Confirmed Bryan McClendon hired as Co-OC

I am trying to recall any time in the last 30 years where there was a QB that went from P5 conference rookie of the year winner to benched in a span of 4 games (where an injury wasn't involved). I honestly can't think of any.
Not exactly the same but just recently Spencer Rattler went from All Big 12 QB in 2020 at OU to benched in the 6th game the next year. Now struggling at USCar

Advertisement
My point is this:
Last season he was a dude who could be trusted to sling it out of HIS OWN end zone and drive his team down the field (see Pitt game). Now he can’t be allowed to even try to throw it into the other team’s end zone.

He threw enough spirals vs aTm, so let’s not act like every throw was a mechanical disaster or a duck.
He's been throwing a wobbly football all year, including A & M. Im not saying every time he throws it happens, but it has been happening a lot. His mechanics and footwork have been bad, even when he made some throws. Dont take my word for it, go back and really watch.

He's been throwing a wobbly football all year, including A & M. Im not saying every time he throws it happens, but it has been happening a lot. His mechanics and footwork have been bad, even when he made some throws. Dont take my word for it, go back and really watch.
I don’t disagree with any of that.

I have thought for a while he’s hurt.

Not exactly the same but just recently Spencer Rattler went from All Big 12 QB in 2020 at OU to benched in the 6th game the next year. Now struggling at USCar

Rattler still had almost 75% completion rate and Oklahoma was 4-0 when he was pulled. He had 11 TDs and 5 INTs. He certainly wasn't having the same year he had before, but he didn't suddenly turn into a guy who couldnt pass the ball in Rileys offense. His biggest problems were fumbling and sometimes being careless with passes. The other thing was that Caleb Williams when took over, the offense went from good to great. So in that situation you could reasonably say Rattler was the problem, not the system. And of course, the fact that Rileys offense was a Heisman Trophy generator for QBs also indicated that the fault was on Rattler, not Riley.

Now if Garcia, who was a borderline 5 star, comes in and lights it up in Gattis's offense we can say the issue was TVD and he was either a bad fit for the system or just had a mental collapse and got the QB yips. However, I think UM fans are going to be sorely disappointed when they see that Jake Garcia doesn't magically transform the offense. He may be marginally better but the offense will be still struggle to score.

And if/when both QBs - our ACC rookie of the year and near 5 star backup - flop in the offense, hopefully some of the Mario worshipers will finally wake up to the reality that he may have ruined a QBs career in a way that's almost unprecedented in cfb by his refusal to build an offense around the players he has, rather than the players he wishes he had.

I want to reiterate, I had high hopes for this season (less than 9 wins would be a massive failure), but I also knew that a horrible 1st season was possible with Cristobal because he wouldn't change his meat head approach no matter how poorly it suited the roster. Frankly I don't care about the season anymore, I care about recruiting now. If Mario still gets a top 7 class with his supposed "recruiting magic" , then finishing under .500 and missing a bowl game is embarrassing but ultimately irrelevant in the long run. However, if UM stinks this season and it results in recruits bailing, then it's pretty clear to me that we're f#cked because we're stuck with "unfrozen caveman football coach" for the next decade.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I havent gotten one response when I've asked this so I dont expect one from you. If your qbs accuracy and mechanics are off and he's not even throwing spirals. As a head coach and OC, why would you trust him to throw the ball in the redzone? The field is smaller, and with more defenders in a tight space. I mean whats the worst than could happen.......
As the head corch why would you continue to put him out there if he can’t execute in that position?

My point is this:
Last season he was a dude who could be trusted to sling it out of HIS OWN end zone and drive his team down the field (see Pitt game). Now he can’t be allowed to even try to throw it into the other team’s end zone.

He threw enough spirals vs aTm, so let’s not act like every throw was a mechanical disaster or a duck.
The issues are much deeper than just the Quarterback.
they are but quarterback is a big part of he problem. You can’t just blame the hc and oc, while the qb stinks up the joint.

As the head corch why would you continue to put him out there if he can’t execute in that position?
Being loyal to TVD to the detriment of the team. Coaches do it all the time. He may be hurt and they don’t want it to get out. Have we gotten an official release about Citizen’s injury?

Advertisement

they are but quarterback is a big part of he problem. You can’t just blame the hc and oc, while the qb stinks up the joint.

I didn't say just blame the HC and OC. This site (and honestly the world in general, but that's for another day) has a big problem with only seeing things in black and white. The reality is, the gray area is MUCH larger than the black and white. So it's not just TVD. It's everyone. The OL got their asses KICKED physically. TVD stunk and looked like he was high. The gameplan was god awful from the word "GO". The offense is poorly designed. The team was motivated about enough to take a nap. Everyone deserves blame. The defense was terrible. We can't keep anyone healthy. We play press man Cover 0 and let MTSU kids run right by us. That was a dreadful, uninspired, **** poor embarrassment of the highest magnitude from everyone involved.

So I'm not "just blaming" anyone. I'm literally blaming everyone. They all embarrassed themselves, their families, and the supporters of this program.

We've got 8 games left. All 8 are in the league. Nobody in this fanbase is going to say they have any confidence we do anything noteworthy with them...how could we with what we've seen. But the cool part is none of us have any say in how they go. The only people who do are in the athletic buildings right now. They gonna sack up and show a a backbone? Or they gonna pack it in and start their Christmas shopping? We'll see. But we're gonna line up 8 more times. Hopefully someone in that building has a semblance of balls and decides that, win lose or draw, they're not gonna sleepwalk through games anymore. We shall see.

I know that. But the school has said anything. I’m talking about the fact that injuries are a military secret under this staff and TVD may be hurt.

Oh. Yeah, I don’t know. I think if you say the word “injury” around here, you’re instantly killed. They just disappear you. But regardless, he’s out for the season. 100.0%.

Advertisement
I know that. But the school has said anything. I’m talking about the fact that injuries are a military secret under this staff and TVD may be hurt.
I personally think he is. Been to all home games, good close sideline view. His spirals, wobbly throws, poor throws - some can be attributed to mental, I guess, but a shoulder injury is just as likely IMO.

Advertisement
Back