Confirmed Bryan McClendon hired as Co-OC

So we’d have two co-OC’s and then an actual OC? I don’t know if I’ve ever seen that set up before.

What if we make every offensive position coach a Co-OC, including Mario? Then the opposing teams wouldn't know how to prepare for us. They wouldn't know if the plays were coming from the booth or the sideline. Or TVD. I'm telling you, it could become the hot new trend in college football.

John Ruiz says "Everyone is a Co-OC at Miami, how much should I make the check out for?"

CIS freaks out about corporate org charts, and resume titles, and how all of the egos will co-exist, and will coaches constantly be looking over their shoulders...

Advertisement
So we’d have two co-OC’s and then an actual OC? I don’t know if I’ve ever seen that set up before.

Oklahoma has two OC's who don't call plays.

Bedenbaugh is the Co-OC/OL, but he coaches the OL.
Gundy is the Co-OC/IWR, but he coaches the inside WRs.

Neither call plays. Lincoln Riley does (or I guess did is more apt).

However, that won't happen here, since Mario is not a play-caller.

McClendon is the Co-OC/WR, but he will coach WRs.
I expect a Co-OC/QB to be named, who will be the playcaller.
Then you have an OL coach (Mirabal), a TE coach (Field, or possibly Coley) and a RB coach (Hickson, or maybe an outside hire)

I have to believe whoever the play caller is will be bringing in at least one of his guys for either the RB or TE coach position.

Very hard to see a scenario where an OC comes in and all his assistants are people he has no prior experience coaching with.

Didn't it literally just happen here?

Lashlee had no prior history with Likens, Field, Hickson, or Justice, as far as I know.

The only real link was Lashlee working for Sonny Dykes his two years at SMU, and Likens being a Dykes disciple as well. But they had never been on the same staff. I guess this is what you could mean by "one of his guys", but again they had never worked together.

Advertisement
Advertisement
After hearing nothing but talk about the newly increased budget and the best staff money can buy, if Mario turns around hires Coley as his OC it would be a massive disappointed and a terrible way to start his tenure.
Worse than Miami naming Diaz head coach?

Prove It The Kid Mero GIF by Desus & Mero

Didn't it literally just happen here?

Lashlee had no prior history with Likens, Field, Hickson, or Justice, as far as I know.

The only real link was Lashlee working for Sonny Dykes his two years at SMU, and Likens being a Dykes disciple as well. But they had never been on the same staff. I guess this is what you could mean by "one of his guys", but again they had never worked together.
Correct. He brought some off field guys but he’d never worked with any of the on field here. As you said Likens had time around the air raid and Dykes.

Last edited:
Where did the Coley rumors even come from? And why would he leave jimbo and that unlimited $$ especially as they seem to be on the rise

Advertisement
Sort of feels like (to this point) Mario is just bringing his boys from Oregon. Which is not to say that's a bad thing, per se - they clearly were doing some things right out west.

But I was hoping to see a bit more "splash". That might still be on the horizon though. I guess at this point, the Oregon boys are just the quickest hires since their season is over and he already has the connections.

Oklahoma has two OC's who don't call plays.

Bedenbaugh is the Co-OC/OL, but he coaches the OL.
Gundy is the Co-OC/IWR, but he coaches the inside WRs.

Neither call plays. Lincoln Riley does (or I guess did is more apt).

However, that won't happen here, since Mario is not a play-caller.

McClendon is the Co-OC/WR, but he will coach WRs.
I expect a Co-OC/QB to be named, who will be the playcaller.
Then you have an OL coach (Mirabal), a TE coach (Field, or possibly Coley) and a RB coach (Hickson, or maybe an outside hire)
If the title was “passing game coordinator” instead of Co-OC half of the board would suddenly be at peace, even though absolutely zero things would change in reality.

Advertisement
Co-OC literally means nothing but a fancy title to make the person feel good, a pay bump to keep them, and resume builder to help them try to get real OC at next job. I dont make much of this at all

THIS. Too many ppl online flipping out about the title. That's all it is. A title, which gives a higher pay floor

Advertisement
Back