By the numbers: Doubting Miami's D?

Advertisement
Pass numbers are inflated. You will see a true test of that next 2 weeks. The key indicator of how much the defense sucks.....when you need a stop, against Nebraska and GT, you know what they other team is going to do and you can't stop it. All I need to see. Can't make a play.

Advertisement
Yards per play is just dumb. Someone needs to explain that if you CONSISTENTLY give up 5-6 yards per play then your defense never gets off the field. We are too CONSISTENT and this is evident by the fact that are numbers don't benefit from TFLs or suffer from stat skewing big plays.

Again, you rather give up an 90 yard bomb and then get 4 straight three and outs, or give up five yards per play for 5 straight possessions? The former gives up 7pts and 7yds per play, the later gives up 35pts and 5yds per play.

Dominant post right here

Those numbers make you wonder a bit, at least me. I think if the defense was allowed to be as aggressive every game as they were last week or against Duke, they'd succeed week in and week out. The biggest issues with the defense is just not matching personnel. That changed against VT, but the VT offense is so bad, I don't know how much of the success was actually with the help of loading the box and blitzing more often, or just them being bad. I do know there were plenty of players moving around quicker and reading better against VT.

I am sure I won't get much love for not saying fly the banner or fire them now, but I'm not going to lie about my opinion for some likes.

Advertisement
"Add it all up, and you certainly don’t get a dominant defense, but Miami also isn’t playing with Ray Lewis and Ed Reed these days either."

So we can only win if we have Reed and Lewis?

Don't know how much damage Ray can do 7 yards off the line

Advertisement
I just saw 2 aggressive defenses with a lot of Florida/Miami talent get lit up for 500+

Against impressive offenses, not mediocre offenses.

Fsu is ranked 69 in total O, Louisville 85th. We are 43rd. Yardage wise, we're more impressive than both.

Please stop gagger!
200.gif

People always say numbers don't lie. The thing is though, they do because they don't tell the whole truth. You can give up an average of 11 points a game through 8 games and everyone will think you have a great defense. Until they look closer at each game and realize you have 5 shutouts against ****** teams and have given up all 88 points in those other 3 games.

The GT game is a perfect example of numbers not telling the whole story. They scored 28 points, ran 72 plays and only averaged about 5 yards a play. Nothing spectacular until you notice they had the ball for 41 minutes and only had about 5 plays of 13 yards or more. That adds up to a team who consistently gets about 4 yards a play, especially when you have almost no negative plays. It's hard to score a lot of points and gain a lot of yards if you take your time and methodically march up and down the field on a team.

We all know the real problem has to do with the scheme, play calling and alignment. This goes back to the VT game last year when everyone, including the announcers, knew that VT was going to run shallow crossing routes on third down, and yet Dorito plays a defense where the LB's are dropping back to 12 yards on 3rd and 6. EVERY. *******. THIRD. DOWN. It was the same **** against GT this year. Everybody, including the announcers, are wondering why they aren't putting someone over the center and why the safeties are playing at 15 yards. I watch every single play of every single game. I don't care what the numbers say, my eyes tell me that the defensive play calling and scheme is garbage.

I just saw 2 aggressive defenses with a lot of Florida/Miami talent get lit up for 500+

Fsu is ranked 69 in total O, Louisville 85th. We are 43rd. Yardage wise, we're more impressive than both.

FSU has played a tougher schedule. They are still an elite offense.

Parker coming back for Louisville changes everything and he proved it tonight.

Advertisement

Please stop gagger!
200.gif
Those pesky facts. Hate it when they get in they way of the agenda.

Except those aren't facts, they are distortions at best.

FSU has played a ridiculously tough schedule, and has broken 30 every game, excluding one game against Clemson without the best QB in the nation.

I also thought "yards don't matter?"

Not going to ***** off at you for noting something that has statistics backing it up. Would be interesting to see additional stats for special teams and breakdowns by halves and quarters. Something doesn't seem right about this team - perhaps it's the big plays that are killing us? Adjustments? Predictability? Special teams. Tackles for loss? 3rd down efficiency? Need some stat guru to pick this up.

3rd downs is what was killing us in the 3 losses. Both offensively and defensively.

3rd and 16 to start the 4th Quarter against GT

cryinghandrub.gif

This play will live in infamy. Gunter just pack pedaling, watching the completion happen.

Advertisement
Back