Bubble/Quick Screen

Agree. Nor have we had a QB who could make throws downfield to keep db's from being aggessive against short throws. Short passing game can only be successful when db's have to respect all throws. We haven't been able to do this, ergo db's anticipate short throws and are all over it.

Combine not having to respect all throws with not having to respect a running game, and defensive coordinators can take away the short passing game. Not a lot of good options after that.

Teams aren’t taking away the short and intermediate pass though. They are taking away the run and the deep ball.

If we designed it right we could pull the safety down over the slot or make them put the Sam/ nickel there and create a six man box. Teams are playing off but aggressively flying down on the bubble. We should have prepared for this in the offseason but we didn’t. Plays we need have to be repped alot 11 on 11 so the quarterback can make the quick reads and protect the ball. The proper design creates 2on 1 and 3 on 2 advantages that make pitch and catch easy. This forced the defense to give up easy yardage or bring their guys down.

Against MSU, we did this. The problem was King was too hurt to make them pay over the top. We went back to the well to often and he threw the second pick.

Advertisement
Teams aren’t taking away the short and intermediate pass though. They are taking away the run and the deep ball.

If we designed it right we could pull the safety down over the slot or make them put the Sam/ nickel there and create a six man box. Teams are playing off but aggressively flying down on the bubble. We should have prepared for this in the offseason but we didn’t. Plays we need have to be repped alot 11 on 11 so the quarterback can make the quick reads and protect the ball. The proper design creates 2on 1 and 3 on 2 advantages that make pitch and catch easy. This forced the defense to give up easy yardage or bring their guys down.

Against MSU, we did this. The problem was King was too hurt to make them pay over the top. We went back to the well to often and he threw the second pick.

I commented on our QB's inability to make intermediate throws reliably. Defenses haven't needed to scheme to take it away because it's been the weakest part of King's game last year and through the first three games this year.

I love the young man, but the route trees he can throw are limited, especially at the intermediate level. I didn't come right out and say because I have a ton of respect for D'Eriq, but this is what my comment was addressing.

Whatever you want to call them, we need to get rid of it.
Our QBs throw terrible passes on them. We block them soo poorly. The timing on them is brutal. Lastly, we usually lose yardage on them.

It hasn’t mattered who the QB was.
I definitely agree with this one

I love rpo but it is not clicking for whatever reason.

Yeah a lot of people don’t like the west coast offense because they want to spam the deep ball. I like the big play, but you have to earn those yards. Our fans are just as impatient as many of those offensive coordinators.

I keep pointing to LSU -Auburn 2019 because Auburn had a fast, physical defense that gave LSU problems. They had a difficult time blocking Auburn, so they couldn’t use a lot of the vertical concepts in Brady’s playbook. The well rounded design of the passing game allowed LSU to stay ahead of the chains, move the ball, and even hit some deep shots. They earned those downfield opportunities while developing rhythm and confidence for the offense and protecting their quarterback from an aggressive, talented front 4.

My opinion is that King is not an RPO QB. King needs better field visibility than an RPO usually affords. He made it work last year because he was a dangerous runner and always had that when an RPO play broke down. RPO needs quick-reads, hand-off option and therefore limited pocket depth for the QB. King struggles seeing the field and making his reads when he's faced with line play immediately in front of him.

I think King's ideal offense was read-option (obviously with his injuries it's past tense now). King in Briles Baylor offense would have been highly productive imo.

Last edited:
The problem is that they were biting hard on them yesterday, and the pump fake and hitting them deep never came.

We almost got Brashard, X and George killed on different instances because the DB’s knew what was coming and were right on them when the ball arrived.
Yup! Must tag in smoke, and some form of a pump fake bubble hit outside WR on a fade. Also Lashlee never calls a slant-sit to OR w/ a bubble to inside.

He’s really stuck in Gus’s old ways.

Advertisement
Wrong it’s a solid staple in college offenses and stretches the defense.

It should be a relatively safe play.

is low risk - high reward potential.

The problem is our TEs and WRs block them very poorly.

Sadly its purely effort. (Hallmark of a poorly coached team.)

And usually the guy we are throwing them to (Harley) isn’t that explosive.

As we get the ball into more explosive players hands better things will happen.
This. Mallory isn't the only bad blocker so is Harley. The knock on smallish receivers is they won't be able to block stronger cb's. This hurts the running game too.

Our QBs throw terrible passes on them. We block them soo poorly. The timing on them is brutal. Lastly, we usually lose yardage on them.

We don’t know how to execute the playbook in its reads and check offs ZERO FIELD PRESENCE.

We call a play and no matter what we see we run it then when our part done we stop and jog around back to huddle, that’s it

Sad in watch it all unfold.

This. Mallory isn't the only bad blocker so is Harley. The knock on smallish receivers is they won't be able to block stronger cb's. This hurts the running game too.
Harley needs to be the one catching the bubble and pop RPO so he doesn't have to block. Run smoke to the other side.

Advertisement
Harley needs to be the one catching the bubble and pop RPO so he doesn't have to block. Run smoke to the other side.
He does but Harley really isn't that much of a threat to break it against a good cb. The guy to catch the bubble screen should be someone with a good chance to make the first guy miss. I rather run a screen with Rooster in open space.

Bubbles take to long to develop. If you still had AR82 out there, sure.. but this the worse blocking group I’ve seen at Miami. Quick screens only. Play to your teams strengths.

He does but Harley really isn't that much of a threat to break it against a good cb. The guy to catch the bubble screen should be someone with a good chance to make the first guy miss. I rather run a screen with Rooster in open space.
If and buts were candy and nuts... this Rooster fella has to avoid being suspended or injured.

The issue is how late and poorly thrown the bubbles are. If they're part of your run package, I'm shocked how inaccurate all 3 QB's look in the RPO game.

Advertisement
Bubbles take to long to develop. If you still had AR82 out there, sure.. but this the worse blocking group I’ve seen at Miami. Quick screens only. Play to your teams strengths.
I would love to know your definition of a quick screen vs a bubble, the average timing of each play, etc

My opinion is that King is not an RPO QB. King needs better field visibility than an RPO usually affords. He made it work last year because he was a dangerous runner and always had that when an RPO play broke down. RPO needs quick-reads, hand-off option and therefore limited pocket depth for the QB. King struggles seeing the field and making his reads when he's faced with line play immediately in front of him.

I think King's ideal offense was read-option (obviously with his injuries it's past tense now). King in Briles Baylor offense would have been highly productive imo.

He was in Briles’ (Kendall offense). That’s why we wanted him. He lost his job when they switched to air raid (Lashlee’s passing offense).

It’s not read option. It’s run and shoot.

If and buts were candy and nuts... this Rooster fella has to avoid being suspended or injured.

The issue is how late and poorly thrown the bubbles are. If they're part of your run package, I'm shocked how inaccurate all 3 QB's look in the RPO game.
He should be back Thursday.

I thought Tyler was pretty accurate. Everyone is still sort of under throwing our guys on the deep balls.

Advertisement
He should be back Thursday.

I thought Tyler was pretty accurate. Everyone is still sort of under throwing our guys on the deep balls.
Van Dyke threw balls that are caught now vs CCSU, but some bad placement and wobbly throws on intermediate balls.

Dude won't be in game shape heading into ACC play. Gotta play in games to be in game shape

I would love to know your definition of a quick screen vs a bubble, the average timing of each play, etc
I was referring more to timing. Everything takes too long. Should have worded it different.

I'm more old school. I like middle screens myself. Get the TE's involved. Motion the receivers inside. Use the OL more (not in space). Our WR get driven 5 yards off the ball every time. They can't hold the edge at all.

I was referring more to timing. Everything takes too long. Should have worded it different.

I'm more old school. I like middle screens myself. Get the TE's involved. Motion the receivers inside. Use the OL more (not in space). Our WR get driven 5 yards off the ball every time. They can't hold the edge at all.
That's motivation and S&C. Miami isn't a powerful group of dudes. Slow, and lack power.

That's what coaches try to use when they can't establish a freakin run game. That's all this is, an extension of the run game. We can't block for that, so what would make Lash think they will block for these dumb bubbles.

Advertisement
Back