Broward HS Football primer - Week 1

View as article

Cameron Underwood

Sophomore
Hey, I'm back. I've been hearing that you guys missed me. Well, rather, you missed the Recruit Notebook. That's coming back. In a BIG way. Trust me. But, that's for another day.

Today, and every Friday during the HS football season, I'll give you a snapshot of what's happening in Broward County, with games to look at, and players to watch. And here we go

Miami Northwestern vs St Thomas Aquinas, Saturday, 7:30pm, SunLife Stadium
The analogy I've used when talking about this game is Mayweather-Pacquiao. This was a game that many people (myself included) have wanted to see happen for YEARS. I fear, sadly, that the days of this being a marquee matchup (based on the play on the field, not the names of the teams) may be past.

Northwestern struggled mightily on offense in their 10-7 loss to Palm Beach Central in their kickoff classic. The defense, led by 2014 Cane commits Michael Smith and Ryan Mayes played strong, but the offense couldn't find any rhythm. That will need to change in a hurry.

St. Thomas Aquinas, the reigning 7A State Champions, are a nationally ranked team, and would like to pick up in 2013 where they left off in 2012. Always stacked with talent, from 2014 WR Corey Holmes to 2015 WR Devante Peete to 2014 RB Madre London to 2014 DL Anthony Moten, the Raiders are a team that can hurt you in many ways. The key here will be how their new Quarterback, Western transfer Wade Freebeck handles the pressure he'll see in this game.

This figures to be one of the most attended games of the year. I'm sure all of Dade county will be watching and supporting "The West" in this one. Even so, the Raiders should win this won comfortably.

Pick: St. Thomas

Miami Central at American Heritage, Friday, 7:30pm, American Heritage
Many are billing this game as "The battle of the backs", and with good reason. Central's Dalvin Cook and Joe Yearby and American Heritage's Sony Michel are all 5 star talents who many have known about for years, and who figure to play prominent roles on their collegiate teams as freshmen next year.

But, for this game, the question is this: Can American Heritage keep up with Central? In the kickoff classic vs. Cypress Bay, Heritage was able to score points via the big play. Isaiah McKenzie is an absolute ROCKET, and he tormented the Lightning defense, and had, in my estimation, THE PLAY of the weekend. The aforementioned Michel also scored a long touchdown, and showed a variety of skills that have him rated, by some, as the top RB in the country. QB Torrance Gibson's play will be key.

For Central, they humbled a very good Dwyer team in their kickoff classic, scoring 44 points in the process. Their defense stopped the run well, but there were holes in the secondary. Heritage's passing game isn't the strongest around, but Central would be advised to fix those coverage concerns.

On offense, Central has a wealth of talent. In addition to Cook and Yearby, 2015 WR DeVante Phillips is a playmaker who scored twice in the opener, and dropped another sure touchdown. There are more weapons than those 3, of course, but with a top 3 of their caliber, Central can easily separate themselves from most teams.

The end of the story is this: Miami Central is ranked the #1 team in the country (in about half the polls) and American Heritage isn't. I don't see the Patriots keeping up with the Rockets here.

Pick: Miami Central

University School at Taravella, Friday, 7:00pm at Coral Spring HS
The first 2 games had long write-ups. This one? Not so much.

U-School is stacked with talent, especially on offense. New QB Sean White, RB Jordan Scarlett WRs Sam Bruce, Emmanuel Soto and Chris Taylor are as potent a skill position group as you'll find a the HS level.

For Taravella, RB Jawanza Evans-Morris is the star. He's the focal point of coach Dan Marguriet's ball control offense. It will be tough for him to find space against the Suns' defense, led by Richard Yeargin III and Brandon Boyce up front.

Pick: U-School. Big.

Miramar at South Plantation, Friday, 7:00pm at South Plantation HS
For South Plantation, this season will be a struggle. Having lost their 2 best (only?) players, QB John Franklin and RB Alex Collins (have you heard of him?), the Paladins are a team without elite talent or adequate size. They lost their kickoff classic to a decent but not great Everglades team 39-6. That isn't a good sign.

For Miramar, this season is about re-establishing dominance. The offense struggled mightily last year, and needs to bounce back. QBs Gernald Hawkins and Nick Jeanty bring different things to the table, but are both capable of putting points on the board. The RB position is arguably the most stacked in South Florida outside of Miami Central with Cameron Rigby, Eric Pittman, Khalil Lewis, and Alex Anderson at the position. Anderson, just a junior, may be the best player of the bunch.

On Defense, the Darkside looks to continue their excellence. LBs Kaywon Davis, David Lee, and Ryan Samuels are the heart and soul of the defense, with DBs Tyrek Cole, Josmar Diaz-Martinez, Andre Godfrey, and Jeff Hill Jr. providing solid if not spectacular coverage.

This has been a first round playoff matchup the past 2 years, with Miramar winning both of those games. Miramar was clearly the more talented team in the past, and that was when South Plantation had Collins and Franklin. This one could get ugly. Quick.

Pick: Miramar. BIG.

Northeast at Deerfield Beach, Friday, 7:00pm at Deerfield Beach HS
Deerfield Beach could be one of the surprises in Broward county. Led by UM commit Brandon Powell, the Bucks have rebuilt their program after a few down years. Also, watch out for 2015 DE Jason Strowbridge, a 6'4" 250lb beast. This is the same school where Jason Pierre-Paul of the Giants starred. Not saying Strowbridge is on JPP's level yet, but this is a school that has produced quality at that position.

Northeast was competitive over the last 3 years because of one player, WR Stacy Coley, and he's in college at UM now. I don't see where the HS Hurricanes can find enough points to win here.

Pick: Deerfield Beach

Other Games

Homested at Boyd Anderson, Friday, 7:00pm at Boyd Anderson HS
Pick: Homestead

Blanche Ely at Lithonia King, Saturday, 5:15pm at Litonia (GA) King HS
Pick: Lithonia King

Plantation at Dillard, Friday, 7:00pm at Dillard HS
Pick: Plantation

Monarch at Coconut Creek, Friday, 7:00pm at Coconut Creek HS
Pick: Coconut Creek in an upset.

Hallandale at McArthur, Friday, 7:00pm at McArthur HS
Pick: Hallandale

Advertisement
Excellent feature.

MNW/STA might get really ugly. The Bulls have a long way to go on offense.

Excited to see Mike smith vs STA LT Ryan Crozier. His name comes up on the board once in a while, some people think he might be the most underrated player in the county. Another match up to look out for is that Central O-line against the interior D-line of Heritage featuring DTs Edgar Cerenord and Justin Sibole two D1 prospects.

Advertisement
Excellent feature.

What's happened to MNW? I know the coaching change, but are their kids now going to play for a different high school?

Excellent feature.

What's happened to MNW? I know the coaching change, but are their kids now going to play for a different high school?

Pretty sure their kids are going other places, especially with Central being the hot school. They did get the transfer from Krop but I am sure kids are deciding to go to Central or BTW in the last couple years. Its a cycle really, NW has too many ties to community for them to be down too long, atleast you would think.

Even when they had those great teams from 07-08, Aldarius transferred from Jackson, Streeter attended Turner Tech, Washington came over from Edison sr year, I think Jacory was from North Dade, etc. You get the point.

Advertisement
Good **** Cam. Can't get this stuff on the pay for info sites.

What can you tell me about Miramar OL Leeward Brown?

This is pure speculation, but I could see Luke taking over the team next year. Field is going to get a lot of heat if MNW gets embarrassed and Luke's D (along with Darius Tice) carried this team last year.

Advertisement
I would love to bust Cam's balls for taking so long in between posts, but his posts are just too **** good to do so.

Really jams me up.

Has there ever been a HS game with three backs as good as SM/JY/DC all in one game?

Advertisement
Has there ever been a HS game with three backs as good as SM/JY/DC all in one game?

I dont know but its the reason I am seriously contemplating going to that game for the first half then racing to sun life to watch the rest of canes game...

If only they made the kickoff at 7, it would of been a much easier choice. 7:30 kickoff is too close with UM kicking off at 8:10, but with TV breaks I probably would only miss 1st qtr...

I dont know but its the reason I am seriously contemplating going to that game for the first half then racing to sun life to watch the rest of canes game...

If only they made the kickoff at 7, it would of been a much easier choice. 7:30 kickoff is too close with UM kicking off at 8:10, but with TV breaks I probably would only miss 1st qtr...

What was our average game time last year? 4.5 hours?

I'd be surprised if STA doesn't pound MNW. Luke is a terrible DC and all he's gonna do is line-up in 'man' all **** day. It's gonna come down to whether STA's WR's can gain any separation or not. STA's QB is gonna just shred MNW's defense if STA's WR's can get off. I also invision STA running the ball down MNW's throat. If MNW stays in 'man' then spread them out, get those defenders out of the box and run the ball.

Though I'm rooting for Heritage, I think Central might be a little too much for them. They seem to have a pretty good DC over there, and a great D-line coach, so let's see if they can really earn their paycheck in this game. It's gonna be tough to stop Central's 2-headed monster. They're gonna need to get off blocks and get all 11 hats to the ball.

Advertisement
Back