Bring back One player that was kicked out

Advertisement
Kelly was a HUGE recruiting win when we got him.

Had great athleticism. Was just too helper skelter with the ball trying to force big plays.

If he could have settled down, protected the ball, and ran the offense better those offenses would be even more dynamic.
If he could hit the broad side of a Bubba Franks he'd have been a good one. His accuracy would just disappear for long stretches.

Advertisement
That and more...
Man, I was screaming back then about how we'd be special if we had a QB that could simply hit the targets running wide open. A QB that could see the field and make the "easy" throws. They didn't have to be super athletic, or have a cannon for an arm, but they did have to be able to hit Bubba Franks, who was one of the larger targets in the country.

Man, I was screaming back then about how we'd be special if we had a QB that could simply hit the targets running wide open. A QB that could see the field and make the "easy" throws. They didn't have to be super athletic, or have a cannon for an arm, but they did have to be able to hit Bubba Franks, who was one of the larger targets in the country.
I wish Covington had 1 more yr in 98...

Advertisement
What makes you say that if Kenny was more accurate. Not saying you are right or wrong. I love to hear stories and info about Kenny.

Where you around when during the short time Antwain Joyce was at Miami?
Dorsey was taking the starting job from Kenny regardless of injury....Even if Kenny doesn't get hurt in 99....Dorsey is still gonna start in 2000...and KK knew that....hence him leaving UM....

Advertisement
Dorsey was taking the starting job from Kenny regardless of injury....Even if Kenny doesn't get hurt in 99....Dorsey is still gonna start in 2000...and KK knew that....hence him leaving UM....
I heard that was part of why he left. That Butch told him Dorsey would be starting in 2000 so he left. Also heard Butch told Kenny if he left to play in the minors with the Rays and missed summer workouts again, not to come back.

Last edited:
I heard that was part of why he left. That Butch told him Dorsey would be starting in 2000 so he left. Also heard Butch told Kenny if he left to spring training with the Rays and missed workouts again, not to come back.
I think there was a combination of things going on at that time. Kelly being inaccurate stalling the O, Dorsey lighting it up when he started the last 3 games, Kelly's baseball career... There was writing all over every wall when it came to KK's future as the starting QB here.

I remember at the time people were saying, "Yeah, Dorsey looked great against three scrub teams!" Yeah, but he looked better against those teams than Kelly would have, and that was obvious to everyone close to the program.

The one line that summed up KK's time as QB... When Franks was drafted by Green Bay, he made a comment along the lines of, "At least now I'll have a QB that can get me the ball." Yeah, there was some serious frustration regarding the QB play. Kelly being a part time baseball player made it easy to say his heart wasn't 100% with the football team. That may or may not be true, and I will never say what is in someone else's heart, but the optics just weren't good. Every other guy on O was in 100%, and gave their max effort every game. The appearance of a player not being all in was bad. Even if it wasn't true, it could be seen that way.

It was time for a change going into 2000.

I heard that was part of why he left. That Butch told him Dorsey would be starting in 2000 so he left. Also heard Butch told Kenny if he left to play in the minors with the Rays and missed summer workouts again, not to come back.
It's true...

Advertisement
If he could hit the broad side of a Bubba Franks he'd have been a good one. His accuracy would just disappear for long stretches.

His mechanics were all over the place and he tried to play hero ball a lot.

He thought he could continue to be the multi sport phenom like he had always been.

Quarterback is too tough for that. It requires complete focus past the high school level. If he had given up baseball, he would have had a chance to be a reliable quarterback. That muscle memory has to be completely locked in to succeed at game speed. Spending your summers on the diamong won’t get you where you need to be in the pocket.

Advertisement
Back