Cam Ward to Portal

Advertisement
Apparently a few key boosters are stepping up to give Mario whatever he needs for this portal QB.

There won't be a collective offering a better NIL deal than Miami - preparing to go up to and potentially even beyond $2M for 1 year.

The only chance it doesn't work out for Miami is some kind of deal like Caleb Williams at USC - beyond a private collective funded deal - or hesitation because the HCs perceived identity with QBs.

The feeling is that there is 1% chance it goes beyond Howard or Ward even with those scenarios. The only threat to losing both is USC taking Howard with the pull of Riley's QB resume and Ward being advised to go elsewhere - which they don't think is a problem because his QB coach JP Tillman is Houston based and close with Dawson... and has known Mario dating back to 2020. The first person he sent DJ Lagway's film to in 2020 was Mario Cristobal.
This is really good insight. A couple of thoughts:

1. $2M+ for a QB1 is absurd and kudos to the power brokers that be for stepping up to get that done. With that said, if it's Caleb-type NIL he's looking for (and someone is willing to give it to him) then more power to him. He's a talented, dynamic player but is not at that same level.

2. The Howard-USC dynamic is interesting because Riley initially showed interest but there's been very little buzz since. They have Malachi Nelson on the roster so perhaps they're treading lightly on the type of QB they target in the portal as they could risk losing him?

Advertisement
I have a weird feeling Deion is going to get the last laugh in this one again. This is how he operates. Him and Shadeur are friends.
Shadeur is coming back right
Apparently a few key boosters are stepping up to give Mario whatever he needs for this portal QB.

There won't be a collective offering a better NIL deal than Miami - preparing to go up to and potentially even beyond $2M for 1 year.

The only chance it doesn't work out for Miami is some kind of deal like Caleb Williams at USC - beyond a private collective funded deal - or hesitation because the HCs perceived identity with QBs.

The feeling is that there is 1% chance it goes beyond Howard or Ward even with those scenarios. The only threat to losing both is USC taking Howard with the pull of Riley's QB resume and Ward being advised to go elsewhere - which they don't think is a problem because his QB coach JP Tillman is Houston based and close with Dawson... and has known Mario dating back to 2020. The first person he sent DJ Lagway's film to in 2020 was Mario Cristobal.
Now we’re talkin

My totally uninformed guess is that if he's visiting, it's already wrapped up. It means the NIL is already agreed to, he just has to check things out and see if he likes the campus etc. That's how I would handle it if I were his camp.... don't even visit until the numbers already make sense, and then at that point the visit is a formality. And I think that's probably how it usually goes down, which is why QB's normally don't visit a bunch of places. Because I doubt Ward is negotiating the NIL himself, if he's smart he has a lawyer doing that. The fact that he's visiting means our NIL is stepping up, which is great to hear.
Yeah these guys are only coming in for a few hours to check out the location and staff to make sure they’re comfortable living here the next year. Maybe go over some schemes and film with OC but as you said all the NIL negotiations have taken place before they arrive.

Advertisement

1. $2M+ for a QB1 is absurd and kudos to the power brokers that be for stepping up to get that done. With that said, if it's Caleb-type NIL he's looking for (and someone is willing to give it to him) then more power to him. He's a talented, dynamic player but is not at that same level.

2. The Howard-USC dynamic is interesting because Riley initially showed interest but there's been very little buzz since. They have Malachi Nelson on the roster so perhaps they're treading lightly on the type of QB they target in the portal as they could risk losing him?
there are some rumors with riley and the NFL. apparently there is some internal strife between USC boosters and riley and their visions. well see if any of it is true though

Exactly.

Riley Leonard just committed to Notre Dame.

Anyone know how many schools he visited before doing so?
Joe Biden GIF by ABC News

Even had a “do not contact” tag on his portal entry

Thanks for the info. The last part is an interesting tidbit. Any particular reason JP reached out to Mario regarding lagway? Did he have a prior relationship with Mario to make him do that?
I think Lagway just grew up liking Oregon like a lot of kids in that generation from watching Mariota and those teams.

If it's more than that I'm not sure.

Advertisement

adam devine GIF by Workaholics

Pay Me GIF

Riley has come out publicly saying that their whole focus moving forward is defense. So i'm guessing he's gonna bet on his development of Nelson and use whatever NIL $ to load up on defense.

Advertisement

Thats good news and great to hear from the bank.

Riley has come out publicly saying that their whole focus moving forward is defense. So i'm guessing he's gonna bet on his development of Nelson and use whatever NIL $ to load up on defense.
Yep. The person I talked to said we don't even know who our competition is for Howard but USC is assumed. Even then, he's not Caleb Williams and isn't getting the same NIL treatment in LA that he did. We can beat them out in $ if they need to.

With Ward it's assumed it's FSU and they're not going to let him go there as long as $ can make an impact in his final decision. The plan is to not even let him visit FSU with the $ figure they're gonna put out there. TBD.

They're not even messing around negotiating. The offer is the offer. I think they can even push Ward to commit today because if he waits, Howard can take the spot and the $

Last edited:

The other thing I wanted to say is this is how it should be. Mario absolutely needs three things in order to have a chance at being successful here.

1. Strong recruiting. Check.
2. Absolute, total financial-backing in order to grab the best players and best coordinators
3. Improvement in Game-management and offensive philosophy.

Point #1 we’re chilling. Combine that with point #2, and the floor is already raised tremendously even if point #3 isn’t fulfilled yet (not by a long shot). Additionally, breaking the bank for a Cam Ward…you’re not going to go bro style with Cam Ward. He’s a gun slinger and a weapon with his legs as well, we can get so creative on offense…

Close the deal with Ward Mario, and Miami will be the dark horse media darling all off-season imo. He can be that special of a player.

Advertisement
Back