Off-Topic Bourbon Heads

Advertisement
Yes sir! Definitely a personal tastes thing. My sweet spot for most bourbons is 9-12 year old( anything older starts going the other way for me), 100 proof minimum and most importantly a low rye mashbill.

Take **** Creek for example. Ive had access to KC from 9-15 year and from 100- full barrel proof. The best that ive had is around 11 to 12 year full barrel proof. After 12 it starts getting more of a "bite" to me.
Find the bourbons that you like. As i said earlier , i work for Beam and know a lot of people at Buffalo Trace.....most of those guys will tell you that the best bourbon they make is Eagle Rare and Weller 12 year( same as Pappy lot b ).
Eagle Rare and Weller's 12 are on my "see it, buy it" list. Dollar for dollar, Eagle Rare is in my top 3. The Weller's, unfortunately, is harder to find.

Eagle Rare and Weller's 12 are on my "see it, buy it" list. Dollar for dollar, Eagle Rare is in my top 3. The Weller's, unfortunately, is harder to find.
Almost impossible to find Weller around here also. Once everyone found out Weller and Pappy were the same mashbill Weller became very hard to get...and expensive. lol. Before the bourbon "boom" i could buy Weller 12 for around 25.00 a bottle and could get it almost any day. Same for Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year...bought bottle after bottle for around the same. Now Weller 12 is 250.00 and ORVW 10 is 500+
lol

Almost impossible to find Weller around here also. Once everyone found out Weller and Pappy were the same mashbill Weller became very hard to get...and expensive. lol. Before the bourbon "boom" i could buy Weller 12 for around 25.00 a bottle and could get it almost any day. Same for Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year...bought bottle after bottle for around the same. Now Weller 12 is 250.00 and ORVW 10 is 500+
lol
Being in the bourbon business, are distilleries ramping up production to reach demand a few years out? Obviously there’s only so much you can do for a 12 year bourbon in the short run. I’m not sure the prices will ever come back down anyways, now that it’s been proven people will spend it.

Advertisement
Being in the bourbon business, are distilleries ramping up production to reach demand a few years out? Obviously there’s only so much you can do for a 12 year bourbon in the short run. I’m not sure the prices will ever come back down anyways, now that it’s been proven people will spend it.
Yes they are. Buffalo Trace has really ramped up production. They bought a farm right behind the distillery and have built at 4 or 5 new warehouses that i can i see...maybe more. It will be interesting to see how the supply of the Weller and younger Pappy bourbons are in a few years. The retail price of those 2 isnt really that bad ....it's the secondary market that makes them near impossible to get. Hoping supply drives down the price.

Beam built the largest warehouse in Kentucky about 5 years and have 126 total i think. We're making a lot of flavored whiskeys right now that is causing us to ramp up still production. I think they also ramped up production on **** Creek. We ran out of 9 year about 2 or 3 years ago because of demand. KC fans probably noticed the absence of the 9 year age statement on KC bottles for a while.

Beam ran out of 9 year **** Creek about 2 years ago because of being short. They had older bourbon 12-15 year but was waiting on 9 year to age.**** Creek fans probably noticed the age statement missing from the label. During that time i think they blended 2 different ages of K.C. together(6 and 13 i think) until the 9 year became available again which was last year.

120 proof **** store picks are the best value in Bourbon, IMO. Really hope they don't cancel the program like some other Distillers.

I was ordering a bottle of bourbon for my boss the other day and came across this site:

Liquorbardelivery.com

They have most of the bourbons we've talked about on here. The ORVW etc. have the prices jacked up, but for people that are willing to pay you can get the 10, 12, 15 (the best bang for your buck IMO), 20, and I think 23. They also have some other pretty good bourbon that's been talked about on here. It's worth looking at. The bottle I ordered arrived within a week.

Advertisement
1632444697932.jpeg

Advertisement
Welcome to the addiction, my friend.
Those Blanton's bottles get harder and harder to track down every year. And when I have less than 3 in my home, I don't sleep right.
Just snagged one during my lunch break, $142. I'll save it for special occasions, like Blake James getting ****-canned.

I thought I read the price is state-controlled in Virginia. If that's the case, should I make a plan to stop at every liquor store on my way through next time?

Just snagged one during my lunch break, $142. I'll save it for special occasions, like Blake James getting ****-canned.

I thought I read the price is state-controlled in Virginia. If that's the case, should I make a plan to stop at every liquor store on my way through next time?

That is a painful price to pay for Blanton's, but it seems to only go up every year. Buffalo Trace typically does their BTAC and Blanton's allocations in October, so now is the time to find it on the shelves. Unfortunately, the states with the price controls tend to get even less of the stuff, so it ends up being harder to source but much cheaper (around $60) if you can actually find it. If it was me and I happened to be in one of those states I'd probably make a few stops at a liquor store and hope I get lucky... especially this time of year!

That is a painful price to pay for Blanton's, but it seems to only go up every year. Buffalo Trace typically does their BTAC and Blanton's allocations in October, so now is the time to find it on the shelves. Unfortunately, the states with the price controls tend to get even less of the stuff, so it ends up being harder to source but much cheaper (around $60) if you can actually find it. If it was me and I happened to be in one of those states I'd probably make a few stops at a liquor store and hope I get lucky... especially this time of year!
I can’t bring myself to buy Blanton anymore. I need to pick up a bottle of the Bardstown Discovery when they release next for about that same price.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Barring a Houston rally I'll be enjoying some of that Blantons in 2 ½ innings.

**** man, I'll keep an eye out for you. Here it's usually around $60 and it shouldn't be too hard to find in the next month or 2. This liquor store just opened up around the corner and they don't know what they're doing. I'll see if they'll let me order a case and we can split it.

**** man, I'll keep an eye out for you. Here it's usually around $60 and it shouldn't be too hard to find in the next month or 2. This liquor store just opened up around the corner and they don't know what they're doing. I'll see if they'll let me order a case and we can split it.
Where is "here" brother?

Advertisement
Back