Cam Ward to Portal

Rough days are the best days. Was a professional as a kid and my brother runs a boat in the keys.
Keys fishing is the best. Almost guaranteed. My cousin lives in big pine so usually make a couple trips down there every year. He has this tower that is 40 miles into the gulf side where you catch the biggest yellow tail snapper I’ve ever seen. But also get your AJs and caught some nice Cobia. I was there in July and we always seem to get into schools of hundreds of mahi. That 6 foot day im just happy we had vets on the boat because if there was an amateur they would have been ****ting their pants at times.

Advertisement
Keys fishing is the best. Almost guaranteed. My cousin lives in big pine so usually make a couple trips down there every year. He has this tower that is 40 miles into the gulf side where you catch the biggest yellow tail snapper I’ve ever seen. But also get your AJs and caught some nice Cobia. I was there in July and we always seem to get into schools of hundreds of mahi. That 6 foot day im just happy we had vets on the boat because if there was an amateur they would have been ****ting their pants at times.
reminds me of a story.

i took a bunch of vets out on a rough day. all the way to the stream. the female vets were puking their guts out. i asked them if they wanted me to return to the dock. they all said **** f@cking no.

Cobia are a blast, great spot off Harkers Island in NC.

I grew up in the Keys. We knew there was good fishing in the Gulf but we never traveled that far on the ocean side for fish. The reef always had good snapper, Sailfish, grouper, King, Wahoo. Cobia would be found inside the reef on massive eagle rays. AJs can be caught off wrecks or humps. Tuna (blackfin) off the humps. Mahi used to be easy but now it is a struggle to catch big ones. Did you catch the Mahi on the gulf side under the tower or other debris or under birds?

Advertisement
reminds me of a story.

i took a bunch of vets out on a rough day. all the way to the stream. the female vets were puking their guts out. i asked them if they wanted me to return to the dock. they all said **** f@cking no.
Whenever I have friends come in town I tell them of you are worried take Dramamine the night before because if you get sick we are not coming back.

I grew up in the Keys. We knew there was good fishing in the Gulf but we never traveled that far on the ocean side for fish. The reef always had good snapper, Sailfish, grouper, King, Wahoo. Cobia would be found inside the reef on massive eagle rays. AJs can be caught off wrecks or humps. Tuna (blackfin) off the humps. Mahi used to be easy but now it is a struggle to catch big ones. Did you catch the Mahi on the gulf side under the tower or other debris or under birds?
I didn’t elaborate, two stories running together. We went ocean side when I was in town last and caught the Mahi. Had to go way further out than typical because only small stuff inside. We got into a school that had a bunch of small/medium mahi but we got close to 10 10-15 lbers which is bigger than I usually catch in the keys. We were in close to 1000 foot of water. Feel like I catch more mahi with size up here in fort pierce to west palm area. We did also catch a smaller wahoo.

The radio tower was a very cool experience every type of fish you can imagine out there. We caught some small tuna and mahi. As well as giant yellow tail, AJs, than some really big bull sharks came through and that’s when we caught the cobia.

reminds me of a story.

There's a big difference between 4-6 ft rollers and 4-6 ft and choppy. The only time I've ever hurled was from the chop. Alcohol might have been a factor.

I just checked out the link that is the tower but it looked a little different because how rough it was when I was there. Also I’m not going diving in that water after those bull sharks I saw. I like diving but not a shark guy. Only took one quick picture that day

Attachments

• IMG_1937.jpeg
    IMG_1937.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 68031076977__1DCD759D-70C6-4CC7-A0A7-5B0147C8C07A.jpeg
    68031076977__1DCD759D-70C6-4CC7-A0A7-5B0147C8C07A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Advertisement
Whenever I have friends come in town I tell them of you are worried take Dramamine the night before because if you get sick we are not coming back.
the trick is half to a full pill the night before and only half a pill at least 1 hour before getting on the boat.

the above has never failed me as long as the angler follows it.

There's a big difference between 4-6 ft rollers and 4-6 ft and choppy. The only time I've ever hurled was from the chop. Alcohol might have been a factor.
the chop sucks, the roller not so much.

i don't mind the chop because, again, the fishing turns on.

from what i have read (i believe it was in science america or the smtihsonian mag), the fish vomit because they too get sea sick so they have constantly eat to replenish what they vomited.

I didn’t elaborate, two stories running together. We went ocean side when I was in town last and caught the Mahi. Had to go way further out than typical because only small stuff inside. We got into a school that had a bunch of small/medium mahi but we got close to 10 10-15 lbers which is bigger than I usually catch in the keys. We were in close to 1000 foot of water. Feel like I catch more mahi with size up here in fort pierce to west palm area. We did also catch a smaller wahoo.

The radio tower was a very cool experience every type of fish you can imagine out there. We caught some small tuna and mahi. As well as giant yellow tail, AJs, than some really big bull sharks came through and that’s when we caught the cobia.

In the 90's, you would have to be a bad fisherman to not catch a mahi over 20 on most days in the Keys. My brother and I would average ten over 20 with 1-2 over 40 most days. Something has changed because you don't see big Mahi in the Keys. Either Chinese boats, water temps, currents, or some combination. We know people are catching big fish coming from the Atlantic through the Bahamas. My guess: every country from Columbia to the USA is over fishing the waters for Mahi before they get to the Keys. The big fish caught off of Florida north of Key Largo are coming directly from the Atlantic and missing the overfished waters of the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico.

Gulf-stream-e1614712880229.jpg

Advertisement
Just believe Ward is headed to the draft. So ... who do we go after assuming Howard is USC? Finn is gone.
He’s gotta take a look at Jayden Daniels and see that could be him. There’s easy 5-6 QBs ahead of Ward going to the draft. Not saying the guys are better than him but their stock is perceived to be higher because of the years they had and Ward’s considered to be a “raw” talent with a high ceiling.

With the weapons and protection we can put around him, he could have a Daniels like season and spring board himself to the top of the board for next year.

He’s gotta take a look at Jayden Daniels and see that could be him. There’s easy 5-6 QBs ahead of Ward going to the draft. Not saying the guys are better than him but their stock is perceived to be higher because of the years they had and Ward’s considered to be a “raw” talent with a high ceiling.

With the weapons and protection we can put around him, he could have a Daniels like season and spring board himself to the top of the board for next year.
Oh, I agree, and that is the strategy that makes the most sense. Hope that Ward and his family go that way.

Advertisement
In the 90's, you would have to be a bad fisherman to not catch a mahi over 20 on most days in the Keys. My brother and I would average ten over 20 with 1-2 over 40 most days. Something has changed because you don't see big Mahi in the Keys. Either Chinese boats, water temps, currents, or some combination. We know people are catching big fish coming from the Atlantic through the Bahamas. My guess: every country from Columbia to the USA is over fishing the waters for Mahi before they get to the Keys. The big fish caught off of Florida north of Key Largo are coming directly from the Atlantic and missing the overfished waters of the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico.

Gulf-stream-e1614712880229.jpg
That would make a lot of sense. Yes you have to weed through a lot of peanut dolphin now. I haven’t seen a good 30 plus pounder in over 15 years. I know people catch them but very rarely.

the trick is half to a full pill the night before and only half a pill at least 1 hour before getting on the boat.

the above has never failed me as long as the angler follows it.
Thanks I let them know next time. I’ve been on boats since I could walk so never been sea sick but have heard it is a terrible experience.

IF there is any realistic shot at nabbing JSmith back from the *s, isn’t it in this guy’s interest to announce already?
I mean I get negotiating and the annoying posturing that comes with it but, ultimately, it’s his performance in this $ year that matters most. No?

Advertisement
Back