Butch is never coaching at Miami again

Advertisement
OP probably prefers this one:

[video=youtube;_Z5-P9v3F8w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z5-P9v3F8w[/video]

How did he ***** Miami? Dont think he was honest with the way he handled thing. In other news, what does OP mean? Original poster? For the person who post under...... WhatTheHell........ dude. Why you gotta be so mean? And stop trying to send me links to tranny **** in my PM box.

Honestly the way Butch left us really did ***** us. We could have had Mark Richt and would not be in this hellhole of a situation we are in right now.

That being said I still want Butch back.

How did he ***** Miami? Dont think he was honest with the way he handled thing. In other news, what does OP mean? Original poster? For the person who post under...... WhatTheHell........ dude. Why you gotta be so mean? And stop trying to send me links to tranny **** in my PM box.

Honestly the way Butch left us really did ***** us. We could have had Mark Richt and would not be in this hellhole of a situation we are in right now.

At some point, this issue of who was honest with whom needs to be put away with all the other emotional baggage and children's toys.

Texas President was backing Mack...until he wasn't. PSU supported JoePa...until they weren't. OSU fully supported Tressel...untl they werent. FSU and Bowden. Bama and Shula. Michigan and Rich Rod. UCLA and Neuheisel. WV and Stewart. UM and Coker/Shannon.

Don't kid yourselves. Its business.

Administrations engage in the same sort of phuckery coaches do. It may be a family in the locker room but the hugs end at the door.

If UM is serious about competing and winning at the highest levels, they will have already reached out to the agents of some candidates.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Hate to break it to you. "Neg" away.

KOrmZ3v.gif

When Butch talked about his last months at the U he was going thru a contentious contract renegotiation and the sticking point was the buyout penalties if he left. Butch felt the terms were highly unfair to him if he left. He specifically referenced the fact that fans were just 3 years prior, FLYING BANNERS TO FIRE HIM OVER THE ORANGE BOWL. His point was its a fickle world and the fan base and the admin can turn on you in NY minute

Exactly how much turnover has there been with the BOT since 2001?

HOW MANY of these so-called "angry" trustees were actually here when it went down-- that's 13 yrs ago?????

Yeah, there may be one or two, but when faced with the rapid demise of this program, I wonder how many will change their tune-- and how many who have no opinion will overrule the anti-butch trustees?

Advertisement
Butch didn't **** the U. The U phuked itself. It was some FANS who put the blame on Butch - but just because he was no longer here.

Let's compare another **** up. Some ******, extended Al Golden's contract - currently making it difficult to terminate his fat ***. This in of itself is a multi-million dollar mistake

Now. Who made this HUGE mistake? Are they fired? Terminated? Strangled or gutted like they deserve? Who makes such monumental mistakes and who approves such monumental mistakes?

I'll say this - Al Golden is a lot smarter than the entire Administration, their legal department, AND the entire BOT combined. Al got all of these fools to give him a big-assed extension - based entirely on slick talk, smoke, and mirrors. He phuked them all, and he's phuking all of us to this day.

HurricaneU is absolutely right. It's business.

Butch Davis to this day will occasionally be referenced, and sometimes on how he phuked UM. Just left. Just left everyone hanging. But when you get into what happened, you see that negotiations termination was made by UM - refusing to negotiate the buyout clause to at least an equitable 50/50.

Once again, the U phuked itself. Like this extension of Golden's contract. The U phuked itself.

I think the U needs to bring in some street agents next time any contracts are being negotiated - at least the uneducated street agents don't make dumbass multi-million dollar mistakes.

it doesn't even matter anymore because no one is perfect and people make mistakes and most learn from them which it seems Butch has. However people trying to say UM ***ed up the negotiation w/ Butch are freaking crazy and prove just how good of a liar Butch was and still is. Butch was always leaving maybe he would have stayed through the 01 season but he wasn't staying here long term if he was he would have signed the offer Dee made in late Jan.

Negotiations plodded forward through the Sugar Bowl. On Jan. 5 both parties agreed to a base compensation of $8.5 million over five years, plus some incentive bonuses—all of which would have put Davis among the three highest-paid college football coaches in the nation. Two issues remained unresolved: the buyout if Davis took another job, and the guaranteed compensation if Davis was fired. Miami wanted Davis to pay a $2.5 million buyout if he left after the first year, and the school would pay him $5 million (of the remaining $6.8 million) if he was fired following the first season. (The buyout would decrease by $500,000 and the compensation by $1 million in each succeeding year.) Davis and Demoff found both clauses unacceptable.

Large buyout riders are not uncommon for sought-after college coaches, although $2.5 million would have been extraordinary. When Dennis Franchione left TCU for Alabama in December, he was charged a $1 million buyout and has a $1 million buyout in his Alabama contract. Virginia Tech's Frank Beamer has an $850,000 buyout. Dee defends Miami's demand for a stiff buyout clause by saying, "If we were going to make the investment that we were prepared to make, we expected reciprocity."

The parties exchanged offers in the days that followed. On Jan. 24, 13 days after Cleveland dismissed Chris Palmer as coach and put Davis on its short list, Miami offered to fully guarantee Davis's contract in the event that he was fired, and reduced the buyout to 20% of his remaining salary at the time of departure, approximately $1.37 million after the first year. (It galled Davis that he might have to work for $1.7 million and then pay back nearly that much to leave, a scenario that he compared to working a year for nothing.) Demoff offered four scenarios to Miami, including a 100-10 deal, in which Davis would have a 100% guaranteed contract and owe 10% of his remaining salary as buyout, roughly $680,000 after the first year. Miami's counter, on Jan. 27, was to drop the guarantee on the contract to 90% and reduce the buyout from 20% to 15%, which would have been $1.02 million after the first year.

[video=youtube_share;_woEHL3xqbg]http://youtu.be/_woEHL3xqbg[/video]

He said he wanted to be here through 2010. If that's the case why the **** wouldn't he take a contract offer that was going to put him in the top 3 highest paid coach in his profession and guaranteed him 100% of the contract if the fans turned on him again and UM fired him. Are you kidding me. Butch could have literally sat on his laurels and UM wouldn't have been able to do **** about it because he was going to get paid every dime of the $8.5. The only negative would be if Butch planned to leave Miami for another job, which Butch/his agent/admins/and everyone with half a brain new he planned to do at some point. The guy was always flirting with offers the last two seasons here. Dude chased the money just like 99% of people have and will continue to do, the buyout didn't make him leave just made him leave sooner than he may have wanted.

Like I said at this point all this should be water under the bridge, if they like Butch as a candidate due to his skills to handle the job, then how he left shouldn't matter anymore.

Butch Davis is a lying scumbag, but he is the best evaluator of talent that I can remember. Bobby Olive Garden is a lying scumbag too. I don't care. Just win football games.

Advertisement
OP is the Al Golden of the board. Doesn't know **** but talks anyway.

I never understand these folks, who make statements like this as if they are based on some real knowledge.

His post comes off more like a scorned ****** who personally doesn't want Butch back.

Yeah Bobby Petrino was never coaching at UL and his career was over after banging that fugly looking broad. Lebron was never going back to Cleveland after being trashed by the owner and his jerseys burnt. Those things are way more recent and were way more public. Wins mean more than hurt feelings of 14 years ago. Moral of the story, never say never.

Petrino didn't leave UL on a sour note

Advertisement
it doesn't even matter anymore because no one is perfect and people make mistakes and most learn from them which it seems Butch has. However people trying to say UM ***ed up the negotiation w/ Butch are freaking crazy and prove just how good of a liar Butch was and still is. Butch was always leaving maybe he would have stayed through the 01 season but he wasn't staying here long term if he was he would have signed the offer Dee made in late Jan.

Negotiations plodded forward through the Sugar Bowl. On Jan. 5 both parties agreed to a base compensation of $8.5 million over five years, plus some incentive bonuses—all of which would have put Davis among the three highest-paid college football coaches in the nation. Two issues remained unresolved: the buyout if Davis took another job, and the guaranteed compensation if Davis was fired. Miami wanted Davis to pay a $2.5 million buyout if he left after the first year, and the school would pay him $5 million (of the remaining $6.8 million) if he was fired following the first season. (The buyout would decrease by $500,000 and the compensation by $1 million in each succeeding year.) Davis and Demoff found both clauses unacceptable.

Large buyout riders are not uncommon for sought-after college coaches, although $2.5 million would have been extraordinary. When Dennis Franchione left TCU for Alabama in December, he was charged a $1 million buyout and has a $1 million buyout in his Alabama contract. Virginia Tech's Frank Beamer has an $850,000 buyout. Dee defends Miami's demand for a stiff buyout clause by saying, "If we were going to make the investment that we were prepared to make, we expected reciprocity."

The parties exchanged offers in the days that followed. On Jan. 24, 13 days after Cleveland dismissed Chris Palmer as coach and put Davis on its short list, Miami offered to fully guarantee Davis's contract in the event that he was fired, and reduced the buyout to 20% of his remaining salary at the time of departure, approximately $1.37 million after the first year. (It galled Davis that he might have to work for $1.7 million and then pay back nearly that much to leave, a scenario that he compared to working a year for nothing.) Demoff offered four scenarios to Miami, including a 100-10 deal, in which Davis would have a 100% guaranteed contract and owe 10% of his remaining salary as buyout, roughly $680,000 after the first year. Miami's counter, on Jan. 27, was to drop the guarantee on the contract to 90% and reduce the buyout from 20% to 15%, which would have been $1.02 million after the first year.

[video=youtube_share;_woEHL3xqbg]http://youtu.be/_woEHL3xqbg[/video]

He said he wanted to be here through 2010. If that's the case why the **** wouldn't he take a contract offer that was going to put him in the top 3 highest paid coach in his profession and guaranteed him 100% of the contract if the fans turned on him again and UM fired him. Are you kidding me. Butch could have literally sat on his laurels and UM wouldn't have been able to do **** about it because he was going to get paid every dime of the $8.5. The only negative would be if Butch planned to leave Miami for another job, which Butch/his agent/admins/and everyone with half a brain new he planned to do at some point. The guy was always flirting with offers the last two seasons here. Dude chased the money just like 99% of people have and will continue to do, the buyout didn't make him leave just made him leave sooner than he may have wanted.

Like I said at this point all this should be water under the bridge, if they like Butch as a candidate due to his skills to handle the job, then how he left shouldn't matter anymore.

Sunk costs. 14 year old water under the bridge. Both parties are in different positions now and should learn from previous dealings in order to structure the right deal.

If both sides try to extract a butthurt premium, it will fail. And we will be scrambling to find another JAG magnet for a corch.

Ever heard the saying the only person you should worry about is yourself . Well Butch was looking out for his and his family's best interest

Advertisement
Back