Brian Balom Safety, Miramar

Advertisement
Love the pickup.

Balom has all the right characteristics to succeed at a high level in a Manny Diaz defense. He's a midfielder who eat up a lot of space and can be counted on to make the open field tackles. Technically sound and has a nose for the ball. Needs to work on his hips and phone-booth agility because he's never challenged to play man, only cover deep on his highlights.

Balom will be an excellent complement to Francois. And you just don't let local kids like this get away.

I'm very surprised that this kid was not a hot name not just for us but for other schools. if he keeps it up would not shock me if the big boys with duffel bags come looking for him.

I'm very impressed at his tape. He is a sure tackler, who hits real hard. I have no issues with him in open space taking on a guy one on one. He reads the play well and can get to the ball carrier fast. If he was 2 inches taller he would be a 4-5 star safety/linebacker hybrid. The only real downside with him is I don't think his coverage skills aren't any good. The tape only showed a couple of plays of him in coverage and they weren't good. He was up against players that were average at best athletically and he was struggling.

Happy with this pick up. The key is to not have to rely on this guy next year. Give him 2 solid years. as a RSFrosh maybe-maybe he can make the 2 deep and be a special teams ace. Then his RS-Jr. yeah he’s ready to contribute.

Fortunately, we'll finally be deep at S next year. Hall, Bolden, Carter, and K Smith are an amazing rotation.

Advertisement
This is the classic example of a talented, albeit non-blue chip local kid that we would have likely slow played into the latter stages of the signing period, who won't reciprocate interest and then sign with Louisville or Utah, much to CIS' chagrin. Now he commits and many of you complain that we reached?
I like the strategy in principle. For the most part, they’re not landing the elites so it’s better to wrap up solid players than whiff on plan A’s and scramble for Plan C’s and D’s in the end.

Sadly, that’s where we’re at right now.

Alert! Someone chugging reality instead of sipping Koolaid.

The problem is your original statement made you sound dumb. Grabbing a bunch 3 star/low 4 star players means we should still obliterate CMU.

Now if you would have said that if we grab only 3 start / low 4 star we'll never compete at a championship level, then you would have sounded smarter.

Advertisement
Have to give the staff credit for continuing to land these under the radar guys (who can actually play). A lot of years it was 5 star or bust, and I mean really bust, and any rational fan would see guys like this doing very well at a power 5 program and getting drafted while we were filled with busts.

This year:

-Restrepo
-Antonio Smith
-Austin Cave
-Clarke
-Hodges
-Branch
-Balom
-maybe Chris Washington
-to some extent even Elijah Roberts is probably under the radar
I have no problem taking these kids, in my opinion we've suffered not only from a lack of elite 5* talent, but also from not getting enough quality 3* & 4*s to fill out classes, so that we have enough JRs & SRs to uphold a standard, and have the kind of depth you need to be a tough out. Lets get to a well balanced, 85 man roster for Christ's sake! And lets get some G.D. OTs.

Advertisement
I have no problem taking these kids, in my opinion we've suffered not only from a lack of elite 5* talent, but also from not getting enough quality 3* & 4*s to fill out classes, so that we have enough JRs & SRs to uphold a standard, and have the kind of depth you need to be a tough out. Lets get to a well balanced, 85 man roster for Christ's sake! And lets get some G.D. OTs.

Reasons why we're not Coastal champs every year:
1. Balance -- this year it's OL, last year it was QB. Every year a different position just can't get it done.
2. Coaching
3. Depth -- remember when our secondary was gassed playing Toledo? How many games under Shannon and Golden would we be up at half only to lose it late in the 4th (see #2 reason there, as well).

Elite talent doesn't even make the top 3 for being the Coastal champions. Now, we'll never beat Clemson or another Top 3-5 team without elite talent. But can we please fix issues 1-3 first? We don't need $EC money to do that.

Reasons why we're not Coastal champs every year:
1. Balance -- this year it's OL, last year it was QB. Every year a different position just can't get it done.
2. Coaching
3. Depth -- remember when our secondary was gassed playing Toledo? How many games under Shannon and Golden would we be up at half only to lose it late in the 4th (see #2 reason there, as well).

Elite talent doesn't even make the top 3 for being the Coastal champions. Now, we'll never beat Clemson or another Top 3-5 team without elite talent. But can we please fix issues 1-3 first? We don't need $EC money to do that.
Exactly, every year there's a roster problem where there's a lack of JRs at some position. If we can fix that, we can start winning 10 games a year, and win the Coastal yearly. Then maybe we can start recruiting well enough to win bowl games against Wisconsin & maybe... some day... challenge Clemson.

Advertisement
Was waiting on him to commit. Good get.
Great news for a Wednesday in addition to battlefront 2 update 😊

His test numbers look good but athleticism doesn’t jump out at me on his film. Congrats to the kid. Hope he does great here.

Play against him on Friday will get to see him up close.

Regardless its a Miramar kid...My neighborhood kids produce and are tough. Love the pick up....Kid is a hitter and has good measurables coming in to work with. He will be 6'1 190 and running low 4.5's very early. I saw him in August he looked to be close to 6'1

Exactly Manny just said he wants parents involved before the kid commits. He wants the kid to be sure and enjoy your visits before you commit. If you do commit and then say you're open and take other visits then someone who's serious may take your spot.

I don't see what the big deal is. So we're supposed to hold a spot for a low four or three star and get left on signing day?

And I'm sure his rule doesn't apply to five stars so again what's the big deal?

Should apply to everyone

Let’s see, we’ve had 4 safeties start and graduate from Miami since Banda has been here in 2016.

3 of 4 were drafted, but all currently in the NFL.

2 four stars(Carter, Johnson)
2 three stars(Redwine, Jenkins)

How many of those did Panda recruit? Having 4 backup/ST players in NFL isnt something to hang your hat on......

Advertisement
Back