Bruce Brown...signs point to him coming back

I'd be surprised if Shane Larkin was in any mock drafts at this point of his sophomore season.

Which makes for a good recruiting pitch for this program: "We are sending (recruiting) under-the-radar kids to the NBA after a couple
of years".
It is what it is - may as well sell it.

Advertisement
Shane was a completely different animal. He wasn't going to get taller or longer, he had a superb year and he had to strike while the iron was hot. Bruce is a legitimate lottery pick if he comes back and continues to get better.

For those that don't follow basketball, the NBA Draft is a far different animal than the NFL version. If you aren't drafted in the lottery, you are pretty much doomed, outside of a few exceptions here and there. Bruce Brown would be a late first round pick at best, merely because there are so many other guys with a world of potential that will be coming out, and there are also the experienced guys with legit talent that will be taken too. Once you include the Euros that always seem to come out late in the process, and you get a board that wouldn't be friendly to Brown. He can come back and improve his stock with another big year, playing with a real PG. Any agent that would tell him different should be fired on the spot, for they don't have a **** clue how the draft works.

Advertisement
For those that don't follow basketball, the NBA Draft is a far different animal than the NFL version. If you aren't drafted in the lottery, you are pretty much doomed, outside of a few exceptions here and there. Bruce Brown would be a late first round pick at best, merely because there are so many other guys with a world of potential that will be coming out, and there are also the experienced guys with legit talent that will be taken too. Once you include the Euros that always seem to come out late in the process, and you get a board that wouldn't be friendly to Brown. He can come back and improve his stock with another big year, playing with a real PG. Any agent that would tell him different should be fired on the spot, for they don't have a **** clue how the draft works.

You're right about mostly everything, but it's not like next year's draft board is going to be much friendlier. There will be another stud class of freshmen and other EURO guys. Brown could become a better player, but I think NBA scouts already have a pretty good idea of his potential. Maybe his stock improves, but I honestly doubt him coming back will result in him being a lottery pick.

Also coming back and playing with a real PG is a dumb argument. When Brown gets into the NBA his role will either be as a PG or just a defensive stopper at the 2 like Avery Bradley. Brown is going to want to be the real PG next season if he comes back.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if Shane Larkin was in any mock drafts at this point of his sophomore season.

And he wasn't a lottery pick, and was out of the league in 3 years

He had a guaranteed deal and then he opted out (risky). If he didn't opt out, he would still be under contract. I think there is a chance he will be back next year as he is doing well in Spain.

He had a guaranteed deal and then he opted out (risky). If he didn't opt out, he would still be under contract. I think there is a chance he will be back next year as he is doing well in Spain.

Yeah he was averaging 20+ minutes a game. He'll be back if he wants. There was an article that said he wanted to be a bigger contributor than he was in the NBA. Money might bring him back.

Advertisement
Doesn't make sense, unless he is a lottery pick lock. It was Sheldon's team last year. It's Davon's team this year. It's clearly Bruce's team next year.

Yeah he was averaging 20+ minutes a game. He'll be back if he wants. There was an article that said he wanted to be a bigger contributor than he was in the NBA. Money might bring him back.

There is an article about it here. He took a chance and it didn't work out.

Shane Larkin: “It has not been the easiest path for me” | HoopsHype

Shane Larkin: No regrets about opting out of Brooklyn Nets deal - NetsDaily

He took a chance and it didn't work out. He had a guaranteed deal and...

Advertisement

There is an article about it here. He took a chance and it didn't work out.

Shane Larkin: “It has not been the easiest path for me” | HoopsHype

Shane Larkin: No regrets about opting out of Brooklyn Nets deal - NetsDaily

He took a chance and it didn't work out. He had a guaranteed deal and...

Was in a tough spot, Brooklyn wasn't going to play him much this year, his agent said opt out, you'll sign up for a bigger deal elsewhere as teams have to spend money left under their caps. Well other guards started getting deals and Shane was left standing when the music stopped. His agent didn't help him and Shane fired him. Going to Spain was a good move for his development, he starts and like you said is playing well. If a team needs a backup PG they may come calling.

Advertisement

You're right about mostly everything, but it's not like next year's draft board is going to be much friendlier. There will be another stud class of freshmen and other EURO guys. Brown could become a better player, but I think NBA scouts already have a pretty good idea of his potential. Maybe his stock improves, but I honestly doubt him coming back will result in him being a lottery pick.

Also coming back and playing with a real PG is a dumb argument. When Brown gets into the NBA his role will either be as a PG or just a defensive stopper at the 2 like Avery Bradley. Brown is going to want to be the real PG next season if he comes back.

The NBA draft isn't so different than the NFL draft in that they both are drafting primarily on potential. It doesn't take the most keen judge of basketball talent to see that while he isn't putting it all together every game, Brown has a very high ceiling. I agree that if he isn't a lottery pick this year, he probably won't he a lottery pick next year or the year after either. I think if he hears he's a first round lock, he's going pro.

The NBA draft isn't so different than the NFL draft in that they both are drafting primarily on potential. It doesn't take the most keen judge of basketball talent to see that while he isn't putting it all together every game, Brown has a very high ceiling. I agree that if he isn't a lottery pick this year, he probably won't he a lottery pick next year or the year after either. I think if he hears he's a first round lock, he's going pro.

Agreed.

We all want him to stay, but it will help with recruiting immensely if we are perceived as being able to turn out NBA players after their freshman year.

While I understand the idea that it might help recruiting, but we already got Huell who wanted to be a 1 and one, we got Brown who might be a 1 and done, we got Walker who might be a 1 and done, some think we're the favorite for Carey who looks to be a 1 and done. I, for one, hope Brown stays and **** the "bump" in recruiting.

Advertisement
Back