Callin out names (Long but needs to be said)

No one is saying EVERY TIME. Exaggeration does not lend itself to good discussion. To my knowledge, the kids in this discussion who have been mentioned as taking benefits were Cook, Sony and Sammy Watkins. Interestingly, each kid claims to have been a Canes fan. Each of those kids committed very early in the process and didnt take any other visits. (save for Cook's visit to UM). Interestingly, Cook looks to be headed to FSU and he hasnt even visited them. That's the kind of stuff that leads people who know what's up to suspect illegal benefits.

I think we all know players get paid. But to use that hackneyed excuse for the high ranking recruits every time is annoying. Honestly, some of the people know better to say a kid is getting paid every time. But others dont. You always see $EC pop up. Unless it's blatant, I can never just assume that a kid is getting paid of assumptions.

Cook took an OV to FSU. He also took one to Texas. And Arkansas as well. Everyone knew Sony was going to commit early in the process. He visited UGA multiple times sophomore-junior year and he just fell in love with it.

There was talk with Burns that he was getting paid before he flipped to us.

Correct. Look at James Coley. When he was at FSU and was making a killing in South Florida a bunch of 'insiders' claimed they had first hand knowledge of FSU paying players. But now Coley is at Miami and what...he suddenly just stopped paying players? Maybe he wasn't paying them all along and is just a **** good recruiter? At FSU Coley is dirty, at Miami he's clean. Always the typical accusations.

Do kids get paid? Absolutely, that's without question. But it isn't nearly as common as a lot of people on this board would have you believe. **** Reggie Bush was thought to be the best runningback prospect in almost a decade and commanded only like 10k coming out, yet you guys think every 4-star player in south florida is being paid ridiculous amounts of money LOL. According to insiders Cook has taken money upfront from 3 different schools now LOL. When does the bull**** end? People were saying the same about Burns when he was committed to Bama, said the same about Carter when people thought he was going to LSU, said the same about Howard when people thought he was going to UF, and on and on. Funny how those claims when away when they signed with Miami. It's the defacto reason for any recruit that chooses not to come to Miami. It's similar to the 'he didn't have the grades' or 'we didn't want him' you see on every teams board. 95% of it is bull****.

Good points.

I would add that people need to stop thinking about direct cash payments to athletes. That is so 1980's SMU. Amateur hour if you're caught doing that. Sure there is often some walking around money but there are so many more creative ways to put the hooks in that are totally legitimate on the surface. Look at the people around the athlete.

I hear you dude, it's ALL boards. Now some ******* idiots on the UF board are claiming Cook is being paid, when just a few weeks ago he was a savior and rock solid, now all of a sudden he's being paid? ***** ridiculous. Some of these grown men have to find any reason why a kid doesn't want to go to their favorite school and have no issues making up rumors like teenage girls to explain away a recruits choice.

It absolutely does happen. But if a guy like Bush can only command 10k coming out, I highly doubt some of these players are gettting straight paid like some have accused. **** even Pat Peterson only got like 20k 'supposedly' and he was a once in a generation type prospect. Every 4-star running around south florida ain't getting paid, that's just not how it works.

It's very simple. Most fans do not want to believe or accept that another program is better in any way than their program. Does shady **** happen? Sure. Most of the time these kids just don't want to go to the school, have a better relationship with another coach, better chance at playing time. Whatever it is, it makes fans feel weird if they think that a player wouldn't want to go to their school. It HAS to be something else because as a fan there is only one school you would go to.

That being said...I have to admit that the Sony Michel recruitment is weird as ****. I really think that something is going on. I'm not sure if it's money or what but that one is one of my all time "what the **** is going on" commitments. He was pretty much branded the Miami savior since he was 13 and all of a sudden after 4 years and ONE visit to Georgia he's a dawg? GTFOH.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think we all know players get paid. But to use that hackneyed excuse for the high ranking recruits every time is annoying. Honestly, some of the people know better to say a kid is getting paid every time. But others dont. You always see $EC pop up. Unless it's blatant, I can never just assume that a kid is getting paid of assumptions.

Cook took an OV to FSU. He also took one to Texas. And Arkansas as well. Everyone knew Sony was going to commit early in the process. He visited UGA multiple times sophomore-junior year and he just fell in love with it.

There was talk with Burns that he was getting paid before he flipped to us.

Correct. Look at James Coley. When he was at FSU and was making a killing in South Florida a bunch of 'insiders' claimed they had first hand knowledge of FSU paying players. But now Coley is at Miami and what...he suddenly just stopped paying players? Maybe he wasn't paying them all along and is just a **** good recruiter? At FSU Coley is dirty, at Miami he's clean. Always the typical accusations.

Do kids get paid? Absolutely, that's without question. But it isn't nearly as common as a lot of people on this board would have you believe. **** Reggie Bush was thought to be the best runningback prospect in almost a decade and commanded only like 10k coming out, yet you guys think every 4-star player in south florida is being paid ridiculous amounts of money LOL. According to insiders Cook has taken money upfront from 3 different schools now LOL. When does the bull**** end? People were saying the same about Burns when he was committed to Bama, said the same about Carter when people thought he was going to LSU, said the same about Howard when people thought he was going to UF, and on and on. Funny how those claims when away when they signed with Miami. It's the defacto reason for any recruit that chooses not to come to Miami. It's similar to the 'he didn't have the grades' or 'we didn't want him' you see on every teams board. 95% of it is bull****.

Good points.

I would add that people need to stop thinking about direct cash payments to athletes. That is so 1980's SMU. Amateur hour if you're caught doing that. Sure there is often some walking around money but there are so many more creative ways to put the hooks in that are totally legitimate on the surface. Look at the people around the athlete.

I hear you dude, it's ALL boards. Now some ******* idiots on the UF board are claiming Cook is being paid, when just a few weeks ago he was a savior and rock solid, now all of a sudden he's being paid? ***** ridiculous. Some of these grown men have to find any reason why a kid doesn't want to go to their favorite school and have no issues making up rumors like teenage girls to explain away a recruits choice.

It absolutely does happen. But if a guy like Bush can only command 10k coming out, I highly doubt some of these players are gettting straight paid like some have accused. **** even Pat Peterson only got like 20k 'supposedly' and he was a once in a generation type prospect. Every 4-star running around south florida ain't getting paid, that's just not how it works.

It's very simple. Most fans do not want to believe or accept that another program is better in any way than their program. Does shady **** happen? Sure. Most of the time these kids just don't want to go to the school, have a better relationship with another coach, better chance at playing time. Whatever it is, it makes fans feel weird if they think that a player wouldn't want to go to their school. It HAS to be something else because as a fan, there is only one school you would go to.

That being said...I have to admit that the Sony Michel recruitment is weird as ****. I really think that something is going on. I'm not sure if it's money or what but that one is one of my all time "what the **** is going on" commitments. He was pretty much branded the Miami savior since he was 13 and all of a sudden after 4 years and ONE visit to Georgia he's a dawg? GTFOH.

Well said. They only see those kids' recruitment through their fan lense. So if a guy doesn't want to go to their favorite school it has to be because they are getting paid, they're too dumb to get in, or my favorite...we didn't want him we had someone higher on the board.

This **** is all over the UF boards now that some of the recruits are looking elsewhere. From Cook to JC Jackson to Lane. The **** is pathetic. They were blowing these kids a few weeks ago and now when it looks like they're leaving UF they're getting paid or there are recruits higher on the board, etc. ******* ridiculous.

And Sony's **** is definitely weird, I don't think anyone saw that coming. There could be something shady going on there IDK. I do know though that Athens is one of the best college towns in the country and the hot *** running around there willing to do anything with those players is almost unmatched. I hate UGA more than any other school out there but I'll give them that. Apparently he visited there a few times during his Jr. year and fell in love. That's the official story anyway. Who knows.

After reading all 12-13 pages of "the Work" thread I really felt compelled to say something to some of yall. Especially to certain cats in particular. First off, I would say about 95% of you actually know nothing about how much we FAILED FAILED FAILED FAILED FAILED miserably in regards to South Florida recruiting in the Dennis and Butch eras. You want to talk to me about losing top talent in So Fla YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT??..Go ask Dennis and Butch about that. You think Al is bad?..Let me take you on a little walk down memory lane..

Go ask Butch about Rickey Sealey (LB out of Miami High) and how he played us in 95' cuz his mama wanted his sorry a$$ brother Norris to play with him so they went to Aub. Go ask about Marquand Manual (UF) and Clevan Thomas (FSU). Go ask about Martavious Houston (AUB). Go ask about Derrick Gibson (FSU), James Colzie (FSU), Sean Key (FSU), Rock Preston (FSU), Lawrence Wright (UF), Corey Simon (FSU), Zack and Henri Crockett (FSU), Samari Rolle (FSU), Troy Saunders (FSU) , Khalid Abdullah (FSU), Snoop Minnis (FSU), Bradley Jennings (FSU) AND ON AND ON AND ON..Remember losing WR Billy Brown out of St Thomas back in 1995 to FSU?! I could literally write an entire thread about the top talent that we lost IN SOUTH FLORIDA ALONE to FSU/UF/AUB year in and out back in the mid 90s and early 00s. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

And if you know anything about recruiting you would know that everyone I just named were NATIONALLY recruited guys. Everyone wanted them. No diamond in the roughs here. And rival schools walked right in Dade and Broward County and TOOK... THEM.... ALL.

And what did Butch do? Did he cry and whine about the **** after COUNTLESS FAILURES that at the time seemed like it would ruin our program and we would NEVER get back to prominence? NO. He used his knowledge, and everything that Jimmy taught him about eyeing talent and went out there and formed the greatest collection of talent in NCAA history. ONE THING we all can agree on is that AL is in the top 5 as far as best recruiters in the country and has an eye for talent. (It remains to be seen if he can develop that talent like Jimmy and Butch could)

I dont understand some of you guys..FRANCHISE, I thought you was an OG. I know this aint your first time at the rodeo. What are you doing? We been thru HELLA battles like this. This aint new stuff. Back in 95', when Sedrick Irvin straight PLAYED us and went to MSU..Did Butch fold? Naw playa..He just went out and got Dyral McMillan and supplemented him with some little known kid named Edgerrin James. KEPT IT MOVING..

ERNIE MCCRACKEN, you named ONE YEAR that we pulled that off. (getting most of the talent in Dade) Here I will help you..we did it only THREE MORE TIMES in the last 20 years! (05, 08, 98-99) Its like you forgot back in 98' when Bryce Bishop and Anquan Boldin straight left us at the alter..What did Butch do? Oh he just replaced them with two kids named Vernon Carey and Andre Johnson AND KEPT IT MOVING.

TP801, come on dude. How you gonna sit back and totally trash the class AND the work that Al has put in KNOWING that this class could be the one to bring our defense back to prominence. You really want me to bring my point home? Go look at FSUs 1998 recruiting class! (dont get me started on their class in 1993) You talk about coming into SoFla and turning **** upside down?! But guess what? The next two UM classes (Jerome McDougle, Andrew Williams, DJ Williams, Jon Vilma, etc) built the foundation for a great DEFENSE that FSU couldnt do nothing with EVEN WITH all those 4 and 5 stars from Dade.

Whats my point? If Dalvin Cook doesnt want to join us..Fine, PETE, you let him know I got two lil' homeboys named Juwon Young and Darrion Owens who are gonna come see him for the next 3 years and wont be backing down either! Johnnie Dixon and Ermon Lane think they would be better served elsewhere? PETE, you tell them I said that Artie Burns, Corn Elder, and Jamal Carter are gonna be diggin in that a$$ EVERY TIME they come across that middle!

Stop all the whining. I get it..We want EVERYONE! (que GIF) But we got what the F we came here for. Great pass rushers, a great QB, a great RB and a cornerstone at DT.

And thats that!

(Drop mic)
Post needs a bump as NSD gets closer. The best post I have ever seen on this site :stormwarning:
522.gif

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Except now the OP is not sure whether this is the staff that can lead us to the promised land.

Concern over the coaching staff should make us all ******** on the recruiting board a week before signing day when it has been noted that coaches, players and families read the boards?

Makes sense.

Except now the OP is not sure whether this is the staff that can lead us to the promised land.

Concern over the coaching staff should make us all ******** on the recruiting board a week before signing day when it has been noted that coaches, players and families read the boards?

Makes sense.

Not quite sure how you got that from my post but whatever.

Lol! Thanks for twisting my words. I, LIKE EVERYONE ELSE ON HERE, was (and kinda still am) ****ED at Al for putting us through that "week from ****" in regards to that PSU situation. Ultimate betrayal and made us look stupid. BUT, all can be forgiven if he can close this class out with a BOOM! Which I think he can.

Thanks for the bump.

Lol! Thanks for twisting my words. I, LIKE EVERYONE ELSE ON HERE, was (and kinda still am) ****ED at Al for putting us through that "week from ****" in regards to that PSU situation. Ultimate betrayal and made us look stupid. BUT, all can be forgiven if he can close this class out with a BOOM! Which I think he can.

Thanks for the bump.

I didn't twist your words.

Advertisement
Fair enough. Dont confuse "staff" with "Al". I think Al can do it. But just not with Dnofrio as his DCoordinator. Ray Charles can see that. No secret there. Doesnt take away from the fact that I still think he is a top 5 recruiter IMO and he has an eye for talent. Whether he can develop it is another story. What I did say was that if he didnt fire Dno after the way this defense has looked he has 2 years to get us to the BCS or I am offically off his bandwagon.

Maybe you were just ****ed, but there was a point where you said that you were off the bandwagon and that he had to win this year. You even mentioned wondering about Dnofrio AND Golden ******** up the talent coming in on defense. Also, after previously defending the class you said you'd give it a thumbs down if we don't sign Valentine. Again, you may have just been ****ed, but you said what you said.

Funny thing is though, I agree with part of your post (guys have always left), I'm just not sure if Golden can overcome that like Butch did. What Butch did was really amazing.

Edit: And with that said, I've pretty much always said that I didn't expect AL to turn UM around faster than Butch (which would mean 2016). My concern now is I'm not even sure if he'll get us there by 2016.

Lol! Man are you spying on me? Jk.

Anyway, YES I did say I am VERY afraid of handing over this kind of talent to Al and Dno. VERY! VERY! We have some potential STUDS on defense in this class. (But that goes into the development part which I have said numerous times that Al hasnt convinced me he is a good devoloper of talent yet. He can get them in here..But what can he do with them once they hit greentree?)

As far as the "off the bandwagon" part. That depends on when this was said. If this was 5min after the UL game. Then **** YEAH i said it. But mind you im also the same guy that said I wouldnt be going to another home game nor would I be renewing my season tickets after we lost to Duke. One week later? My a$$ is right at Sun Life supporting the team. ALSO, you god **** right I was temporarily off the bandwagon after that PSU mess he put us through. EVERYBODY was. **** I was the leader of the "Hire Butch" clan. He played us. Big No No.

As far as Valentine. I NEVER said this class was a "thumbs down" without TV. I would need to actually see that post. I might have said it lost its luster. But thumbs down is a BIG word. That totally $hits on the guys we still have and Im not a believer in that. And if there is a post of me saying that, I take it back and I must have been drunk or something. lol.

And sorry bro, I gotta stick to my deadline. In 2016, it would have been 15 years since we won a MNC and 13 years since we have been relevant. If we are still playing around in the sandbox that is the ACC Coastal and havent graduated to the big boy table, he needs to go. Mind you. I am speaking more of us being in a BCS game by the time Dukes class are seniors. That is the core of our talent. If we havent even sniffed a BCS game by then with that core talent..he failed as a developer of talent somewhere along the line and needs to be shown the door. (Mind you, this is only if he has kept his boy Dno around. Which we all knw he will)

Advertisement
TP801, I use to think you were misunderstood but now I just think you are not even a Cane fan. So im not even going to waste my time arguing with you.

Franchise, I got mad respect for you as a poster because you been in the game for a minute. But come back to the good side, brotha. I was ****ed off too at the season. (Note me ALMOST boycotting the UVA game. But I went anyway and was glad I did). Al can turn this thing around. And even I have admitted on many occasions that he has a 2 year window with me to turn this thing around. But how does $hitting on our class help that? YOU KNOW there are some SUPER STUDS in this class that will help us get back to the top.

These kids want to bring the U back SO BAD. You can tell in the way they do interviews. Tell me Braxton Berrios doesnt want to bring it back...Or CThomas. Or Darrian Owens. Or Juwon Young. But we are sitting here crying over a bunch of clowns who potentially dont? LOL. Then you got "wanna-be" fans like Ernie and TP801 who sit here and cry about the kids we DIDNT GET AND WONT GET instead of talking about the STUDS we DID GET. If yall two amigos spent less time bringing down the potential greatness of the class we DO have instead of bringing up all the reasons why this class will be a FAIL....Smh. (Im out of energy. Got nothing left to give those two.)

Because can't dispute anything I said. Don't make excuses. Or start with that "you're not a cane fan" lame ****. Look at what you ****ing wrote. You want to talk about butch Davis. Ok let's look at where The guys he helped to get drafted from UNC where ranked and what their offer lists where like. Don't make excuses.

Butch at UNC

Marvin Austin-5 STAR/#1 or 2 dtackle in the nation in 07. Offers from pretty much everywhere-2nd round pick in 2011 draft. Even after having to sit out a few games/might've been the season

Quinton Couples-HIGH 4 star out of hargrave academy. Offers from pretty much everywhere. 1st ROUND PICK. 2012 draft.

Robert Quinn-High 4 star. Offers from everywhere. 1st ROUND PICK

Zach Brown-4 star out of hargrave academy. 4.4 runner as a linebacker. 2nd round pick

Hakeem Nicks-4 star. Was drafted in top 3 rounds.

Sylvester Williams-High 3 star Juco on rivals. Offers from everywhere. Picked UNC over USC, sec, etc..... 1st round pick

Greg Little-High 4 star. 2nd round pick

Gio Bernard-4 star. Offers from everyone. 1st running back drafted in 2013. Without him UNC doesn't beat UM last year.

Eric Ebron-High 3 star on rivals/4 star on 247-offers from everywhere. Top 3 TE going into this years draft. top 4 round NFL pick

Kareem Martin-high 3 star on rivals/4 star on 247. UNC beat out Stanford, Georgina tech, and Vanderbilt. Top 3 round NFL pick this year or next.

Tj Yates-2 star QB. Only high level d1 offer was UNC. 5th round pick

Jonathan Cooper-High 3 star on rivals. 1st round pick.

James Hurst-high 4 star Otackle. Offers from everywhere. Top 3 round pick this year.

Um, ok, so now you're going out of your way to show that Butch has an exceptional eye for talent...in other news, Genghis Khan invades China!

Butches top/most talented players where highly rated guys.These guys are pointing out Santana moss, and Ed reed like it's the 90s still and shut doesn't change. Why don't you ****ing read, instead of buying into the "rah rah" bull****. Like I said Look at UM now and the best guys on the team are pretty much 4-5 star guys. It really isn't hard to comprehend. The highest rated "south Florida" guy in 08 was Patrick Johnson/petersoon and he wound up bring the guy drafted the highest from the area as well. And of course could be considered one of the best defensive backs in lsu history.

The OP pointed out guys from 10+ years ago who didn't come to UM who where high rated/nationally recruited guys. Look at RECENT history and alot of the high rated guys from south Florida have/are balling out. Once again

Duke Johnson-Best running back on Team-5 star

Tracy Howard-Best corner on team-5 star

Deon Bush-Best/most talented safety on team-HIGH 4 star offers from all the top schools

Tyriq McCord-Best pass rusher/jack on team. True sophomore-HIGH 4 star. Tampa.

Stacy Coley-Most talented receiver on team. High 4 star/5 star

Teddy Bridgewater-4 star. South Florida kid. Dumbass people called "jacory 2.0, future receiver". Future 1st round pick

Amari Cooper-High 4 star. Best receiver at Bama right now. Future top NFL pick.

Alex Colins-5 star. SEC freshman of the year.

I mean what else needs to be said.

And? We are getting a lot of the highly ranked players. That would be why we have one of the top recruiting classes in the nation right now. The issue is with people being idiotically unreasonable and thinking that we should be getting 80% of the best players in the area...something we didn't do even in our best years when we were winning championships.

After reading all of this IMO DK72 nailed it.
That the point I think the OP was making and it's 100% correct.
History supports it.

Recruiting = No Limit Holdem

You always remember the bad beat you take on the river.

You forget the three times you gave a bad beat to somebody else.

Advertisement
Back