Brad Kaaya highlight The Opening

While I am very impressed with the unique skill set that Kaaya possesses, the advantage of being with the program for a full year will give Olsen a leg up.

Advertisement
While I am very impressed with the unique skill set that Kaaya possesses, the advantage of being with the program for a full year will give Olsen a leg up.

Olsen didnt enroll in spring, so he will mostly have during the season where he is mostly with the scout team While also needing to work in weight room and not getting direct coaching from Coley (But I am sure he will get to travel and get acclimated with college life and film session). Most of that happens in offseason, spring time. If Kaaya can get in the spring I think he will have a fair shot, now will he win it, hmm I dont think that is the plan but it will promote competition and will make everyone better.

If Kaaya doesnt enroll early, all bets are off. Moot point

Kaaya looks like a great prospect but a kid who could use a redshirt year, IMO. Best things to me are footwork/balance and touch/timing with receivers (including knowing how to take something off it). His arm is good but not great. His mechanics are good but not great. Needs to step into the throw more. He'll get more on the ball. He is trying, as you can see him throwing as he steps up. But he's not fully getting his body into his throws. And there was at least one throw off his back foot. Also, he could stand to focus on keeping his arm/elbow higher.

Kaaya looks like a great prospect but a kid who could use a redshirt year, IMO. Best things to me are footwork/balance and touch/timing with receivers (including knowing how to take something off it). His arm is good but not great. His mechanics are good but not great. Needs to step into the throw more. He'll get more on the ball. He is trying, as you can see him throwing as he steps up. But he's not fully getting his body into his throws. And there was at least one throw off his back foot. Also, he could stand to focus on keeping his arm/elbow higher.

Recently, QB developers have placed a great deal of emphasis on their QB's not over striding.

Most QB coaches want you to remain tall in the pocket and over striding hurts that, while it also impacts the QB's ability to rotate their hips.

Tony Romo/Aaron Rogers are probably the best modern day examples of how the position is coached mechanically and they don't have a big stride either. The focus for QB's is a quick release, staying away from an elongated throwing motion, and using the hips/core to power the ball instead of the upper body. The stride that you describe also tends to increase velocity, while limiting touch and greatly affecting accuracy. Judging by everything I've seen, Kaaya's biggest asset is his ball placement and ability to make different throws to fit the ball into tight windows. Don't know if you want to mess with that in an attempt to gain some more RPM's on his fastball, so to speak.

With all that said, I think Kaaya is really solid mechanically.

Last edited:

Recently, QB developers have placed a great deal of emphasis on their QB's not over striding.

Most QB coaches want you to remain tall in the pocket and over striding hurts that, while it also impacts the QB's ability to rotate their hips.

Tony Romo/Aaron Rogers are probably the best modern day examples of how the position is coached mechanically and they don't have a big stride either. The focus for QB's is a quick release, staying away from an elongated throwing motion, and using the hips to power the ball instead of the upper body.

This is interesting, please keep this stuff coming.

Advertisement

Tony Romo/Aaron Rogers are probably the best modern day examples of how the position is coached mechanically and they don't have a big stride either. The focus for QB's is a quick release, staying away from an elongated throwing motion, and using the hips to power the ball instead of the upper body.

This is interesting, please keep this stuff coming.

2 passions in life: Hip Hop Music and I'm a Quarterback fiend.

Not necessarily proud of my addiction to the latter lol

Tony Romo/Aaron Rogers are probably the best modern day examples of how the position is coached mechanically and they don't have a big stride either. The focus for QB's is a quick release, staying away from an elongated throwing motion, and using the hips/core to power the ball instead of the upper body. The stride that you describe also tends to increase velocity, while limiting touch and greatly affecting accuracy. Judging by everything I've seen, Kaaya's biggest asset is his ball placement and ability to make different throws to fit the ball into tight windows. Don't know if you want to mess with that in an attempt to gain some more RPM's on his fastball, so to speak.

Good discussion. But to be clear, I didn't say longer stride at all, though I could have been more precise in my comments. It's weight and balance. Throwing against your body's weight is not a good idea, for Aaron Rodgers or anyone else. And Kaaya could shorten up his arm motion also, which I suggested with my elbow up comment.

His footwork is great, and he stands tall so I don't think these are big fixes or things that will mess with him. But IMO he'll toss a bunch of picks if he doesn't quicken the release, tighten the arm motion, and get his weight moving with the throw a bit more consistently.

Good discussion. But to be clear, I didn't say longer stride at all, though I could have been more precise in my comments. It's weight and balance. Throwing against your body's weight is not a good idea, for Aaron Rodgers or anyone else. And Kaaya could shorten up his arm motion also, which I suggested with my elbow up comment.

His footwork is great, and he stands tall so I don't think these are big fixes or things that will mess with him. But IMO he'll toss a bunch of picks if he doesn't quicken the release, tighten the arm motion, and get his weight moving with the throw a bit more consistently.

Yeah, getting his weight moving forward would help him some. I think Brees is probably the best at that right now. He gets an incredible amount of zip on the ball that way and you did suggest that when you talked about HBK stepping up in the pocket more consistently. He also could stand to shift his weight on to his front foot instead of throwing against it like a power hitter in baseball.

Edited to mention Drew Brees. That dude gets amazing rotation through his core.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The QB coaches at the opening said he had some of the best mechanics.....

The challenge for Kaaya is to see how he applies what he's learned this off-season to the field,live, real pads, game situation, pass rush, ect. Will he retain all the info and progress? Or will he do things his own way back in the comfort of his community?

Last edited:
Fun stuff to look at, for sure, but extremely difficult to make valid conclusions without any pass rush.

you boys were saying the same thing about Preston Dewey..... when will it stop
That is just bull****.

Dewey not not very highly regarded but his HS coach (Detmer IIRC) hyped him and we didn't have much in the way of other options and Fisch clearly thought he could work with him. I'm sure there were fans hyping him the way there are fans hyping everything, but to suggest that serious posters were all excited about Dewey is just a BS.

This is just you doing your typical shtick.

Advertisement

Yeah, getting his weight moving forward would help him some. I think Brees is probably the best at that right now. He gets an incredible amount of zip on the ball that way and you did suggest that when you talked about HBK stepping up in the pocket more consistently. He also could stand to shift his weight on to his front foot instead of throwing against it like a power hitter in baseball.

Edited to mention Drew Brees. That dude gets amazing rotation through his core.

That is exactly what I am talking about.

Flawless mechanics

You must not know what flawless means, do you?

HBK has very good mechanics for a high schooler, but there is still a lot of room for improvement.

Advertisement
Fun stuff to look at, for sure, but extremely difficult to make valid conclusions without any pass rush.

Like I always say "no pads, no count."

I like that he is getting respect but I wouldn't take much out of this performance.

you boys were saying the same thing about Preston Dewey..... when will it stop
That is just bull****.

Dewey not not very highly regarded but his HS coach (Detmer IIRC) hyped him and we didn't have much in the way of other options and Fisch clearly thought he could work with him. I'm sure there were fans hyping him the way there are fans hyping everything, but to suggest that serious posters were all excited about Dewey is just a BS.

This is just you doing your typical shtick.

Ethnic please.... Do we not remember Dewey was also at the ELite 11 camp and was recieving rave reviews especially from Trent Dilfer who i believe coaches there?? Man please Dewey couldnt even start at his own high school and the praise was significant on this board

Advertisement
Back