Confirmed Bryan McClendon hired as Co-OC

Advertisement
I'm for free speech no doubt. This site is just so toxic and negative right now four games in is all I was getting at. :)
Yeah, they can keep burning everything for now. We’re trying to stay out of it mostly.

You’re a Coming to America fan. It’s like this - right now I’m washing lettuce. Soon I’ll be on fries. At some point order will need to be restored and I’ll be joined by a team of determined, no patience left Maude’s - smoking fools on the CIS grill…

96264CEF-1EDA-4B36-8309-2F51C58D71B2.gif

Yeah, they can keep burning everything for now. We’re trying to stay out of it mostly.

You’re a Coming to America fan. It’s like this - right now I’m washing lettuce. Soon I’ll be on fries. At some point order will need to be restored and I’ll be joined by a team of determined, no patience left Maude’s - smoking fools on the CIS grill…

View attachment 209902

One of my favorites.

Throwing 40 to 50 times usually only happen in a true air raid offense. Most spread teams don't throw it that many times, unless they're playing catch up on the scoreboard.
What you see from offenses today, most of the good ones, is they can attack all over the place. They put pressure on the defense and if you defend one way, they'll attack you another.

This offense isn't anything like those two schools you mentioned. We can do much better, but there's a reason the pro-style offense is going the way of the wishbone. You don't need a Jeudy, Waddle, or Cooper to be successful. It certainly helps, but you can do far more with less. We certainly could.
I see what you’re saying, but the only point I would make is this: I see a bunch of people in here praising Lashlee, and rightfully so, but they also forget how deplorable our running game was last year, and our O-Line was softer than Charmin. As the season goes on, and especially when you’re in close games in the 4th quarter, you need a power run game to lean on. It destroys the other team physically/psychologically and also milks the clock. I just want us to have a balance and to excel at both, but it seems like every year we’re either good at one or the other, but never both. So, so frustrating...

I see what you’re saying, but the only point I would make is this: I see a bunch of people in here praising Lashlee, and rightfully so, but they also forget how deplorable our running game was last year, and our O-Line was softer than Charmin. As the season goes on, and especially when you’re in close games in the 4th quarter, you need a power run game to lean on. It destroys the other team physically/psychologically and also milks the clock. I just want us to have a balance and to excel at both, but it seems like every year we’re either good at one or the other, but never both. So, so frustrating...

People also leave out that with Lashlee's one-dimensional offense Miami was still 2-4 out the gate and 7-5 to end the year—and that was with some miracle close game wins.

The way people are talking about Lashlee you'd have thought Miami went 10-2 last season and won the Coastal.

Soft o-line, no running game and guys like Rambo and Harley saving s TVD who had nothing to lose and was just airing it out like a video game.

Once the lights came on this year, the team was 0-0, expectations were high—TVD seemed to crack under the pressure and his warts were being exposed—the fan base quick to blame "quarterback killer" Mario, instead of admitting they might've bought fool's gold with Van Dyke—who arguably wouldn't have taken over for Deriq King if Jake Garcia was healthy.

Advertisement
Once the lights came on this year, the team was 0-0, expectations were high—TVD seemed to crack under the pressure and his warts were being exposed—the fan base quick to blame "quarterback killer" Mario, instead of admitting they might've bought fool's gold with Van Dyke—who arguably wouldn't have taken over for Deriq King if Jake Garcia was healthy.
Sorry, but those numbers TVD put up last year were real.

This new staff broke him. And now they have to figure out how to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

This new staff broke him. And now they have to figure out how to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.
Which ones were real? Pitt and NC State? or UNC and UVA? or was it FSU? He was all over the map as a starter last year. Finished strong, but he's got lots of different results.

He looks broken for sure...but who is the real Tyler Van Dyke?

Which ones were real? Pitt and NC State? or UNC and UVA? or was it FSU? He was all over the map as a starter last year. Finished strong, but he's got lots of different results.

He looks broken for sure...but who is the real Tyler Van Dyke?
These numbers. Notice how they look very, very different from what we’re seeing now. Not saying you’re doing this, but why are guys downplaying what he did last year? Why is it all of a sudden, “Yeah, but he had some stretches where he didn’t look great.” Come on. It’s night and day. The new staff broke him.

YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
*2020Miami (FL)ACCFRQB1020.000.00.0000.0
2021Miami (FL)ACCFRQB1020232462.329319.09.8256160.1

These numbers. Notice how they look very, very different from what we’re seeing now. Not saying you’re doing this, but why are guys downplaying what he did last year? Why is it all of a sudden, “Yeah, but he had some stretches where he didn’t look great.” Come on. It’s night and day. The new staff broke him.

I'm not downplaying it...but...his game-to-game performance was all over the map. End of the season, he had some lights out performances...but there were times he wasn't. He threw three INTs in a loss to UNC. 2 INTs in a loss to Florida State. Threw for under 60% comp% four times, including 44% versus UNC. He had lights out performances v. Pitt and NC State and Georgia Tech...and those were dog fights, if TVD had even one misstep (or one more) we may lose those games and he was as good as he ever was in those games...you saw that against Florida State in the game right after where we lost that dog fight when there was more mistakes.

The realization this year, is that he is more flawed than we thought. As D$ pointed out in the video...when you aren't the most technique driven player...when things aren't going right and there is nothing to go back to (back to the basics with mechanics, etc)...its tough to get back to being the guy you were. D$'s example with Dontrelle Willis was a good one.

I, like mostly everyone else, thought with a new year he would clean up his flaws...but he hasn't and here we are.

I'm not sure what to do with a guy like this at this point. I'd like to think playing UNC and having two weeks to prepare would fix what ails him, but idk. I guess we'll find out.

Advertisement
I'm not downplaying it...but...his game-to-game performance was all over the map. End of the season, he had some lights out performances...but there were times he wasn't. He threw three INTs in a loss to UNC. 2 INTs in a loss to Florida State. Threw for under 60% comp% four times, including 44% versus UNC. He had lights out performances v. Pitt and NC State and Georgia Tech...and those were dog fights, if TVD had even one misstep (or one more) we may lose those games and he was as good as he ever was in those games...you saw that against Florida State in the game right after where we lost that dog fight when there was more mistakes.

The realization this year, is that he is more flawed than we thought. As D$ pointed out in the video...when you aren't the most technique driven player...when things aren't going right and there is nothing to go back to (back to the basics with mechanics, etc)...its tough to get back to being the guy you were. D$'s example with Dontrelle Willis was a good one.

I, like mostly everyone else, thought with a new year he would clean up his flaws...but he hasn't and here we are.

I'm not sure what to do with a guy like this at this point. I'd like to think playing UNC and having two weeks to prepare would fix what ails him, but idk. I guess we'll find out.
I get all that. He was a first time starter pressed into action prematurely when King went down. He had some uneven performances.

That’s still a night and day comparison when you look at what we’re seeing now. Forget about MTSU. Think back to Texas A&M. The new staff wouldn’t even allow him to throw in the red zone vs aTm.

I get all that. He was a first time starter pressed into action prematurely when King went down. He had some uneven performances.

That’s still a night and day comparison when you look at what we’re seeing now. Forget about MTSU. Think back to Texas A&M. The new staff wouldn’t even allow him to throw in the red zone vs aTm.
My whole point is that TVD now has a full season of tape now...and in that full season...we got the best of the best...the absolute worst...and everything in between.

We now have no idea who this guy is.

Go look @ Shane Buechele's stats under Lashlee. Maybe Lashlees offense just makes a QB look like that and it doesn't make you a real R1 QB. Idk.

My whole point is that TVD now has a full season of tape now...and in that full season...we got the best of the best...the absolute worst...and everything in between.

We now have no idea who this guy is.

Go look @ Shane Buechele's stats under Lashlee. Maybe Lashlees offense just makes a QB look like that and it doesn't make you a real R1 QB. Idk.
But that’s my whole point. Last year he looked like that. Under the new staff this year he looks like this.

If the previous staff could get him to put up those numbers and performances, then this highly-paid, highly-experienced staff should be able to also, right? But it’s not happening.

Advertisement

I am trying to recall any time in the last 30 years where there was a QB that went from P5 conference rookie of the year winner to benched in a span of 4 games (where an injury wasn't involved). I honestly can't think of any.

Bbb
I dunno, I guess I’m in the minority but I still prefer the pro-style offense as opposed to throwing the ball all over the field 40-50 times a game. The problem is we don’t have the dudes to run this offense effectively. Where is our Jeudy, Cooper, Waddle, etc? Our receiving core is atrocious and has been for a very long time. Georgia’s 4th string TE is better than Mallory. Our O-Line has improved but still nowhere near what it needs to be. This offense works great at Georgia and Bama because they have the personnel to run it...we don’t.
Just because you don't have a pro style offense doesn't mean you throw it 40-50 times a game. You are conflating having a productive rushing attack with the pro style offense and the two are not necessarily mutually inclusive. You must realize that you can have a dynamic rushing attack in a spread offense.

2022 Rushing stats so far
1664483418541.png

1664483434431.png

Still plenty of season left, but we're not really running the ball any better this year despite the fact that 2 of our 3 games vs FBS competition so far have been against cupcakes.

Advertisement

Could also be teams finally have film to game plan for his flaws
A lot of qbs look good before teams have film on them

Yea
2022 Rushing stats so far
View attachment 209954

View attachment 209955

Still plenty of season left, but we're not really running the ball any better this year despite the fact that 2 of our 3 games vs FBS competition so far have been against cupcakes.
Yea, but to be fair we have a TON of injuries right now at RB. We started out the year running the ball really well, even had almost 200 yards against A&M. I have no explanation as to what happened this last game. Injuries aside, it looked like our O-Line didn’t even want to be out there. How you can look so good against one of the most talented D-Lines in the nation and then look so bad against Middle Tenn. is baffling.

I havent gotten one response when I've asked this so I dont expect one from you. If your qbs accuracy and mechanics are off and he's not even throwing spirals. As a head coach and OC, why would you trust him to throw the ball in the redzone? The field is smaller, and with more defenders in a tight space. I mean whats the worst than could happen.......

I havent gotten one response when I've asked this so I dont expect one from you. If your qbs accuracy and mechanics are off and he's not even throwing spirals. As a head coach and OC, why would you trust him to throw the ball in the redzone? The field is smaller, and with more defenders in a tight space. I mean whats the worst than could happen.......
My point is this:
Last season he was a dude who could be trusted to sling it out of HIS OWN end zone and drive his team down the field (see Pitt game). Now he can’t be allowed to even try to throw it into the other team’s end zone.

He threw enough spirals vs aTm, so let’s not act like every throw was a mechanical disaster or a duck.

Advertisement
Back