Bud Elliot Said Treon Harris Is "Looking Around"

You got one QB that was only recently offered and seems to headed to FSU or UF. He's interested, maybe, in looking around.

The other has a thread entitled "he's here". His recruitment has been full of breathless wondering if he will stick despite the fact he has done nothing but talked about the U. He is described as THE MOST IMPORTANT recruit in the class by many. Coach flies 3000 miles to see him and have breakfast with him the SAME day that the kid flies to the U for his official visit. His cookie cake will have the most views of any that came before it.

I don't see how the first one figures to play at the U?

I'd like to get them all but I don't see how this ends well for UM with Harris...

Unless he is coming to the realization that maybe he really isn't a big-time college QB and he is more open to playing another position, but just hasn't admitted it openly yet. He HAS to know that FSU is playing him as far as them expecting him to be a QB. Looking at our depth chart and our offensive system, he must also know that even if we say we'll give him a shot at QB, he's not a fit and will be competing against two prototypical pro-style offense QBs that also are/were highly ranked recruits at the position, which means he has almost no shot at QB. Now if UF revamps their offense to mimic Oregon, then he may well be a much better fit there as a QB...but he will also have little chance at going pro than if he spent time at FSU or UM developing into another position where he can use his amazing athleticism.

Jimbo will let the kids play the position they want too, he always says he will advise players where he thinks they can be most successful at FSU and in the league but he doesn't force kids to change positions,

he let wilder stay at running back
los stay at safety
Dent say at wideout
etc...

even though Jimbo thought they were better suited for different positions

He may let him stay at that position, but he won't get much if any playing time.

Advertisement
So many of us have been saying forever that you recruit Treon as a QB, let him have a shot, and see how the chips fall. One of the 3 possible outcomes:

1. Kid proves everyone wrong and starts at QB.
2. Kid realizes he won't start at QB, changes position, and becomes a stud because he's a football player with a high football IQ.
3. Kid transfers to a place where he can play QB if he gets beat out here.

There isn't a person on this board that can convince me that he's not as good as Rozier at a min.

Agree with all who have said that this is a kid who is respected, would have repped the U, and would have had an impact on some other local guys. It just makes too much sense.

Disappointed because Golden should know better. Recruiting is supposed to be a game that he plays well. This last min change of heart, while nice in that it actually occurred, should have never even occurred. Treon should have been recruited from jump.

You forgot scenario 4, and it is every bit as likely as your 1-3.

4. Kid gets beaten out at QB and buried in the depth chart by our pro-style QBs in our pro-style offense. He and his father publicly gripe about how he was never given a fair chance and how Golden is giving preferential treatment to those OOS QBs over the home grown talent.

So then why offer him now at QB if that's a real concern? If that's your concern, then you never offer him at QB.

I guess the staff decided it was worth the gamble to bring him in due to his athletic ability. Not sure I'd have done the same, but they probably feel that the likelihood of the blow-up by him and his father is low enough that it's worth getting him in here and later switching him to a position for which he's actually suited.

You got one QB that was only recently offered and seems to headed to FSU or UF. He's interested, maybe, in looking around.

The other has a thread entitled "he's here". His recruitment has been full of breathless wondering if he will stick despite the fact he has done nothing but talked about the U. He is described as THE MOST IMPORTANT recruit in the class by many. Coach flies 3000 miles to see him and have breakfast with him the SAME day that the kid flies to the U for his official visit. His cookie cake will have the most views of any that came before it.

I'd like to get them all but I don't see how this ends well for UM with Harris...

Unless he is coming to the realization that maybe he really isn't a big-time college QB and he is more open to playing another position, but just hasn't admitted it openly yet. He HAS to know that FSU is playing him as far as them expecting him to be a QB. Looking at our depth chart and our offensive system, he must also know that even if we say we'll give him a shot at QB, he's not a fit and will be competing against two prototypical pro-style offense QBs that also are/were highly ranked recruits at the position, which means he has almost no shot at QB. Now if UF revamps their offense to mimic Oregon, then he may well be a much better fit there as a QB...but he will also have little chance at going pro than if he spent time at FSU or UM developing into another position where he can use his amazing athleticism.

Jimbo will let the kids play the position they want too, he always says he will advise players where he thinks they can be most successful at FSU and in the league but he doesn't force kids to change positions,

los stay at safety
Dent say at wideout
etc...

He may let him stay at that position, but he won't get much if any playing time.

No **** Sherlock. Coaches play their best players at their given position.

So many of us have been saying forever that you recruit Treon as a QB, let him have a shot, and see how the chips fall. One of the 3 possible outcomes:

1. Kid proves everyone wrong and starts at QB.
2. Kid realizes he won't start at QB, changes position, and becomes a stud because he's a football player with a high football IQ.
3. Kid transfers to a place where he can play QB if he gets beat out here.

There isn't a person on this board that can convince me that he's not as good as Rozier at a min.

Agree with all who have said that this is a kid who is respected, would have repped the U, and would have had an impact on some other local guys. It just makes too much sense.

Disappointed because Golden should know better. Recruiting is supposed to be a game that he plays well. This last min change of heart, while nice in that it actually occurred, should have never even occurred. Treon should have been recruited from jump.

You forgot scenario 4, and it is every bit as likely as your 1-3.

4. Kid gets beaten out at QB and buried in the depth chart by our pro-style QBs in our pro-style offense. He and his father publicly gripe about how he was never given a fair chance and how Golden is giving preferential treatment to those OOS QBs over the home grown talent.

So then why offer him now at QB if that's a real concern? If that's your concern, then you never offer him at QB.

I guess the staff decided it was worth the gamble to bring him in due to his athletic ability. Not sure I'd have done the same, but they probably feel that the likelihood of the blow-up by him and his father is low enough that it's worth getting him in here and later switching him to a position for which he's actually suited.

Agree with you DK. He's athletic enough to take as a receiver and find a spot for him on the field, but QB is a whole different situation. I just dont see him beating out Kaaya, which is going to ruffle feathers. We all know Ice is more than happy to speak his mind and I imagine he will be even louder if it's pertaining to his son. Wouldnt have been a risk I would have been willing to take.

Advertisement
I wish we would've made this move on Treon after the kaaya commitment. Also, I don't think Treon will be able to sway any local kids our way this cycle. He's not visiting till the 31st, so by the time he flips most kids will have already made up their mind. A lot of the south Florida kids he could've swayed already decided on a college.

Regardless, I still want him on my roster. Exceptional talent.

This has been such a no brainer for so long it is mind boggling. He has said that all he wants is a shot. Give him a shot and you either get a nice QB or a badass slot receiver / DB. Same with Winky.

I wish we would've made this move on Treon after the kaaya commitment. Also, I don't think Treon will be able to sway any local kids our way this cycle. He's not visiting till the 31st, so by the time he flips most kids will have already made up their mind. A lot of the south Florida kids he could've swayed already decided on a college.

What do you think the chances are?

Could he help sway big time 2015 kids? Does he have that type of presence in the community?

Advertisement

Could he help sway big time 2015 kids? Does he have that type of presence in the community?

I'm just assuming that we'd have a lot less to worry about when it comes to keeping Mark Walton on board

Yes

What do you think the chances are?

From what I've heard and my own personal opinion, he's not sticking with FSU. He is bringing his dad and mom to UF this weekend. UF has been recruiting him the hardest out of all four finalists. We have a chance but we might've just come on too late. Roper (UF's OC) is going to sell him on being a perfect fit for his system.

Having the last visit will be a huge boost but coley will have to show Treon how he fill fit in our offense. These visits will be pivotal. UF is the team to watch out for right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement

los stay at safety
Dent say at wideout
etc...

No **** Sherlock. Coaches play their best players at their given position.

Hope your little childish outburst made you feel better. My point is that while FSU may have said that they really wanted him as a QB, pretty much everyone knows that they had no expectation of him being one, at least not one that would actually get to play. Hopefully he's started to realize that and understand the position that Miami had taken with him, wanting him as an athlete, which is MUCH more honest, and then only offering him as a QB once the core recruiting class is mostly set.

kid should've had an offer a long time ago based on principle...not to mention how it could have had a positive impact on recruiting...foresight al, foresight...

Advertisement
kid should've had an offer a long time ago based on principle...not to mention how it could have had a positive impact on recruiting...foresight al, foresight...

Treon had an offer as a Athlete in the Slot/DB position which is where he is projected to be by almost everybody at the next level.

Treon had an offer as a Athlete in the Slot/DB position which is where he is projected to be by almost everybody at the next level.

This, we offered early as an athlete, but just recently said we would let him play QB.

Advertisement
Back