CFB Cale Gundy resigns at Oklahoma after using the N word in a team meeting

A lot of this is optics too. You can’t have a coach on your team, especially when the majority of the team is black and the majority of kids you are recruiting are black, running around saying the N word all willy-nilly. Venables is the new guy in town. He has to set the tone. It was the right move.

Advertisement
I don’t buy that it was a one time use of that word that has him resign at 10Pm on a Sunday as camp opens.

in before we find out something else is also involved
Gundy was reading what someone else wrote on their ipad. Is it wrong? Maybe. To me he was a proving a point to pay attention in a meeting. Not trying to degrade anybody. His job is to teach and coach. Paying attention in class might help. Pointing that out is his job. Maybe more will come out. This would be a good time for the players to come to his defense if that is all he did.

Advertisement
So let me get this right he read what the kid had on his screen. So he didn't use the word the player did. He simply read what was written WTF is the world coming too.
I agree, if indeed true. Reading a sentence off a players screen doesn't rise to the level of resignation or even reprimand. Just inform all coaches, Black and White not to use or read the word aloud and not to play and any media or music that uses the term. I have a feeling about the dude, but he shouldn't have had to resign.

Advertisement
He was actually in a meeting with players and one player wasn't paying attention so he took his iPad and read aloud what was on the players iPad. Shouldn't the player be dismissed from the team as well?
The public reprimand of said player was enough punishment unless said player was a repeat offender.

Advertisement
Maybe I misunderstood but what I took from it was the player wrote VERBATIM what Gundy said while talking. When Gundy looked at his IPAD to see why the kid was distracted he saw what he had said. He didn’t realize he had used that word supposedly and meant no harm. He resigned voluntarily- which I don’t believe btw.

From Reddit:

Insiders are saying (with confidence) he took a kids Ipad during film, it had rap lyrics on it which he hooked up to the projector and started reading out loud. Apparently he said a slur and then immediately apologized. All the kids in the room didn't care and have supported him.

Our administration (above athletics) canned him.

This is from insiders and accurate sources.

Ice Cube to HBO talk show host Bill Maher, who referred to himself as a "house ******" on a previous show

"What made you think it was cool to say that?" Ice Cube asked. "I think we need to get to the root of the psyche. There's a lot of guys out there who cross the line because...they think they're too familiar...or [they] might have had a black girlfriend or two... and they think they can cross the line. And they can't."

"It's like a knife. You can use it as a weapon, or you can use it as a tool. It's been used as a weapon against us by white people... That's our word now, and you can't have it back."

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2017/06/ice-cube-bill-maher-our-word-now

Advertisement

Stare Down Season 9 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

So let me get this right he read what the kid had on his screen. So he didn't use the word the player did. He simply read what was written WTF is the world coming too.
has to be more to the story. reading someone else's words off an iPad couldn't possibly justify his termination. also bear in mind this is not a PC or "woke" state. also I believe this all happened out of the view of the public. there was no media or outside pressures calling for his firing.

maybe he read the words in a mocking tone or imitated the players voice. I could see where that might be offensive to others in the room.

Advertisement
Back