Bruce Brown...signs point to him coming back

tcgrad1014

All-ACC
The one and done chatter is picking up. Typically when there's smoke there's fire with these things. It would be a **** shame if he leaves because this is a final 4 caliber team next season with him.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Obviously, we all want him to stay and we're biased (toward staying).

Even though it is difficult to do, let's ignore his play for a few moments.

[Against him leaving]

This year is a deep draft especially at guard. Look at who you MAY have:

PG/SG: Fultz
PG: Ball
PG: Smith Jr.
PG/SG: Monk
PG: Ntilikina
PG: Fox
----------------------- These are all likely lottery picks
SG: Kennard
SG: Ferguson
SG: Hart
PG: Morris
PG: Evans
SG: Mitchell
SG: Allen

I could see about 10 going in the first round. I am not saying how he compares to the above. I am not saying all of the above will leave either. I am just saying this is a very talented and deep draft.

[For him leaving] I think people make too big of a deal about it but he is turning 21 in August. Currently at 20, he is 1 year older than the average freshman. So if this is a big deal for him, it may push him to leave faster.

-------------------------

Now about Brown and his play. The kid is a tremendous athlete and I think we hardly scratched the surface. He certainly would benefit from another year developing his jump shot, passing the ball and finishing around the rim. With that said, I can totally see a team like OKC or San Antonio wanting a kid like him. The kid is pretty close to first round talent right now with his athleticism and wing span.

If the kid has a very strong ACCT and NCAAT, I would put it at a coin flip.

Considering the talent in the ACC, considering Duke may have X one and done players this year, I am sure the scouts saw a lot yesterday.

Bruce would go first round if he came out, but he could go top 5 if he came back imo.

You could be talking the difference in 15-20 million over his rookie contract over 4 years.

Last edited:
The fact that he had his most impressive games against UNC and Duke says a lot. He more than held his own against a bunch of guys who will be in the league next year.

Advertisement
Slightly off topic, but as great as Brown has been, Lonnie Walker may be even better. L is landing elite talent.

If he leaves, so be it. He gave us a tremendous season. With the amount of freshman talent that comes into college basketball every season, it's not like staying for another year will boost him up to a top-5 pick. Maybe he could get into the lottery by coming back... Maybe.

It also won't hurt our recruiting efforts if he leaves. Guys like Vernon Carey and Koprivica will see that they can come to Miami and boost/solidify their stock in one year's time to make the leap to the NBA.

Advertisement
Hyde: After Duke upset, is UM's Brown a one-and-done player? | Commentary - Sun Sentinel

When Jim Larrañaga recruited Bruce Brown, it went nowhere. Larrañaga called. Brown didn’t answer. Larrañaga texted. Brown didn’t answer. This continued for months until Brown was scratched off Miami’s wish list.

Then Larrañaga’s phone rang.

“Are you coming to see me?” Brown asked.

“Why?” Larrañaga said. “Bruce, you never returned a call or text.”

“That’s not important,” Brown said.

Here’s what was important Saturday: Brown scored 25 points in Miami’s 55-50 win against No. 10 Duke. Brown was the one player Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski couldn’t contain.

What was important is Brown was the best player on the court in a nationally televised game against possibly four one-and-done Duke freshmen, if you believe the early NBA mock drafts.

So the question Saturday wasn’t if Miami is in the NCAA Tournament. That’s decided. They’re not only in, they’re rising. The question that could make Miami fans groan is whether Brown has emerged as Miami’s first one-and-done possibility.

He’s 6-5. He’s a point guard. He runs the offense, attacks the defense, rebounds, passes and, when Miami needed a basket to hold off Duke, typically came up with the play. Is he ready for the NBA? Is any freshman?

This is all you need to know about his game: Miami led 39-32 in the second half when Brown went to the bench for a rest. The rest lasted 84 seconds. Duke had cut Miami’s lead to 39-38.

Back came Brown to assist on a Ja’Quan Newton lay-up. Then he cut back-door for a dunk to stretch Miami’s lead to 43-39. Then he waded through traffic to get a defensive rebound. It was Senior Night at Miami, but the freshman put his signature on the day.

“He scored half their points,” said Krzyzewski, who was only rounding up. “They had a great game, and he scored the most for them. And the defense wasn’t bad. He made tough plays.”

Krzyzewski pointed out Duke was hurting with Grayson Allen held out with an ankle injury and forward Amile Jefferson struggling through a foot problem. That’s valid. As was Krzyzewski’s next comment.

“The most important games will be played in a couple of weeks,” he said. “We’re going to be there. Wherever there is, we’re there. We’ll be one of those teams that start 0-0.

“There are three times in the year you start 0-0. The start of the season. The start of conference play. And the start of the [NCAA Tournament]. We’ll be one of those teams in it. Miami will be one of them, too.”

Part of the intrigue to Saturday remains Duke is college basketball royalty and Miami isn’t. It’s building. It’s laying a foundation. It’s somehow still not ranked this year despite having the portfolio to merit that.

Beating ranked Virginia and Duke in the same week is a nice step for this team. Consecutive trips to the tournament would be a progressive step for this program.

What would having a one-and-done player mean? This is a college basketball conundrum. Krzyzewski wrestled with its minimalist statement on his game until finally accepting it.

Miami never had a player enter the conversation until Brown. Shane Larkin was a sophomore when he rocketed into the NBA discussion. Brown is coming on as his first year closes. He had 30 points against North Carolina. Now this day against Duke.

“I’ve been playing in big-time games my whole life in AAU and high school,” he said. “I play the same way I play every game.”

A year ago, Brown did visit Larrañaga on a recruiting trip. It turned out he hadn’t returned any early messages from any coach recruiting him. And by Saturday he was the central part of Miami’s upset of Duke.

“I think this game is pretty much indicative of games in our conference,” Krzyzewski said. “A couple of plays here or there. It was a performance by Brown. Something that separates you like that is all you need.”

The biggest games remain. But the big question is moving into the realm of possibility: Could Brown be Miami’s first one-and-done freshman?

Is there any smoke coming from Brown himself? Or any concrete projections on how highly he might be drafted? This would be a tough year to come out early if you don't know your a lottery pick. Really deep draft class.

Hyde: After Duke upset, is UM's Brown a one-and-done player? | Commentary - Sun Sentinel

When Jim Larrañaga recruited Bruce Brown, it went nowhere. Larrañaga called. Brown didn’t answer. Larrañaga texted. Brown didn’t answer. This continued for months until Brown was scratched off Miami’s wish list.

Then Larrañaga’s phone rang.

“Are you coming to see me?” Brown asked.

“Why?” Larrañaga said. “Bruce, you never returned a call or text.”

“That’s not important,” Brown said.

Here’s what was important Saturday: Brown scored 25 points in Miami’s 55-50 win against No. 10 Duke. Brown was the one player Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski couldn’t contain.

What was important is Brown was the best player on the court in a nationally televised game against possibly four one-and-done Duke freshmen, if you believe the early NBA mock drafts.

So the question Saturday wasn’t if Miami is in the NCAA Tournament. That’s decided. They’re not only in, they’re rising. The question that could make Miami fans groan is whether Brown has emerged as Miami’s first one-and-done possibility.

He’s 6-5. He’s a point guard. He runs the offense, attacks the defense, rebounds, passes and, when Miami needed a basket to hold off Duke, typically came up with the play. Is he ready for the NBA? Is any freshman?

This is all you need to know about his game: Miami led 39-32 in the second half when Brown went to the bench for a rest. The rest lasted 84 seconds. Duke had cut Miami’s lead to 39-38.

Back came Brown to assist on a Ja’Quan Newton lay-up. Then he cut back-door for a dunk to stretch Miami’s lead to 43-39. Then he waded through traffic to get a defensive rebound. It was Senior Night at Miami, but the freshman put his signature on the day.

“He scored half their points,” said Krzyzewski, who was only rounding up. “They had a great game, and he scored the most for them. And the defense wasn’t bad. He made tough plays.”

Krzyzewski pointed out Duke was hurting with Grayson Allen held out with an ankle injury and forward Amile Jefferson struggling through a foot problem. That’s valid. As was Krzyzewski’s next comment.

“The most important games will be played in a couple of weeks,” he said. “We’re going to be there. Wherever there is, we’re there. We’ll be one of those teams that start 0-0.

“There are three times in the year you start 0-0. The start of the season. The start of conference play. And the start of the [NCAA Tournament]. We’ll be one of those teams in it. Miami will be one of them, too.”

Part of the intrigue to Saturday remains Duke is college basketball royalty and Miami isn’t. It’s building. It’s laying a foundation. It’s somehow still not ranked this year despite having the portfolio to merit that.

Beating ranked Virginia and Duke in the same week is a nice step for this team. Consecutive trips to the tournament would be a progressive step for this program.

What would having a one-and-done player mean? This is a college basketball conundrum. Krzyzewski wrestled with its minimalist statement on his game until finally accepting it.

Miami never had a player enter the conversation until Brown. Shane Larkin was a sophomore when he rocketed into the NBA discussion. Brown is coming on as his first year closes. He had 30 points against North Carolina. Now this day against Duke.

“I’ve been playing in big-time games my whole life in AAU and high school,” he said. “I play the same way I play every game.”

A year ago, Brown did visit Larrañaga on a recruiting trip. It turned out he hadn’t returned any early messages from any coach recruiting him. And by Saturday he was the central part of Miami’s upset of Duke.

“I think this game is pretty much indicative of games in our conference,” Krzyzewski said. “A couple of plays here or there. It was a performance by Brown. Something that separates you like that is all you need.”

The biggest games remain. But the big question is moving into the realm of possibility: Could Brown be Miami’s first one-and-done freshman?

Great read, thanks for posting. If we're being honest, he will probably go, especially if he's getting a first round grade. However, if he wants to improve his stock considerably, then he will come back.

Advertisement
No sense worrying about it.
Similar to our DLine coach, I would rather spend my energy enjoying them while they are here and worry about
that other stuff if/when it happens.

I haven't seen a mock draft that even has him in the draft. CBS has a list of the top 75 prospects and he's not listed. Obviously that doesn't mean he won't go or won't get drafted, but.....

The kid has not said a word to anyone about this, he's 100% focused on helping us win this year. I'm sure there will be discussions post-season.
When I ran into a scout for the Magic in November and asked him which Miami guys are NBA material he quickly said Huell has all the tools but needs to develop. I asked him what about Brown and he replied he needs to become a point guard first. I don't think he's there yet but it won't be long. We make a deep run on his back in the ACC and NCAA tourneys his stock could soar.

Advertisement
Playing in a loaded lineup next year would only help his stock.

Can't see him going this year.

The kid has not said a word to anyone about this, he's 100% focused on helping us win this year. I'm sure there will be discussions post-season.
When I ran into a scout for the Magic in November and asked him which Miami guys are NBA material he quickly said Huell has all the tools but needs to develop. I asked him what about Brown and he replied he needs to become a point guard first. I don't think he's there yet but it won't be long. We make a deep run on his back in the ACC and NCAA tourneys his stock could soar.

It doesn't surprise me that Brown wasn't on NBA radars in November. He is now.

Advertisement
Back