Braxton Berrios

This is going to be a fun thread to bring back up in December. If he stays healthy, he will be a beast in the middle of the field. He definitely aint going to let a freshman take his spot, thats for **** sure.

Advertisement
I don't think there would've ever been as much hype surrounding him if people weren't always trying to find the next Steve Largent which the modern day equivalent is Wes Welker. Decent enough receiver, but he's got a looking way to go before he's someone you can rely upon consistently.

I think Bruce, if he gets the plays down will eat up a lot of his snaps.

No. People are looking for our players to do better on the field and match their potential. This has nothing to do with race.

Whether people say it does or doesn't, not even his high school highlights justified the hype IMHO.

I myself don't care one bit where someone is from or what they look like, I just never understood the hype from day one. Perhaps it was his brash attitude and like the OP said, it's basically put up or shut up time. I hope he can back up the talk, I'm sure we all hope for that.

are you serious his HS highlights didnt justify hype? come on get real

lol dude was scoring td's in the all american game with a blown ACL.

Need two years to get back to full strength after ACL tear. You gain a lot of weight during rehab and then you have to retrain all your muscles again. Not even mention gaining complete confidence in your knee again. You literally take 8 months completely off from anything full speed, and then we expect him to get back to one of the highest levels of football like nothing happened. Not everyone is AP.

Honey Badger just tore his other ACL at the end of this year (having tore the other one two years ago). He said he came back too quickly last time and his performance on the field the year following was poor. Just give Berrios time. He has the skill set and his attitude on the field is what we need.

For me, Berrios has been one of the biggest disappointments of this team. I had high hopes for him but just don't see anything special about him. He has good hands but that's it. He has no business returning kicks either.

Advertisement
Braxton Berrios (@HNYNUT_BERRIOS)
1/19/16, 3:44 PM
Officially a junior. 24 classes taken, 24 A's. It's amazing what you can do when you stop making excuses as to why you can't.

There's that though...

Looked fast and explosive in the bowl. I think he has a huge year next year.

Hopefully he has a breakout year and solidifies the slot position. I've never liked him as a return guy. He has more quickness than long speed. For next year Berrios can take most of the snaps in the slot and Bruce can be a great back up. Bruce should be back on returns over Berrios for sure.

This guy has the mindset to do whatever he wants if he stays away from injuries. I love the sh*t talk. I remember someone doing an interview with him and asking what he thought about the comparisons to Welker and Decker. His response was that he wanted to be compared to Harrison, Irvin and the like. He will be fine.

Advertisement
Braxton Berrios (@HNYNUT_BERRIOS)
1/19/16, 3:44 PM
Officially a junior. 24 classes taken, 24 A's. It's amazing what you can do when you stop making excuses as to why you can't.

There's that though...

You've gotta applaud that.

Berrios was behind Coley who was our second leading receiver in the slot last season.

We had three studs at wr and he was fourth among wrs in catches.

Our rbs and tes caught 92 passes.

This season he and Malcolm will step up or they'll be passed up by Bruce.

Either way, the cream rises to the top.

One thing's for sure, Braxton will make this team better with his effort.

Advertisement
The incoming WR class is top notch. All four of the WRs are elite, IMO. AR could be a first round draft pick. Same with Mullin

berrios is gonna do some things. he is a wes welker, julien eldeman type. quick slot guy. thats it. bruce can play some outside.

if we are in 21 personal i expect the start wrs' to be coley and cager. if we got 3 wide early berrios is probaby in slot. i expect richards, and bruce to see feild alot early on. probably in 3 and 4 wr sets. but berrios will be a big part of the passing game this year.

I don't think there would've ever been as much hype surrounding him if people weren't always trying to find the next Steve Largent which the modern day equivalent is Wes Welker. Decent enough receiver, but he's got a looking way to go before he's someone you can rely upon consistently.

No. People are looking for our players to do better on the field and match their potential. This has nothing to do with race.

Whether people say it does or doesn't, not even his high school highlights justified the hype IMHO.

I myself don't care one bit where someone is from or what they look like, I just never understood the hype from day one. Perhaps it was his brash attitude and like the OP said, it's basically put up or shut up time. I hope he can back up the talk, I'm sure we all hope for that.

His hype came from his sparq score not that he was white. I believe he had the best short shuttle of any recruit in the country. You show those kind of quicks and there will be hype.

Advertisement
I was down voted in the Byrd thread for saying that it would be nice if his on field production matched his off field talk.

Am I wrong here? The guy came in with fairly big expectations and had done absolutely nothing other than **** his teammates off with his attitude. He supposedly developed a rapport with Kaaya yet often times when he was in the game Kaaya looked the other way. He also had several keys drops.

I'm not giving up on him yet, but isn't it time for him to put up or shut up?

I blame his knee. What did he do to **** of his teammates? Never heard anything concrete or material about that buzz.

Supposedly he was a real **** on the practice field. Talking a lot of **** but not in a good way. Just being an *******.

Someone on here reported it.

When he's being recruited it's called swag and "the type of Canes we need"....he also came in at a time when the team was looking soft (not too rare in recent years) and needed a charge.

Bottom line, with injuries, etc..the kid's game hasn't caught up with the hype or his mouth sometimes.

UM

coley's offensive genius seems to get receivers killed. 7 wr screens a game tends to get picked up by the defense

Kaaya actually almost got him killed on the play where he got hurt...
It ain't popular to dog HBK for that throw, but it's the truth. You beat me to it. Kaaya was late on the slant, and got Berrios' leg twisted up under him like a pretzel on top of getting hit by the defender.

I just want to understand...are we dogging Berrios for talking **** during practice? Or are we dogging him for talking **** but not backing it up with production yet? That's a bit of nuance here...I want him to be ****y and talk ****. I also want him to back it up, but injuries have held him back from doing that.

Anyone just looking to dog him out for talking **** in general needs to grow a pair and remember that, even though we've struggled, this is still Miami. We ought to invite that swagger and ****iness with open arms, not complain about a guy exuding confidence and trying his damnedest to back up his talk with his game. We need to embrace more of Berrios' attitude, if you ask me.

His hype came from his sparq score not that he was white. I believe he had the best short shuttle of any recruit in the country. You show those kind of quicks and there will be hype.

The hype on Berrios really has to do with this board. People saw his Sparq score, saw him catching a TD in the All American game, and people on this board started getting hyped up. And yes the fact that he's white gave him an extra bump in his hype.

But Nationally he was ranked correctly - ESPN had him as the #43 WR in 2014, and 247 had him #52 . People here were just expecting too much.

I expect him to contribute more now that he's a Junior, and have 1 or 2 big games. But he is what he was supposed to be - a contributor, not a go to guy.

Advertisement
Back