Brad Kaaya highlight The Opening

Advertisement
[video=youtube;ZCAALS2zsV8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&gl=US&client=mv-google&v=ZCAALS2zsV8&feature=youtube_gdata_player&nomobile=1[/video]

Kaaya vs Olsen in 2014.

Hang on to your butts.

Holy **** balls, his footwork has IMPROVED a ton in a VERY VERY VERY short time. His ability to short step into the pocket, even under no pressure, in a 7 on 7 is fantastic. There is not one throw that his feet get planted. He is not the same "pocket" passer i last saw on film. WoW! :neonu:

Advertisement
Boarcane can you compare his footwork in the above highlight with that here and explain how his footwork has improved. Good way to pass a little time during the off season and learn a little bit about the technicalities of the QB position. Thanks.

[video=youtube;rFZAsGd9qJk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFZAsGd9qJk[/video]

Boarcane can you compare his footwork in the above highlight with that here and explain how his footwork has improved. Good way to pass a little time during the off season and learn a little bit about the technicalities of the QB position. Thanks.

He is consistent. He doesn't take long plodding steps on any of the 7 on 7 throws. Look at the difference in how wide and slow vs. compact and fast his stance is between the two films. He never over opens his hips (uses his entire body to throw the ball) up on the deep balls. He takes tight little steps, always moving moving his feet, and throws the deep ball like a power punch. The ball doesn't drive upward, it drives forward. If you watch the jr. highlights, they are good BUT if you never watch the ball leave his hands, you can tell how far hes trying to throw it. If you look at the 7 on 7's the ball's, no matter what side (not in the H.S. film) or how far all look the same leaving his hands. Lastly, he will have to operate in a smaller box and release the ball faster (more often) than in high school. That having been stated, small and always moving steps (after said drop) with a compact release lend themselves to a higher completion percentage, less sacks and not the Jacory overthrows that come from changing your motion based on the pressure. 2:30/2:50/3:35 mark's are perfect example of this. His feet completely stop moving. He never does this in the 7 on 7's. He's truly getting "coached up". People more often than not think a bad throw is only about release. However, often times it not being able to overcome bad feet.

Last edited:
Was Kaaya pretty much an unknown when Miami first offered?
No. Only by the scouts on Rivals that never coached or played ball lol. Stanford and Oregon were the two he wanted and showed the most interest. They got theirs and we got ours.

He was pretty much unknown on the national level. A couple of west coast schools knew about him they had others above him on their board tho

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
I appreciate you taking the time to elaborate on your previous statement about Kaaya's mechanics. Perhaps other gurus will add to the discussion. I look forward to his game highlights from his senior season to see how much he has developed from now until then. As someone who loves the game, but does not know all the technique for every position I find this type of discussion very helpful. Truthfully, what stood out to me when I first saw his junior film was that he appeared to have what I thought was a good base. Again thanks.

He is consistent. He doesn't take long plodding steps on any of the 7 on 7 throws. Look at the difference in how wide and slow vs. compact and fast his stance is between the two films. He never over opens his hips (uses his entire body to throw the ball) up on the deep balls. He takes tight little steps, always moving moving his feet, and throws the deep ball like a power punch. The ball doesn't drive upward, it drives forward. If you watch the jr. highlights, they are good BUT if you never watch the ball leave his hands, you can tell how far hes trying to throw it. If you look at the 7 on 7's the ball's, no matter what side (not in the H.S. film) or how far all look the same leaving his hands. Lastly, he will have to operate in a smaller box and release the ball faster (more often) than in high school. That having been stated, small and always moving steps with a compact release lend themselves to a higher completion percentage, less sacks and not the Jacory overthrows that come from changing your motion based on the pressure.

Last edited:
Was Kaaya pretty much an unknown when Miami first offered?
No. Only by the scouts on Rivals that never coached or played ball lol. Stanford and Oregon were the two he wanted and showed the most interest. They got theirs and we got ours.

He was pretty much unknown on the national level. A couple of west coast schools knew about him they had others above him on their board
He goes to a pretty decent size school he was known like you said he was known on the west coast others just had people higher on their board. Another major factor is a lot of schools want to see a QB throw at their camp before they offer. He said he was talking to a lot of schools but many wont pull that trigger before they see you throw in person.

I appreciate you taking the time to elaborate on your previous statement about Kaaya's mechanics. Perhaps other gurus will add to the discussion. I look forward to his game highlights from his senior season to see how much he has developed from now until then. As someone who loves the game, but does not know all the technique for every position I find this type of discussion very helpful. Truthfully, what stood out to me when I first saw his junior film was that he appeared to have what I thought was a good base. Again thanks.

He is consistent. He doesn't take long plodding steps on any of the 7 on 7 throws. Look at the difference in how wide and slow vs. compact and fast his stance is between the two films. He never over opens his hips (uses his entire body to throw the ball) up on the deep balls. He takes tight little steps, always moving moving his feet, and throws the deep ball like a power punch. The ball doesn't drive upward, it drives forward. If you watch the jr. highlights, they are good BUT if you never watch the ball leave his hands, you can tell how far hes trying to throw it. If you look at the 7 on 7's the ball's, no matter what side (not in the H.S. film) or how far all look the same leaving his hands. Lastly, he will have to operate in a smaller box and release the ball faster (more often) than in high school. That having been stated, small and always moving steps with a compact release lend themselves to a higher completion percentage, less sacks and not the Jacory overthrows that come from changing your motion based on the pressure.
2:30/2:50/3:35 and.... mark's are perfect example of this. His feet completely stop moving. He never does this in the 7 on 7's. He's truly getting "coached up". People more often than not think a bad throw is only about release. However, often times it not being able to overcome bad feet.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It'll be great to see what he has taken from all of the summer football camps to how he applies the new techniques on the field during his senior season. Not just him but all of our commits.

Advertisement

2:30/2:50/3:35 and.... mark's are perfect example of this. His feet completely stop moving. He never does this in the 7 on 7's. He's truly getting "coached up". People more often than not think a bad throw is only about release. However, often times it not being able to overcome bad feet.

This couldnt be more true. By no means am I a QB guru (I actually think its the hardest position to evaluate), but if you look at the lower half of HBK body in those 7 on 7 highlights, every throw looks exactly the same. For a HS senior, thats **** impressive. In his Junior tape, he looks kinda awkward in his dropbacks, but in those 7 on 7, it looks flawless. His upfield shoulder is always pointed where the ball ends up... Again, grown men who get paid to throw the ball, sometimes don't look as technically sound as HBK in those highlights.

To me, the most important thing to take from that is that the kid is a worker. As kid start getting courted by big time colleges, they usually get big headed or start forgetting to do the things that got them there. HBK has clearly been putting in work. That says alot about his character! CANT WAIT for this kid to battle it out with Olsen

Advertisement
Back