Braxton Berrios

The hype on Berrios really has to do with this board. People saw his Sparq score, saw him catching a TD in the All American game, and people on this board started getting hyped up. And yes the fact that he's white gave him an extra bump in his hype.

But Nationally he was ranked correctly - ESPN had him as the #43 WR in 2014, and 247 had him #52 . People here were just expecting too much.

I expect him to contribute more now that he's a Junior, and have 1 or 2 big games. But he is what he was supposed to be - a contributor, not a go to guy.
Won't be popular, but that's a pretty spot on post.

Also - I'll add on that Kaaya doesn't really throw to the slot that much, unless it's a TE running something over the middle as a bigger target in the intermediate part of the field either in front or just behind the LB's. As great as Kaaya is, undoubtedly, he still has things that he needs to work on. Timing with quicker receivers in the slot is one of them. In order to hit that kind of slot WR on short routes, whether it's Berrios or Bruce or Lewis, he has to get his release point just a bit higher and drive the ball low and in front to give those guys a chance to run after the catch. How many batted balls did we see against Kaaya this past season? It became a worrying trend, to me at least.

All of our slot guys don't need to be lined up outside, streaking up the sideline trying to catch jump balls...*cough* like the drop against F$U people like to kill Berrios about *cough*. Those guys need to be going against either a nickel CB, S, or LB, and running from one side of the field to the other and using their quickness/route running skills to separate, and then run after the catch.

Use them right, and this whole **** conversation will be moot.

Advertisement
Dont know why Berrios is always getting so much hate. Has Malcolm Lewis been better? Or is it against the rules to talk about him because of his gruesome injury?

A 3 man lineup of Coley-Berrios-Cager and guys like Richards/Mullins/Bruce providing much needed we will be fine. I think that bowl game gave us a glimpse of what an experienced and healthy Berrios can do.

I am looking forward to a big Spring from him.

OP tawkin' 'bout practice, Man.

​Practice.

9908cb640cf00bd6689bd2aee22f0a9d.768x506x1.jpg

He was great in camp this year but a couple injuries really hurt him.

Hopefully, he commits himself to slimming down. He is too heavy for his game. Bruce is coming for his job so he has no choice.

Would be interesting to have him and Bruce in the slots in 4 WR sets. Agree he needs to lose weight, yet another kid Golden fattened up.

LOL @ His Sparq score...we talkin' football, or some **** obstacle course? Nevin's love child better tighten up...BRUCE COMIN'!!!

Advertisement
I think having him and Bruce healthy next year will do wonders, not only for the team, but for each other. They'll be fresh all game long, which can be really scary for opposing defences. I don't think Berrios has hit his stride yet due to injuries, and I think Bruce is a freak of a route runner. It's going to be a very fun year for Cane football if Richt can get HIS O running, and they stay healthy.

He was great in camp this year but a couple injuries really hurt him.

Hopefully, he commits himself to slimming down. He is too heavy for his game. Bruce is coming for his job so he has no choice.

Would be interesting to have him and Bruce in the slots in 4 WR sets. Agree he needs to lose weight, yet another kid Golden fattened up.

I agree he needs to lose a little bit more weight. Having him and bruce to push eachother and stay fresh all game is great. Also Third downs will only get easier with those 2 in the slot. Both are very quick in and out of breaks hence the fast shuttle time. I don't think there will be a distinct starter in the slot those two will share snaps all game long.

Advertisement
There is another reason Berrios gets so little playing time, but it will not be discussed.

I don't think there would've ever been as much hype surrounding him if people weren't always trying to find the next Steve Largent which the modern day equivalent is Wes Welker. Decent enough receiver, but he's got a looking way to go before he's someone you can rely upon consistently.

I think Bruce, if he gets the plays down will eat up a lot of his snaps.

No. People are looking for our players to do better on the field and match their potential. This has nothing to do with race.

Whether people say it does or doesn't, not even his high school highlights justified the hype IMHO.

I myself don't care one bit where someone is from or what they look like, I just never understood the hype from day one. Perhaps it was his brash attitude and like the OP said, it's basically put up or shut up time. I hope he can back up the talk, I'm sure we all hope for that.

His hype came from his sparq score not that he was white. I believe he had the best short shuttle of any recruit in the country. You show those kind of quicks and there will be hype.

Not sure why it matters that Berrios is white. To be fair, I'm not sure he knows he's white.

In early 2014 he was bringing comparisons to Welker because he wore the 83, was a clutch slot receiver and was white. He looked great for awhile and then disappeared

Advertisement
Not sure if he'll ball out here at the U but did you see his reverse run in the bowl game?

Dude had a nasty cut and showed some nice speed for a white boy. The potential is clearly there

He's also had some big 3rd down conversion catches. In the FSU game he had a big one

One thing I've learned in my many years of watching teams I love be bad is this. You gotta take everything you just got done seeing with a grain of salt when a legit coaching staff and culture change comes in. But I agree he looked a little too thick...Golden weight?

Advertisement
I don't think there would've ever been as much hype surrounding him if people weren't always trying to find the next Steve Largent which the modern day equivalent is Wes Welker. Decent enough receiver, but he's got a looking way to go before he's someone you can rely upon consistently.

I think Bruce, if he gets the plays down will eat up a lot of his snaps.

No. People are looking for our players to do better on the field and match their potential. This has nothing to do with race.

Whether people say it does or doesn't, not even his high school highlights justified the hype IMHO.

I myself don't care one bit where someone is from or what they look like, I just never understood the hype from day one. Perhaps it was his brash attitude and like the OP said, it's basically put up or shut up time. I hope he can back up the talk, I'm sure we all hope for that.

His hype came from his sparq score not that he was white. I believe he had the best short shuttle of any recruit in the country. You show those kind of quicks and there will be hype.

Not sure why it matters that Berrios is white. To be fair, I'm not sure he knows he's white.

I thought he was Cuban....

I thought he was Cuban....

I think he's Puerto Rican.

Advertisement
Back