Brad Kaaya

Advertisement
West Hills (CA) Chaminade High School QB Brad Kaaya says the Hurricanes remain atop his list of favorites.

How far in front is Miami?

"They're pretty far ahead," Kaaya said. "They were my first offer, and coach (James) Coley, coach (Al) Golden are great. It's a team that fits me. It's a school that I've watched since I was little."

Kaaya has one other offer right now, from San Diego State, and he says several other schools appear close to offering. He's taken visits to Stanford, Arizona State, Oklahoma State and UCLA and all are showing him serious interest.

Asked if he thinks any of those programs are close to offering, Kaaya said, "Yeah, they're close. I just like Miami so much because they knew what they wanted and offered me first. A lot of other schools are playing games right now. It's confusing, but Miami's been straightforward."

Kaaya says while UM is across the country that "I'm completely fine with that. Distance isn't really a factor."

He says he could announce a final decision as soon as next month - he has what he calls a "final visit" set up to San Diego State next week. He says the goal is to decide before his season regardless.

"I want to decide pretty early, but then again it's a huge decision," Kaaya said. "I'll take some time to think about it."

Kaaya says he's made it clear to Cane coaches that UM is his clear frontrunner. "Coach Coley, he's excited," Kaaya said. "Every single day I'm calling him on the phone, he's asking when I'll be a Cane, saying Miami is the place for me."

Of what UM likes about him, Kaaya said, "Coach Coley says I'd fit in his system well. I'm 6-4, 218. He likes how I can throw the ball downfield, play in a pro style offense. He said I remind him a lot of EJ Manuel when he was recruiting him."

First let me say I want this kid as UM QB. However he is the one playing games here, UM was the first to offer, but he is trully hoping for a Stanford or UCLA offer. If UM is so far in front then be leader and commit. If we would have offered Mahalak do you think he would saying political double talk like this, heck nah he would have committed an started recruiting other players ASAP. Remember this kids dad is accomplished screen writer, so his soon knows how to put an convincing ACT.

In one part of the article he says he would could commit next month, the next he is saying it will be before the season, the next he saying he has to think about. Wow that's a decisive Team leader if I have ever heard one. I think he is sending messages to Stanford that he is tired of waiting while they wait for the Palto Alto QB they really want to commit, and having just lost a QB on their roster I am thinking now Stanford may take two QB's an this is what Kaaya is waiting for. As for UCLA I can see where they are stringy him along just as a plan C. An Okie State is waiting on two Local kids that are pretty much gift wrapped but just incase something crazy happens they are keeping Kaaya warm and said thing is that Kaaya knows this but won't accept it an move on to UM, then use it as motivation.

But hey lets see how this plays out.

Go Canes

Paranoid,

Next month and before the season are not mutually exclusive. If he commits next month it is also before the season.

I have read BS before but that stuff about the ACT is top notch. Wow!

Paranos I actually read some stuff that said your first love Mahalak really wanted an Oregaon of ND offer and if they ever came that is where he was going. Despite his high interest in Miami.

That being said IT does seem like he wants one of the big west coast schools to offer but let it play out. Miami has a head start of the competition.

Advertisement
Berating Kaaya for not committing 9 months before signin day is laughable. Yes he is a QB and needs to be a leader, but anytime before his season is fine for me. Let him see what offers he will get before committing, that way once he makes a decision it's final unlike Alin. If Lammons would've committed once he got offered, everyone would be mad at him for looking at other schools. Kaaya is excellent in the pocket and UM found a nice player in him. Him and Alin as the 2014 would be B+/A- for me.

West Hills (CA) Chaminade High School QB Brad Kaaya says the Hurricanes remain atop his list of favorites.

How far in front is Miami?

"They're pretty far ahead," Kaaya said. "They were my first offer, and coach (James) Coley, coach (Al) Golden are great. It's a team that fits me. It's a school that I've watched since I was little."

Kaaya has one other offer right now, from San Diego State, and he says several other schools appear close to offering. He's taken visits to Stanford, Arizona State, Oklahoma State and UCLA and all are showing him serious interest.

Asked if he thinks any of those programs are close to offering, Kaaya said, "Yeah, they're close. I just like Miami so much because they knew what they wanted and offered me first. A lot of other schools are playing games right now. It's confusing, but Miami's been straightforward."

Kaaya says while UM is across the country that "I'm completely fine with that. Distance isn't really a factor."

He says he could announce a final decision as soon as next month - he has what he calls a "final visit" set up to San Diego State next week. He says the goal is to decide before his season regardless.

"I want to decide pretty early, but then again it's a huge decision," Kaaya said. "I'll take some time to think about it."

Kaaya says he's made it clear to Cane coaches that UM is his clear frontrunner. "Coach Coley, he's excited," Kaaya said. "Every single day I'm calling him on the phone, he's asking when I'll be a Cane, saying Miami is the place for me."

Of what UM likes about him, Kaaya said, "Coach Coley says I'd fit in his system well. I'm 6-4, 218. He likes how I can throw the ball downfield, play in a pro style offense. He said I remind him a lot of EJ Manuel when he was recruiting him."

First let me say I want this kid as UM QB. However he is the one playing games here, UM was the first to offer, but he is trully hoping for a Stanford or UCLA offer. If UM is so far in front then be leader and commit. If we would have offered Mahalak do you think he would saying political double talk like this, heck nah he would have committed an started recruiting other players ASAP. Remember this kids dad is accomplished screen writer, so his soon knows how to put an convincing ACT.

In one part of the article he says he would could commit next month, the next he is saying it will be before the season, the next he saying he has to think about. Wow that's a decisive Team leader if I have ever heard one. I think he is sending messages to Stanford that he is tired of waiting while they wait for the Palto Alto QB they really want to commit, and having just lost a QB on their roster I am thinking now Stanford may take two QB's an this is what Kaaya is waiting for. As for UCLA I can see where they are stringy him along just as a plan C. An Okie State is waiting on two Local kids that are pretty much gift wrapped but just incase something crazy happens they are keeping Kaaya warm and said thing is that Kaaya knows this but won't accept it an move on to UM, then use it as motivation.

But hey lets see how this plays out.

Go Canes

Screen Writer..Yes...Accomplished screen writer????

Not so much

The 41-Year-Old Virgin Who Knocked Up Sarah Marshall and Felt Superbad About It (video) (written by)

2006 The Unsuccessful Thug (TV series)

2001 O (screenplay)

1999-2000 Cousin Skeeter (TV series)
– Gym Dandy (2000) (writer)
– Sugar Daddy (2000) (writer)
– The Candidate (1999) (writer)

1998 Damon (TV series)
– The Exam (1998) (writer)

1997 Malcolm & Eddie (TV series)
– The Courtship of Eddie's Mother (1997) (writer)
– Been There, Done That (1997) (writer)

1996 Waynehead (TV series)
– Demon of the Dozens (1996) (writer)

1996 MADtv (TV series)
– Episode #2.2 (1996) (writer)
– Episode #2.1 (1996) (writer)

1996 A Little Off the Top (short)

This kid is my favorite UM QB recruit since Bridgewater. His commitment would be enormous and a credit to Coach Coley for acting fast.

Advertisement
This kid is my favorite UM QB recruit since Bridgewater. His commitment would be enormous and a credit to Coach Coley for acting fast.

Why are you so high on him? I am as well, just curious as to what you are seeing.

Why are you so high on him? I am as well, just curious as to what you are seeing.

It's his field vision. The guy looks people off and goes through his progressions at an incredible rate for such a young and inexperienced player. He also does a great job of moving in the pocket (albeit with great protection). His size looks more than good enough and he's accurate.

To me, he's an ascendant player that we got at the right time. His game (and these are only highlights, not game film) shows a lot of the same qualities as classic Canes QBs like Walsh and Dorsey. Throw in his outstanding academics, and it's easy to get excited about this guy running the show.

It's his field vision. The guy looks people off and goes through his progressions at an incredible rate for such a young and inexperienced player. He also does a great job of moving in the pocket (albeit with great protection). His size looks more than good enough and he's accurate.

To me, he's an ascendant player that we got at the right time. His game (and these are only highlights, not game film) shows a lot of the same qualities as classic Canes QBs like Walsh and Dorsey. Throw in his outstanding academics, and it's easy to get excited about this guy running the show.

Kid's got a great arm too. Throws the deep out with confidence in his tape and is dead on accurate too. Also, love his anticipation - the way he see's the receiver about to get open before he actually is. Him, with the weapons we have, along with the weapons that I am confident we will be adding in the next few cycles, would be ridiculous. Really hope this kid commits and sticks...

Advertisement

Just curious since all you guys love him why doesn't he have any major offers from schools near him? I'm sure they see him during the season and everything.

Just curious since all you guys love him why doesn't he have any major offers from schools near him? I'm sure they see him during the season and everything.
I think they are coming unless he commits soon. Most coaches want to see a QB throw before they offer. Some staffs are ok with the OC seeing the player throw at spring ball others want the QB to throw for the head coach in the summer at camp,

Advertisement
I am not ripping the kid, I am merely stating he is using UM to get the offers he really wants! QB's commit early then help to build the class around them that is what a leader does. Also I have said many times that I wanted Kaaya ahead of Mahalak, because I think he is a better QB. But what I really want is someone that will take the Recruiting Class Reins an run with it.

It would go something like this I am committing to UM, and I am calling up Dalvin Cook an letting him know that with my passing game and his continued partnering with Yearby they could each run for a 100yd+ every game and I would pass for 300yd per game easy. Lets go win some Championships at UM, and show SEC is SECond to UM an the rising ACC. He would then call up WR Emron Lane an say look at what we are building at UM come with us and you will be a 1000yd WR. That's what a QB does for his class. He would then call up Cali Olb/DE Tyler Cook an say he we are gonna score 40+pts a game and that will put pressure on opposing offenses to keep passing which creates a perfect opportunity for you to rack up sacks with your speed come to UM with me.

Now Again I say I want this kid in the class and I am not ripping him just pointing the truth is what is being said when looking at it objectively. I find it interesting all these attacks about me, but not one disputing that he is waiting on other offers an that schools are slow playing him so he is slow playing Miami.

If commits to UM, that will be great, if not I wish him well wherever he goes but, make a decision so UM can move on to other areas.

As for Mahalak if he would have gotten a UM offer earlier he said many times he would have commit and shut it down, much like what he has done now with the Oregon offer.

Go Canes

Paranos may have a fair point. If the kid is so high on us, why not pull the trigger? I understand waiting to make sure you are doing the right thing, but some of what he says does smack of trying to force other schools to pull the trigger and offer him.

Call me skeptical, but if he gets the offer he wants on the West Coast, he's staying out west. My guess is that even if he is a plan B right now for some schools out West, if he's all everyone says he is, his Senior season should bring him a ton of offers. I just dont get the sense he is coming here.

Paranos may have a fair point. If the kid is so high on us, why not pull the trigger? I understand waiting to make sure you are doing the right thing, but some of what he says does smack of trying to force other schools to pull the trigger and offer him.

Call me skeptical, but if he gets the offer he wants on the West Coast, he's staying out west. My guess is that even if he is a plan B right now for some schools out West, if he's all everyone says he is, his Senior season should bring him a ton of offers. I just dont get the sense he is coming here.
Would you rather he commit then gets tons of offers close to home and then deal with pressure to stay home? Let him get those other offers and talk it out with his family to make a concrete choice

Love this kid's film, let's hope he commits soon. I expect UCLA and Stanford to eventually offer, let's see if his Miami love holds through that.

Advertisement
Back