Brian Balom SR HL

Advertisement
Actually does look a little like rob knowles in the way that they play. He is however more athletic. 2 years of development seems to be the mo for manny anyways as you can see by the way he willingly redshirts players so not a bad take at all.

I don't see the Rob Knowles comps at all. HighSeas' breakdown reads a lot like what I wrote to D$ via text a bit ago. Came here now and saw this convo. Some of you are underrating how important it is for a Safety to have clean steps and good feet. In our defense, it's critical. Kid needs to hit the roids, but he's likely a 6' 195 Safety by the time we need him in the rotation.
Those things can be taught. Where's the explosiveness? Nothing pops off the screen with this guy. This is a meh take. He should be the third safety in a deep class with extra scholarships. As it stands he's our best safety take. I consider Washington a striker/LB more than an actual safety.

Advertisement
Keshawn Washington is the Robert Knowles of this class, he's the spitting image of him as a player.

Balom is a lot more gifted than Knowles was coming out of Edison.

Also Balom is a late bloomer, he didn't really start until his Junior year in HS so he's still raw at playing Safety, but he fits exactly what Diaz/Banda look for in a SS, straight line thumper that is always getting to the ball.

He reminds me of a poor man's Chamarri Conner.

Advertisement
Keshawn Washington is the Robert Knowles of this class, he's the spitting image of him as a player.

Balom is a lot more gifted than Knowles was coming out of Edison.

Also Balom is a late bloomer, he didn't really start until his Junior year in HS so he's still raw at playing Safety, but he fits exactly what Diaz/Banda look for in a SS, straight line thumper that is always getting to the ball.

He reminds me of a poor man's Chamarri Conner.

If Francois doesn’t come here there’s no sense in taking Washington. Very underwhelming prospect and I would rather take a guy that’s still blossoming like Gabe Taylor with elite athleticism

Those things can be taught. Where's the explosiveness? Nothing pops off the screen with this guy. This is a meh take. He should be the third safety in a deep class with extra scholarships. As it stands he's our best safety take. I consider Washington a striker/LB more than an actual safety.

Meh. There are NFL safeties who cover grass in zone, take poor angles and generally don't know what they're doing. Awareness and sound positioning is harder to find with safeties than explosiveness nowadays.

his athletic profile is closer to jaquan than knowles.
The Jaquan Johnson comparison is spot on. The kid looks well positioned, will come up and hit and knows when to go for the receiver and when to go for the ball. I’d love another JJ type player.

Advertisement
Some of that "feet" skill-building has a ceiling. Seen Safeties with incredible athleticism never come around on their steps. It's only a HL reel, but he also flashed decent recognition. On one play he ran over the slot, allowed the release and played a pattern out of the flat.

Advertisement
I assume the staff likes him for the same reasons why they like Knowles. His zone instincts look good as he seems to have a feel for reading route concepts and QB's eyes. His footwork and angles are very sound and efficient. His tackling is inconsistent but more good than bad in those highlights. He looks like a guy who should be a trustworthy rotational safety by year 2 (after some physical development).

I'm not excited about his athletic traits but you don't need dynamic athleticism to be a functional safety. This is a high floor low upside prospect imo.

He is exactly what you wrote. Played against him this year...he's good at diagnosing plays and coverages. That to be added with solid to good measurables and athletic ability its a no brainer.

Plus hes a Miramar kid who will be tough and not back down on competition from he enrolls here

Advertisement
Back