Calm down

I've been a huge Golden supporter from day one. I'm still thrilled to have him captaining this ship.

But there are some systemic problems that have to be fixed.

We still suck at running the ball, constantly requiring our backs to make people miss before they reach the line of scrimmage. I have never been a Kehoe fan, and nothing this year has changed that.

And I can no longer deny that there is a schematic problem on defense. The explanation that we are essentially running two defenses w/ the hybrid 3-4, 4-3, and therefore, not running either effectively appears to be the best explanation. I can't imagine any other team in the top 40 is less effective in stopping 3d and longs. It's demoralizing to watch us get killed on simple crossing routes repeatedly.
My sentiments exactly. I gave coach D the benefit of the doubt up until last night but as you said, I can no longer deny their is a fundamental problem with our scheme. And our o-line is too big and too experienced to not be more dominant. I think we had negative rushing yards going into the 4th quarter last night. And when was the last time our offense actually picked up a blitz like VA Tech did against us all night long?

Advertisement
I would agree with OP. Golden has held it together through tough times, masterful recruiting vs long odds, the UF win was described as a "program changer" (at the time and context matters) and we held our own vs long odds at FSU for the first half. It is still a young team and we have a ways to go.

This fan base does seem irrational given a 7-2 record albeit yesterday was UGLY. In time what matters is a pattern of improvement: one ugly loss doesn't define the coach.

All that being said, watching the post game presser with Golden wasn't very inspiring. I don't know what he could say and he was clearly frustrated but blaming the fumbles and the low snap for 21 points seems to miss the point that the D got shredded. Also, don't like it when a coach says "they" , meaning his players, need to decide who they want to be. It's a cliche but it comes across as blaming players.

Coach and team got to stick together. Hope that's the case going forward.

Fans can follow if they want.

The fumbles and O'Donnell's turnover suck, but he acts like they automatically had to result in 3 touchdowns against a team with a garbage offense. That's a loser approach.
Yep. How about we sack up and actually force a 3 and out for once?

For me its got to be the way the defense has played that I would like to see coach D go. If its Golden telling D that he has to run our D this way then he needs to look at it and change it. We don't cover the screens or guys cutting across the middle 5-8 yards down the field. Giving up 500 yards to an offense run by Logan Thomas isn't good. The turnovers hurt us, but we shouldn't have given up 500 yards.

Nothing to do with record IMO. Has to do with the fact that a lot of us feel we are behind the 8 ball with our schemes, especially defensively. And this is Golden's defense we are running. Also a defense that has a lot of starts under its belt. It might not be super talented but you shouldn't need it to field a decent defense.

There is a lot to be worried about at the moment.

It's not the record, it's the way we've looked, and it's the stubbornness with Coach D. That said, I'm not as down on Golden as a lot on here, but I'm not also not a blind supporter either. He's going to have to do a lot more than just say the right things.

I understand a bad nite that's what one would have thought of the wf and unc games last nights was ridiculous...we made them look like fsu...I don't see how anyone can justify what we saw last nite...al needs to make a change...I like al but that dc is a head scratcher.

Advertisement
I think a lot of us WANT to believe. But... keep seeing the same thing over and over, and it seems like suspect coaching. Look at what V.T. has overcome this year and how they have progressed. Was Concerned @ GT, UNC, wake just continuing downhill. Hope I am wrong.

Fans of other teams (namely FSU) think Golden is a great coach and we are lucky to have him.

The 2014 and 2015 classes are VITAL for Golden's future here.

If we can hold on to the class we have for 2014 and add some more keys pieces to it, it will be top 5 class in the country. We need to do the same for 2015.

WE NEED TALENT.

its not a coincidence that Bama and FSU are the top teams in the country right now. It directly correlates to recruiting elite talent.

As far as the "regression" goes, JEEBUS gents, our schedule was BACK loaded with tougher games. The REAL problem here, is that everyone bought into a fantasy at the beginning of the year starting 7-0. We had a VERY easy early schedule. But all the signs were there for trouble. Morris' play has been horrendous all year. The defense, HAS regressed IMO, and that is a huge sign that our DC is not cutting it.

But people are OVER reacting now and going over the top trashing Golden when 3 weeks ago they were crowning him as a God. Honestly it makes you look like a **** FOOL for the cats that are always going to extremes.

I had a wait and see approach on COach D, and Ive seen enough. This defense is terrible. I DONT blame it all on the scheme as some do, because its MORE than just the scheme. The bigger problem is our personnel just DONT fit the scheme, and our LB play is attrocious, and our DC is also the LB coach. I actually made a point out of watching the D closely last night and I lost count of how many plays we had a player blow his assignment. IT was almost comical at times, like when Gilbert blew his assignment and rushed Thomas right next to another one of our guys who was also rushing him. They looked RIGHT at the back going into the flat for the screen, and both ran into eachother, ignored the back, and rushed the QB, leaving the back WIDE OPEN. The game was full of that. Gaines is always in the wrong place. Cornelius does nothing but stare into the backfield while people run right by him and end up wide open in the flat. We are NOT well coached on Defense, and that is deeper than the scheme, and WHY I feel Coach D needs to go, and now.

But trashing Golden right now is idiotic. This team is still no where near where it needs to be. Its still very young and missing any real Senior leadership. That game last night was very winnable but for a total special teams collapse for about 18 minutes of the game. Three crucial mistakes crushed the momentum of the game, and led to our loss. That is NO excuse for the Defense, but we would not be seeing this EPIC meltdown and hysteria trashing Golden if we would have pulled it out.

You logical, well thought out ************.....:crownpour:

don't get me wrong. Golden needs to do MUCH better getting the team motivated for these games as well as a scheme change ASAP on defense. This thread was just pointed towards those people on the board saying Golden needed to be let go which is just ridiculous in my opinion. I think we have all been talking about how much negative recruiting hurt us the last three years but all of a sudden we lose some tough games and nobody wants to talk about it anymore. The 2014 class we are bringing in is stellar and if we can get solid qb play next year, then we will be better next year than we are this year (expecting 10-2 this year) which is promising.

Advertisement
If you can't handle. What other fans say after taking a beating. You should not log on until after the next win.

People are venting, and until they are done doing so, calm yourself down, and let em be. No need to try and play super fan.

Didnt read every post but I have to agree that I am still a Golden supporter..He has stood by us during the most challenging time this university has endured. With that said, his staff does not get the same kind of credit,,,Dorito has been suspect since day 1, in three years we have given up 500+ yd games 8 times; , 400+ yds 12 times, 300+ yds 5 times. We have only held teams under 300 yds only 5 times, included in these five games are these juggernauts: Savannah State, Florida Atlantic, and south forida. In fact the Florida Atlantic game this year was the first time we held an opponent under 300 yds since 11/19/2011 when we beat USF 6-3.

I count 20 games out of 33 games where we have given up 400 yds or more. That is 60 percent of the games he has been coordinator that we get curb stomped defensively. Cannot argue with the numbers..dorito must GO!!!

http://www.cfbstats.com/2011/team/415/total/defense/gamelog.html

Fans of other teams (namely FSU) think Golden is a great coach and we are lucky to have him...
I bet they do...

I have lived in Tallahassee for 4 years, and I hear it all the time that Golden is the right guy to turn our program around. Give Golden another 2 classes and we will be elite. 2011 class that Golden had to throw together in 2 months is killing us.

2014 class is elite. If he can match it in 2015. We will have tons of talent on the roster, enough to overcome bad coaching and bad schemes. We dont have enough talent right now to overcome anything.

Although I do hope Golden can find a way to part ways with Coach D before next season. Or at least force him to change his schemes and adjust.

Advertisement
We're thrid in the Coastal!

That was why we wanted ridf of Radio. How does Golden get a Mulligan for being as bad after three seasons?

Advertisement
what does coach d have to work with? aqm is the only superstar talent on dl and he is a skinny legged fresh. chick is overrated because of his last name. not a stud. dl has nothing. lbs are young. gaines doesnt see the field at fsu. green, rodgers, aj, ty, probably dont even get a an offer from fsu. figs, grace, aqm and other would be redshirting right now at fsu. everyone talks scheme, if scheme was all that matter you would have wake contending for an acc title every year.
Oh look it's nycane with the same excuses. Three years later and he's posting the same exact thing.

Good job good effort

what does coach d have to work with? aqm is the only superstar talent on dl and he is a skinny legged fresh. chick is overrated because of his last name. not a stud. dl has nothing. lbs are young. gaines doesnt see the field at fsu. green, rodgers, aj, ty, probably dont even get a an offer from fsu. figs, grace, aqm and other would be redshirting right now at fsu. everyone talks scheme, if scheme was all that matter you would have wake contending for an acc title every year.
Oh look it's nycane with the same excuses. Three years later and he's posting the same exact thing.

Good job good effort

Great catch. Some folks are unable to think big picture and only see things from a very superficial level. The "not enough talent" excuse makers can use that excuse any year they want, in reality. It's a very small minded approach to evaluating a football team. New year, same type of excuses. Guess what, you can make the same kind of excuses next year with virtually our entire back 4 graduating, and maybe even a DL or 2 - then it will be "we need more depth at those positions" excuse. Then in 2018 it will be the "we have a young QB, guysm" excuse.

Advertisement
Back