Brad Kaaya highlight The Opening

Advertisement
some of yall need to stop disrespecting my boy Olsen. Hands down the best QB prospect from 2013.

The ball he throws reminds me a ton of Sam Bradford's.

This is the name that I've used a ton in reference to Kaaya.

From his mechanics, to the velocity on his ball, to his build, to even his appearance, he reminds me a lot of Sam Bradford.

To those talking about Dewey, he wasn't anywhere near the level of praise that Kaaya was and he didn't even make the final cut for the Elite 11. Word was that he struggled as the week wore on and got more competitive.

From his mechanics, to the velocity on his ball, to his build, to even his appearance, he reminds me a lot of Sam Bradford.

To those talking about Dewey, he wasn't anywhere near the level of praise that Kaaya was and he didn't even make the final cut for the Elite 11. Word was that he struggled as the week wore on and got more competitive.

Kaaya even kinda looks like Bradford.

Advertisement
I really appreciate all of you Canes who have responded to Boarcane's initial break down of Kaaya. I think this sort of discussion is in part what DMoney and Lu had in mind when they created this site.

Also, to LuCane, I agree that indeed it is hard to evaluate a kid when there is no pass rush. Some kids certainly forget their coaching when the heat is on and the lights are bright. Again, I am really looking forward to how Kaaya develops. Based on what he has accomplished and comments here his future seems very bright.

I personally like Kevin Olsen, I definitely wouldn't write him off, I believe they will be both neck and neck when it comes to competition, it may just come down to who can manage the game more efficiently. I mean that's with anyone, but their playing style is very similar.

Last edited:
With Kevin's dad being a coach, he can play the game, but he can equally and instantly draw it out on the chalkboard. He's been taught lots of nuances of coverage weaknesses and how to exploit them.

Kaaya may or may NOT have that level of coverage nuances, but he's one **** of an athlete with a great arm.

Each will make the other better.

Advertisement
With Kevin's dad being a coach, he can play the game, but he can equally and instantly draw it out on the chalkboard. He's been taught lots of nuances of coverage weaknesses and how to exploit them.

Kaaya may or may NOT have that level of coverage nuances, but he's one **** of an athlete with a great arm.

Each will make the other better.

KO is the "brains" guy

Kaaya is the "tools" guy

The best part about them both, is that they aren't shabby in the department that isn't their identity.

People shouldnt underrate olsen's athletic ability. Kid has good genes. But on size and arm strength, kaaya has him beat.

Nobody knows what these kids are gonna do until they get to UM but Kaaya has better tools, mechanics and he seems to be just as smart as KO.

Nobody knows what these kids are gonna do until they get to UM but Kaaya has better tools, mechanics and he seems to be just as smart as KO.

How do you judge either of their 'smarts' before they get here?

Qb 'smarts' is really about three things that you can't assess without live action -- reading defenses, making progressions, and staying calm and makng good decisions under pressure.

Advertisement
The kid threw one int his junior year. Football smarts. I saw him make throws that were very difficult whether it was good coverage or he had pressure at his feet. From his highlights at the opening I thought he looked good, he's got good feet and his upper body is very fluid he doesn't look mechanical like Olsen does. I don't think he needs to change anything in his throwing motion its not like he is Byron Leftwich with an elongated throwing motion, its compact quick and there's no need to jave the ball higher. His release is similar to Stephen Morris.

The issue with qb intelligence isnt revealed by someone making hard throws successfully. It's the throws you shouldn't have tried, and the throws you messed up, and sometimes, the throws you didnt see, or make, that define qb intelligence. And college offenses and defenses can look very different from hs. Just ask kyle wright about that.

This. Dewey had a strong 1st day, but withered away by the end of the competition. Did not make the Elite 11.

Advertisement
article that talked about what Elite 11 QB's would start as freshmen

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...4512266/2014-recruiting-quarterbacks-elite-11

Brad Kaaya, Miami: The 6'4, 215-pound Kaaya is a consensus four-star recruit. He passed for 1,875 yards with 12 TDs and only two INTs on the field as a junior and has committed to Miami (Fla.) over an offer from San Diego State.

The coach said that Kaaya has a stiff lower half, but awesome upper half, adding that you can absolutely fix the lower half with drills and stretching. But the top half doesn't need fixing, and it's very good.

More from our coversation: He can sling it from multiple arm angles, and when he is off balance. Kaaya is a bright kid. But Kevin Olsen is a tough competitor, and he'll have a year in the system. The coach is not sure if Kaaya can beat out Olsen.

article that talked about what Elite 11 QB's would start as freshmen

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...4512266/2014-recruiting-quarterbacks-elite-11

Brad Kaaya, Miami: The 6'4, 215-pound Kaaya is a consensus four-star recruit. He passed for 1,875 yards with 12 TDs and only two INTs on the field as a junior and has committed to Miami (Fla.) over an offer from San Diego State.

The coach said that Kaaya has a stiff lower half, but awesome upper half, adding that you can absolutely fix the lower half with drills and stretching. But the top half doesn't need fixing, and it's very good.

More from our coversation: He can sling it from multiple arm angles, and when he is off balance. Kaaya is a bright kid. But Kevin Olsen is a tough competitor, and he'll have a year in the system. The coach is not sure if Kaaya can beat out Olsen.

Finally a coach with honesty and integrity.

Advertisement
Back