Brief thoughts on Charlie Partridge

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
I posted this in another thread, but since most of the DL coach talk is about Patrick I figured I'd start a discussion on CP. Partridge intrigues me in that in addition to being a known recruiting commodity in Florida he's had experience as a head coach (FAU), defensive coordinator (Wisconsin, though he was "co-coordinator" there with Kevin Ash), and special teams coach (Pitt and Wisky.) He was also Associate Head Coach at both Wisconsin and Arkansas. He could help out in a number of ways here.

Advertisement
Rocker is my #1 but I think he'd be hard to get since he just took that UT gig.

I looked up his resume yesterday and it is pretty good. His last contract was signed in 02/2017 if my memory serves me correct according to the wiki page. I could see him looking for a DC position next though too.

I looked up his resume yesterday and it is pretty good. His last contract was signed in 02/2017 if my memory serves me correct according to the wiki page. I could see him looking for a DC position next though too.

Really depends on if he's looking to get back to being a head coach again. I'd imagine we'd have to give him that same "Assistant Head Coach" title that we gave Kul in order to keep him a few years.

Advertisement

And that may be available here depending on how Diaz does.

I really hope will be KP or him and no someone unproven. Experienced and well-known coaches with SoFla ties. Perfect fit.

Advertisement
I think we start with Patrick, Partridge, Rocker, etc. and make our best offers. If they all turn us down I think we look at somebody who's had success at a smaller school. Stefan mentioned Kenny Holmes in the recent podcast (but we both agree it might be a bit early for him to make that jump.) Maybe a guy like Mark Ivey at App. State?

I like the idea of hiring assistants who have coordinator/HC experience and have coached a number of positions. Shows that they know how the game works and can help some of our greenhorns on staff. Plus it shows they've already built some relationships in coaching circles and can assist with staff turnover down the line as well.

didn't Partridge show up a while back for a UM spring practice after he was fired from FAU?

Advertisement
Advertisement
I want a guy that's excellent at the vacant job description, defensive line coach, developing defensive line players, and excellent defensive line recruiter and someone that is a team player and that works well with others, including coaches.

The rest is just fluff and nonsense.

If you don’t meet above qualifications there’s a problem.

And while there’s no denying Kul was an excellent d-line coach, his recruiting was apparently lacking, and I get the sense he was not much of a team player at all, but off kind of doing his own thing most of the time from bits and pieces I’ve read and picked up here and there. No inside info, just a sense.

Who was the DL coach when Manny was at La Tech and Miss State? Manny likes to go with his guys (see Patke and Banda)....dont be surprised if its someone from those staffs

I'm all for KP becoming the DL coach here, but if you take the names off the resume, Partridge would bring more to the table, and can accomplish the same things KP could on the recruiting trail. Can't go wrong with either one, but having an additional person that has experience scheming a defense from game to game can only help! He's only like 44. The problem we may run into is that, he'll be up for a DC position in a year or two, and we could be back to square one, while burning ties with KP. KP would be here longer, but Partridge might get quicker results, but Richt makes 4 milli a year, so he gets paid to make the tough decisions.

Advertisement
Back