By the numbers: Doubting Miami's D?

And Gtfoh with all these numbers. Eyes don't lie. S.o.s goes to fsu by a mile. What are we smoking on this thread? I mean how is this even a debate? Defense sucks and fsu has a waaaaaaaaaay tougher strength of schedule. Sagarins can sag deez nuds cuz that list is flawed

One common opponent in UL. Nebraska on the road is a better team than playing Clemson at Doak. They have Notre Dame as the difference maker schedule wise. Not even sure how good they are watching them throughout the year. They have Cuse, Wake, NC State and Oklahoma State. All are average or suck. Arky State, Cincy, GT and Duke isn't worse than FSU's 4.

Disagree because I think Oklahoma State is the best of those 8 teams. 5-3 with losses to Florida State, TCU, and West Virginia, all top 15 teams.

2 losses by 24 or more points. They lost their QB but they aren't a good team. In reality their best win is against a 3-win Texas Tech team but it really is the close loss to FSU in week 1. They beat Texas the rest of the way(maybe) and thats its.

Advertisement
And Gtfoh with all these numbers. Eyes don't lie. S.o.s goes to fsu by a mile. What are we smoking on this thread? I mean how is this even a debate? Defense sucks and fsu has a waaaaaaaaaay tougher strength of schedule. Sagarins can sag deez nuds cuz that list is flawed

One common opponent in UL. Nebraska on the road is a better team than playing Clemson at Doak. They have Notre Dame as the difference maker schedule wise. Not even sure how good they are watching them throughout the year. They have Cuse, Wake, NC State and Oklahoma State. All are average or suck. Arky State, Cincy, GT and Duke isn't worse than FSU's 4.

Disagree because I think Oklahoma State is the best of those 8 teams. 5-3 with losses to Florida State, TCU, and West Virginia, all top 15 teams.

2 losses by 24 or more points. They lost their QB but they aren't a good team. In reality their best win is against a 3-win Texas Tech team but it really is the close loss to FSU in week 1. They beat Texas the rest of the way(maybe) and thats its.

It's still the fact that they lost to excellent teams, even if they were blowouts. The only argument I really see is I think their wins are underwhelming. The other thing I'll say that I think Oklahoma State would beat Syracuse, Wake, NC State, Cincy, GT, and Duke would give them a game.

It's still the fact that they lost to excellent teams, even if they were blowouts. The only argument I really see is I think their wins are underwhelming. The other thing I'll say that I think Oklahoma State would beat Syracuse, Wake, NC State, Cincy, GT, and Duke would give them a game.

Miami got blown out by K-State and Notre Dame in 2012. Don't remember any credit being given to a 7-5 team for simply having good teams on the schedule.

They are not good. Specifically with that back up QB.

Miami got blown out by K-State and Notre Dame in 2012. Don't remember any credit being given to a 7-5 team for simply having good teams on the schedule.

Because 2012 Miami also lost to 4-8 Virginia who is a far cry from a good team.

They are slightly above par. Do you think they would beat those 7 teams?

Miami had not lost to that UVA team at that point. People weren't saying they were good team after those losses because Miami just like Oklahoma State wasn't a good team

I don't know if they would beat those team which says what I think of them. NC State had a big lead on FSU. Does that mean anything? Since you're giving credit to Okie State for playing FSU. NC State would have the better QB in that game too. So would Cincy.

Advertisement
Duke and GT might be better right now then OkieSt. However, FSU played them when they had Walsh.

All that said, FSU schedule has still been tougher then ours. Neither schedule was/is very difficult.

Miami had not lost to that UVA team at that point. People weren't saying they were good team after those losses because Miami just like Oklahoma State wasn't a good team

I don't know if they would beat those team which says what I think of them. NC State had a big lead on FSU. Does that mean anything? Since you're giving credit to Okie State for playing FSU. NC State would have the better QB in that game too. So would Cincy.

This Oklahoma State would beat 2012 Miami by about 13 points. They went head to head with FSU for the entire game while 2012 Miami was beat down from the start. Oklahoma State isn't elite but they are good enough.

NC State ended up losing by 15 and gave up 56 while Oklahoma State lost by 6 and gave up 37. I think it's pretty evident that Oklahoma State had the better performance.

Oklahoma State would smash Cincy's face in and I think they beat NC State by 6 or so. So I guess to my larger point overall is that FSU has played the tougher schedule because of Oklahoma State and NC State is no slouch like you pointed out.

Love that its ok to use stats that make the team and staff look bad ... Thats ok thats fine... But when the stats make the staff and team look better... Nooooo we cant have that so we start saying stats are meaningless .. Its comical

Ok st team is absolutely terrible this year do you people watch other teams besides us im a fan of the sport also

Advertisement
Ok st team is absolutely terrible this year do you people watch other teams besides us im a fan of the sport also

Except they aren't terrible. If they were terrible, they wouldn't have stuck with FSU. Their losses are all to very good to elite teams. Evidently you don't want them play.

Love that its ok to use stats that make the team and staff look bad ... Thats ok thats fine... But when the stats make the staff and team look better... Nooooo we cant have that so we start saying stats are meaningless .. Its comical

It's not hard to make the staff look bad, look at these stats:

We have 3 losses ALREADY. We lost 4 last year. We lost 5 the year before that. We lost 6 games in 2011.

ACC Performance

2011: 3-5
2012: 5-3
2013: 5-3
2014: 3-2 (with FSU still to play)

0-3 against FSU
0 Coastal Crowns
0 ACCCG Appearances

Get a clue

Last edited:

The only stats that matter are wins and losses. And throughout his career Folden has proved to be a .500 coach, 54-52 entering today to be exact. In his 8 full seasons he has never had less than 4 losses. Maybe one day he will have that miracle 12-0 or 11-1 season but after nearly 10 years on the job his record speaks for itself. He is what his record says he is.....54-52.

Advertisement
Yards per play is just dumb. Someone needs to explain that if you CONSISTENTLY give up 5-6 yards per play then your defense never gets off the field. We are too CONSISTENT and this is evident by the fact that are numbers don't benefit from TFLs or suffer from stat skewing big plays.

Again, you rather give up an 90 yard bomb and then get 4 straight three and outs, or give up five yards per play for 5 straight possessions? The former gives up 7pts and 7yds per play, the later gives up 35pts and 5yds per play.

Yep average means nothing, the standard deviation is insanely important when it comes to this.

Ok so what are the excuses this week... Unc offense stinks lol ... Lets hear them

look, we know how good this d can be. i dont think anyone is arguing what the D is capable of. we were arguing that the coaches are to stubborn to allow them to play ball or change their schematics.

im pretty sure most of us want to eat crow. We love this team and we would rather be wrong and be a winning team.

But its hard to do that when youve had no reason to and the excuses that have been given are just not good enough.

Advertisement
Ok so what are the excuses this week... Unc offense stinks lol ... Lets hear them

look, we know how good this d can be. i dont think anyone is arguing what the D is capable of. we were arguing that the coaches are to stubborn to allow them to play ball or change their schematics.

im pretty sure most of us want to eat crow. We love this team and we would rather be wrong and be a winning team.

But its hard to do that when youve had no reason to and the excuses that have been given are just not good enough.

The sad part is i dont think people want to eat crow!!

People make excuses when we beat teams ... Stats only matter for people against golden and the team... The d is ranked top 20 in country yet it dont matter because those rankings support the team....

If we have some so far on Defense, let's see it on Saturday. Let's see this defense hold UNC to less than 20.
Ok and what is your reaction to today? Team is making progress. Stepping up, glad to support them!!

Advertisement
Back