crazy yards. Seems like every year. I know they’re one of the few teams lining up in power sets and running off tackle and iso’s.

That offense is beautiful. If their HC (Rocky Long) was younger, some Big 10 would have snatched him up. SDSU beat Stanford at their own game this year.

That offense is beautiful. If their HC (Rocky Long) was younger, some Big 10 would have snatched him up. SDSU beat Stanford at their own game this year.
Cam has been slept on by most fans around here, imo his film was more impressive than Lingawds. Not saying he’s better , their styles are completely different.

football schemes are all copycat. i've noticed that since everyteram is running spread, the teams that run power iso etc are having great success because teams aren't used to it

I watch a lot of their games late nights, it’s like watching football in a time machine. I formation , strong / weak and split backs. Takes me back.

As an Eagles fan I was pumped when we drafted Donnel Pumphrey, loved watching that dude . Unfortunately he got hurt early in camp or ore season. Imo he’s the reason we didn’t go rb in the draft, even though most expected us too.

One of the best smaller rbs I’ve ever seen, dude was 185 pounds carrying the rock 35-40 times a game. Unreal physicality for that size.

Advertisement
football schemes are all copycat. i've noticed that since everyteram is running spread, the teams that run power iso etc are having great success because teams aren't used to it

Yep, because most spreads are finnesse, and the defenses are accustomed to practicing against that.

So when they face a nasty , physical ol playing downhill it’s shocking. Man on man, smash mouth football is rarely seen nowadays.

Isn't that what Richt wants to do?

Imo it seems MR wants to run more hybrid /multiple style offense. Use spread formations to wear down defenses , then go more power football late in games. Hence why he was so set on getting a fb in this last class.

Not sure we have the ol to play a physical brand , or at least not as much as he would want. That’s why I expect more spread this year.

Imo it seems MR wants to run more hybrid /multiple style offense. Use spread formations to wear down defenses , then go more power football late in games. Hence why he was so set on getting a fb in this last class.

Not sure we have the ol to play a physical brand , or at least not as much as he would want. That’s why I expect more spread this year.

My impression is that he would gladly pound the ball up the middle at every opportunity if we had the OL for it. I'm sure the truth is closer to what you're saying, but he would definitely like to run more consistently. Anyone who's seen our 3rd down conversion rate should be onboard with a beefed up run game.

Advertisement
My impression is that he would gladly pound the ball up the middle at every opportunity if we had the OL for it. I'm sure the truth is closer to what you're saying, but he would definitely like to run more consistently. Anyone who's seen our 3rd down conversion rate should be onboard with a beefed up run game.

Yep, the ol is coming doe. After the 19 class we should be ready to roll.

I love Penny’s game. I think he’s gonna be solid in Seattle. But I think Cams lateral quickness is on another level from Penny. I think Penny weighs 220+ now. I don’t see Cam getting that big.

Advertisement
A glaring difference of course is that one is wildly productive with I believe over 5k rushing yards and over ten yards per carry, and one is shockingly underproductive for his rating and you would think isn’t destined for division 1 football if you look at his stat line.

Let’s hope this comparison holds up. Also not sure where you got that 40 on Penny but he clocked a sub 4.5 at the combine, and his 247 recruiting profile says 4.5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Cam is slept on i liked his film more than Linguard tbh an i know Homer stepped up last year but Deejay, Lorenzo, an Cam are elite backs!!! I would love to see split back Shotgun with Deejay at qb Linguard, an Cam at RB with zone read or even some play action dump passes like TE pop play or catch the Defence in a mismatch trying to stop the run!!! I like that better than the wildcat!!

Also not sure where you got that 40 on Penny but he clocked a sub 4.5 at the combine, and his 247 recruiting profile says 4.5.

Both sets of numbers are from the NIKE Camp. Track numbers are from Athletic.net. Camron Davis is faster at the same age but there is a long way to go.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/160396/rashaad-penny

I think Penny weighs 220+ now. I don’t see Cam getting that big.

Penny is a couple inches taller so he had some more room to add weight. Davis will probably end up around 210+. Their play strength should be pretty similar.

Most knowledgeable fans know all about him. I just think we temper our expectations because of how poor his production was his last year of H.S.

His highlights do look very impressive. And FWIW, he was highly-rated by the "experts." (top 10 RB in the country).

Advertisement
Back