Callin out names (Long but needs to be said)

Advertisement
Some people just get IT!!! and OP GETS IT....Well said way to hit a walk off home run in the 10th inning...Lets keep grinding...

Bottomline is, we need to do a better job getting the big fish. Do this, and we drastically decrease the time it takes for us to get 'back'. This class is close, and the getting the few elite guys left would push it over the top.

Last edited:
Advertisement
TP801, do you really want to go shot for shot with me when it comes to recruiting or are you just trying to increase your post count?

Bam.

2548180-drop_the_mic_17cherrylane.gif

Much respect Jassid. Honestly, if on signing day we have the class as it stands, I'd be happy as ****. We got a top notch class regardless of Cook and Dixon.

Common sense and prospective are generally unacceptable on a recruiting board, OP needed to be said and directed at certain posters, appreciate your articulation.

Advertisement
My thing with the staff is not recruiting. I agree with a lot of the points of the OP. This is how we recruit. This is who we are regardless of what some fans think we are. My biggest issue and what makes me nervous is the part about development. If we recruit like Dennis and Butch, we better develop like Dennis and Butch.
The question is would those guys you mention have turned into the players they became under this staff? Would Ed Reed be Ed Reed in our program today? If the answer is no, then that's what is concerning.

We have some talented players on this team on defense regardless of what people think. Enough to win the ACC Coastal and more than enough to stomp teams like Wake, Duke, etc. and compete with top tier teams. My biggest problem is not who we bring in but what they become. Anthony Chickillo was a high end recruit; has he gotten better or worse? What about Porter and Luther Robinson? Jelani Hamilton? Better or worse? If Al and staff can't turn these kids that they are recruiting into animals, then clearly that is the huge problem here. This isn't so black and white. "Oh recruit top 50 kids and we win"...not necessarily. How did that work out for UF, Michigan, USC this year? It's about development. Just my opinion.

Recruiting is big business now....top ranked recruiting classes (for the most part) do pay off.

I don't recall where all the recruiting services have our class ranked. Can you refresh my memory?

Do you want the top 5 class or the #1 class? Because that's what we would have if we got the big fish in our backyard.

Problem is we are nowhere near a Top-5 team. Baby steps are needed. FSU went from always losing the ACC to then winning their division, to winning the ACC, to playing a BCS game, to playing in the NC this year. It didn't happen overnight. They were steadily recruiting top-10 classes, and now they are consistently top-5. We are following a similar arc. ****, it even took Saban 3 years to get Bama back. We need to win the ACC and keep moving forward. The big guys will come with results.

Advertisement
I really don't think recruiting has changed that much. Only the tools available. I don't think Bama and LSU needed Rivals or YouTube to know to recruit South Florida.

My problem with the recruiting has changed arguments based on technology and information available, is the same as you find in all big data environments. Namely, data or information isn't the problem, it's insights. What I'm getting at is with the exponential growth in recruiting services also comes a concomitant growth in white noise or non-valuable information. You could watch 200 videos and still not find a Div. I worthy athlete.

The key is being able to identify talent for your system despite the increase in the amount of recruiting videos, services, etc.

My thing with the staff is not recruiting. I agree with a lot of the points of the OP. This is how we recruit. This is who we are regardless of what some fans think we are. My biggest issue and what makes me nervous is the part about development. If we recruit like Dennis and Butch, we better develop like Dennis and Butch.
The question is would those guys you mention have turned into the players they became under this staff? Would Ed Reed be Ed Reed in our program today? If the answer is no, then that's what is concerning.

We have some talented players on this team on defense regardless of what people think. Enough to win the ACC Coastal and more than enough to stomp teams like Wake, Duke, etc. and compete with top tier teams. My biggest problem is not who we bring in but what they become. Anthony Chickillo was a high end recruit; has he gotten better or worse? What about Porter and Luther Robinson? Jelani Hamilton? Better or worse? If Al and staff can't turn these kids that they are recruiting into animals, then clearly that is the huge problem here. This isn't so black and white. "Oh recruit top 50 kids and we win"...not necessarily. How did that work out for UF, Michigan, USC this year? It's about development. Just my opinion.

Most significant post in this thread. Very concerning and that's real. +rep

In 2010 people were disappointed when we missed on Greg Dent who was a 4* guy and a cant miss prospect. Look where he is now and how his career went. Then look at who we took in that class... 3* Allen Hurns. How about we start focusing on the guys we got instead of the guys who decide they do not want to be part of the U. I'm not saying that recruiting is not important but its not as a big deal as the media and boards make it out to be. Lets develop our 3* guys and let the kids who want to leave go it about character and attitude... end of my rant.

Advertisement
TP801, do you really want to go shot for shot with me when it comes to recruiting or are you just trying to increase your post count?

Look at the BEST players on UMs squad now recruited by Golden and you will see MOST where highly ranked.

Duke Johnson-5 Star future NfL pick
Tracy Howard-Best corner on Team 5 star future NFL pick
Stacy Coley-High 4 star/5 star at one time best receiver on team future NFL pick
Deon Bush-Best safety on team before injury. High 4 Star future NFL pick as long as he continues to recover
Herb Waters-4 star on 247 sports/High 3 star on rivals will play in the league
Tyriq McCord-HIGH 4 star best pass rusher on team. Will play in the league
Artie Burns-HIGH 4 star on 247/4 star on rivals. Future NFL pick. Most explosive/athletic player in the secondary
Dallas Crawford-HIGH 4 star on 247/HIGH 3 star on rivals.
Rayshwan Jenkins-HIGH 3 star on rivals/low 3 on 247. Will play in the league.
Ladarius Gunter-HIGH 3 star on on 247/low 3 on rivals. Will play in the league.
Ereck Flowers-HIGH 4 star on 247/4 star on rivals. Future NFL pick

Guys fat Boy AL has missed on since the 2012 class

Amari Cooper(WEST)-HIGH 4 star/might've been a 5 star on a site-Best receiver at Bama. Future NFL pick
Rashard Robinson(ELY)-HIGH 4 star. One of the best freshman corners in the nation/shut mike Evans down. Future NFL pick
Eddie Jackson(Boyd Anderson)-HIGH 4 star on 247/HIGH 3 on rivals-started at Bama a few games as a FRESHMAN. Future NFL pick
Avery Young(palm Beach)-HIGH 4 star on most sites-Auburn. Future NFL PICK
Pj. Williams(Ocala Vanguard)-HIGH 4 star. Prototype size, true sophomore, starter. Future NFL pick
Alex Collins( south plantation)s-5 star on 247/HIGH 4 star on rivals. SEC FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR. Numerous college coaches rave about him. Was called "soft" by dumbasses on here. FUTURE NFL PICK
Leanord Williams(Daytona Mainland)-HIGH 4 star everywhere. BEAST AT USC. Future NFL pick
Jayron Kearse(South Ft. Meyers)-Played as a freshman. Did VERY WELL for a freshman. FUTURE NFL PICK
Matt Thomas( Booker T)-5 star everywhere.
Denver Kirkland(Booker T)-HIGH 4 star. Not sure but might be on sec freshman. Freshman all American. Will play in the league
Tartan Folston(Cocoa)-HIGH 4 star-best freshman running back at ND. Might be best rb prospect up there right now. Dud good for a freshman. Will play in the league.
Keith Bryant-4 star. Who knows. Redshirted at fsu.
Jaynard Bostwick-4 star. Redshrted. Probably be a beast.

Will add more later. But what where you saying again.

If recruiting has changed so much Johnny Manziel would not have been a 3 star recruit

Last edited:
In 2010 people were disappointed when we missed on Greg Dent who was a 4* guy and a cant miss prospect. Look where he is now and how his career went. Then look at who we took in that class... 3* Allen Hurns. How about we start focusing on the guys we got instead of the guys who decide they do not want to be part of the U. I'm not saying that recruiting is not important but its not as a big deal as the media and boards make it out to be. Lets develop our 3* guys and let the kids who want to leave go it about character and attitude... end of my rant.

Ummmmm, the OP was great, and then you go ahead and try to **** all over it........
Are you really gonna use an example of the 2010 class, which outside of Hurns and our OL was an utter disaster. Also No way no how was Greg Dent a cant miss prospect whatsoever. In fact the reason we were ****ed because we uncovered a diamond in the rough so to speak, then he blew up and FSU just strolled right in and took him from us. Also Hurns was one of the most sought after guys at WR in the state. Urban wanted the kid bad after he blew up at FNL....

Advertisement
Back