Butch Davis - Haters cost us 4 crappy coaches

Without Butch Davis, the Miami football program would for sure and for certain have been really dead ... over ... finished for good back in the 90s. what Butch did and was willing to do (who else even wanted the Miami job after Erickson?) was nothing short of an amazing job !

every so-called Canes fan that enjoyed winning a 5th national championship should line up and kiss Butch's *** and thank him for that one !
This right here. ^^^^^

1995 would have been 2004 and we'd be lamenting 24 years of mediocrity.

Advertisement
We passed on Butch for Golden, then passed again and got Richt, then again and got good ole Manny. How many years did we just waste, how many millions did we burn in all those buyouts. What ***** idiot runs this athletic dept, who in their right mind would hire such clowns. The name on the banner needs to be Blake James. Had we had a football friendly AD that went 1 inch out on a limb and hired Butch way back instead of golden showers we would be back, like 4 or 5 years ago. Who the F ever heard of al golden and what had he done, answer, he's still doing it. These guys never learn no matter how many times they F up, they are not accountable, and until their held accountable it will be status quo. You guys may not like Butch, and I really dont see how that could be, but we would have been 10 x better off than we are now. 10 x.

People need to dispel the fact that Butch left UM at the altar. After the 11-1 2000 season, the school squabbled with him for an annual salary of $1 million a year, after they had a handshake agreement. At the same time, the Cleveland Browns offered him $4 million a year. Any logical financial responsible person would have done same. Although he didn't have to apologize for leaving, he did. Read the Prodigal Son. Bring him back!

Oh, I've heard the conventional wisdom here on CIS - while Richt was asleep at the wheel - all we had to do was get Briles Jr. for OC and our problems would be solved. Briles sure is smoking it at FSU.

Hired our OC - AKA Clappy! An automatic transition after Butch - and we slowly choked on our own baloney. I also recall Radar. Former Cane, great DC - knows UM football - going to smoke it! Yeah, right.

Golden - he was one bright light doing well at Temple - with greater talent he would do well here! Myazz. Oh! SEC Richt! UM guy! Experienced Head Coach! Now Manny.

Pardon me, but the conventional wisdom as to who would have success here - and who wouldn't - has a long tracking of absolutely sucking ***.

Not ONE - not ONE single HC we've had - can both evaluate real talent - successfully recruit that talent - and then develop that talent. I don't give a good GD for all the "Youth" everyone seems to like.

JJ had Butch leaving campus on Thursdays - scouting and evaluating talent - and also recruiting it. Erickson inherited JJ's (and Butch's) talent and just managed to keep it going - for a little while. Then Butch won a couple Super Bowl rings as DC - and then returned to UM.

31 scholarships in the hole - a program in the crapper - he had to be absolutely certain of who of the few he could bring in at UM - and produced the greatest college roster of all time.

Butch doesn't have a secret formula? Maybe, maybe not. But he knows Miami like very few do - and he knows how to hire the right coordinators - he had to fire one early on at UM - and how important they are.

And he knows somehow - maybe a secret formula - how to find true dogs that absolutely HATE losing - and are so fired up on game day - (something we haven't see the likes of in well over a decade -) to a degree are all highly self-motivated.

Listen, fair enough, you like Butch. I like Butch, too -- guy is a UM legend who brought us back from the brink. You're right that his recruiting and development abilities in the late 90s were out of this world. I just really don't believe that we are living in the same CFB world anymore -- recruiting at UM in 1999 is not the same as recruiting here in 2019. And besides, what about Butch's post-UM career makes you so sure that he still has it? He had a few 8-win seasons at UNC and then got run out of town during an NCAA scandal... That's it. Maybe, MAYBE, Butch would have worked out in a second stint here, but I find it very weird that you guys are so sure.

Listen, fair enough, you like Butch. I like Butch, too -- guy is a UM legend who brought us back from the brink. You're right that his recruiting and development abilities in the late 90s were out of this world. I just really don't believe that we are living in the same CFB world anymore -- recruiting at UM in 1999 is not the same as recruiting here in 2019. And besides, what about Butch's post-UM career makes you so sure that he still has it? He had a few 8-win seasons at UNC and then got run out of town during an NCAA scandal... That's it. Maybe, MAYBE, Butch would have worked out in a second stint here, but I find it very weird that you guys are so sure.

Oh, I agree!

If Butch came here - he'd not be looking at losing 31 scholarships! Everyone that came - knew they were going to miss TV, and that it was going to be one sorry-assed team for years. But he still grabbed great players. He could only bring in a few each year - but they were gems.

This time, he'd not be HC of a team that much of the sports world wanted to get the death penalty.

Oh, and if you think Bama and most other SEC teams DIDN'T buy players back then - you'd be badly mistaken. A guy I personally know from this little town had a rich daddy - but Auburn still bought him a new Vette.

No, you're right! This next time it would be much, much easier.

Advertisement
its amazing how Butch-haters will go thru every illogical or stupid mental contortion possible to hate Butch or oppose any thought or possibility of Butch Davis ever coaching at Miami again.... damnedest thing i have ever seen.

Butch Derangement Syndrome.

Advertisement
Butch would have left after 2001 or 2002. Butch wanted to coach in the NFL. Why do you think the buyout was such an issue?
Butch had just signed a new contract and was perfectly happy with the salary of that contract and wanted to stay at Miami and had already told the team he was staying. the buyout clause became an issue because what Miami was offering was much lower than the standard buyout rate given to most coaches and considering what Butch had accomplished and done to save the program, what Miami was doing was a complete insult and deliberately disrespectful .... guess who was behind this bull**** ?

Butch had just signed a new contract and was perfectly happy with the salary of that contract and wanted to stay at Miami and had already told the team he was staying. the buyout clause became an issue because what Miami was offering was much lower than the standard buyout rate given to most coaches and considering what Butch had accomplished and done to save the program, what Miami was doing was a complete insult and deliberately disrespectful .... guess who was behind this bull**** ?
I agree. Fake news media, persuaded by whomever, made Butch to look like the bad guy. I heard an interview with Jimmy Johnson, where Butch asked Jimmy what he should do, and JJ told him to take the the Cleveland job, not as an insult to Miami, but it was guaranteed money of almost $4 million a year for Butch.

I agree. Fake news media, persuaded by whomever, made Butch to look like the bad guy. I heard an interview with Jimmy Johnson, where Butch asked Jimmy what he should do, and JJ told him to take the the Cleveland job, not as an insult to Miami, but it was guaranteed money of almost $4 million a year for Butch.
The important true FACT of the whole situation is that Butch had ALREADY signed a new contract with Miami and wanted to stay and had told the team he was staying.

Advertisement
When u see Mack getting five stars without wins at UNC u know **** well Butch would of did a real rebuild with nfl players all over the roster. Fans on CIS love the terrible hires and hate the last good one. Weird *** fan base man
Butch was the last REAL head coach the Canes have had ..... that makes the mouthbreathers on CIS crazy for some weird *** reason.
At Miami Butch was 51-20 and 4-0 in Bowls.... Grandpa Clappy, Corch Blandy, Sideline Al, and the latest clown show can't compare with that.

Butch was the last REAL head coach the Canes have had ..... that makes the mouthbreathers on CIS crazy for some weird *** reason.
U know the bullshyt saying on here "win and they will come" while mack brown is stinking it up at UNC he labds five stars and a good class.

Guys can recruit period have the gift win or lose. Butch would of had this roster oozing talent up front especially on DL and OL

Advertisement
U know the bullshyt saying on here "win and they will come" while mack brown is stinking it up at UNC he labds five stars and a good class.

Guys can recruit period have the gift win or lose. Butch would of had this roster oozing talent up front especially on DL and OL
Butch was and is the right coach to rebuild the Miami program ... only inbred ****wits can't see that.

Butch was and is the right coach to rebuild the Miami program ... only inbred ****wits can't see that.
Those fans **** me off so fuqin mich i bet there hiding like fuq man these guys were right. I never listen to any of those guys regarding coavhes....if i remember there user name and they mention coaches i just laugh and keep scrolling. Fuqin retards got fooled by the Diaz hire while few of us knew it was a really bad hire

Those fans **** me off so fuqin mich i bet there hiding like fuq man these guys were right. I never listen to any of those guys regarding coavhes....if i remember there user name and they mention coaches i just laugh and keep scrolling. Fuqin retards got fooled by the Diaz hire while few of us knew it was a really bad hire
Bro ... Miami already went down this dumbass road .... hiring a DC from a failed staff who had never been a head coach before .... how did that work out ? and that dumb ****forbrains Blake James did the SAME ******* THING with this current clownshow .... how ******* stupid can you get ?

Advertisement
Back