Off-Topic Bourbon Heads

Advertisement
basil hayden has a high rye mashbill. it's overpriced for the proof in my opinion though. old grandad bonded is a slightly younger product using the same juice but at 100 proof for around $20. it's amazing for ****tails.
Have you had Hancocks? I’m usually a proof snob but this one is delicious and only 88.8 proof or something weird like that , I’d have to look at the couple bottles I have but it’s 88 something.

i've never been able to find it on the shelf, unfortunately.
I hear you . Seen it once personally. Freak occurrence, walked in a total wine in Lee county and they had 5 on the shelf at $49.99 . Bought 3 and wish I had bought the other 2 .

Advertisement
Which ido you like better? I don’t know much about this stuff
Honestly im not a fan of most high rye bourbons. My favorite of all( including all of the Pappy bourbon) is Eagle Rare....which has less than 10% rye in the mashbill. If i was going to drink a high rye bourbon I'd go after Woodford Reserve.

Honestly im not a fan of most high rye bourbons. My favorite of all( including all of the Pappy bourbon) is Eagle Rare....which has less than 10% rye in the mashbill. If i was going to drink a high rye bourbon I'd go after Woodford Reserve.
Ok. I’ve had both of those. It’s really a personal tastes thing.

52egxm.jpg

Advertisement
Anyone on here into Japanese whiskies? I have to admit, I have actually cut down on bourbon a bit in the last couple of years with the bourbon craze and prices shooting up. It became really frustrating to see a bottle that used to cost $30 a collecting dust (WL Weller), now costing 3x the price and having to go through a lottery.
Big fan of Japanese whisky. Something cheap($40) , smooth and tasty : Sensei.
My 2 favorites are Nikka from the barrel and Hibiki 12 though I'll settle for Hibiki harmony .

Kamiki is also very good amd is maybe $70

Woodford Reserve isn't really so high of a rye % mashbill (18%), though I can understand that feeling a bit high if you don't like rye, lol. It actually has the same mashbill as Angel's Envy and Old Forester, believe it or not (though the Woodford has a little bit more alcohol %).

For anyone curious, here are some popular/common whiskey mashbills:

Jack Daniels: 80% Corn, 8% Rye,12% Barley
Old Forester: 72% Corn, 18% Rye, 10% Barley
Woodford Reserve: 72% Corn, 18% Rye, 10% Barley
Bulleit Bourbon: 68% Corn, 28% Rye, 4% Barley
George ****el: 84% Corn, 8% Rye, 8% Barley
Elijah Craig: 78% Corn,10% Rye, 12% Barley
Jim Beam: 75% Corn, 13% Rye, 12% Barley
Bakers: 75% Corn, 13% Rye, 12% Barley
**** Creek: 75% Corn, 13% Rye, 12% Barley
Old Grandad: 63% Corn, 27% Rye, 10% Barley
Wild Turkey: 75% Corn, 13% Rye, 12% Barley
Makers Mark: 70% Corn 16% Wheat, 14% Barley
Four Roses Single Barrel: 60% Corn, 35% Rye, 5% Barley

What are some of your favorite liquor stores (other than Total Wine)?

I'm not looking for some mythical honey-hole with BTAC and other rare allocated stuff at MSRP.......just want to find some stores that offer a good selection for fair prices. I'm tired of finding nice bottles only to see a price tag that is essentially secondary (3-4x MSRP).

Located in South Miami, but willing to venture up to Broward to find good deals.
If you like Bookers the Big Daddy's on Kendall by the Flannigans has it at close to MSRP pretty often (haven't been in the store in a month or so, not sure what's there right now)

Advertisement
The problem with Bookers IS the MSRP......they keep raising it.......now, even good stores that don't inflate prices still have to price it at $89.99 or more. I have a hard time justifying a lot of bourbons at that price point......you can get some very good (and much older) scotch at that price.

Woodford Reserve isn't really so high of a rye % mashbill (18%), though I can understand that feeling a bit high if you don't like rye, lol. It actually has the same mashbill as Angel's Envy and Old Forester, believe it or not (though the Woodford has a little bit more alcohol %).

For anyone curious, here are some popular/common whiskey mashbills:

Jack Daniels: 80% Corn, 8% Rye,12% Barley
Old Forester: 72% Corn, 18% Rye, 10% Barley
Woodford Reserve: 72% Corn, 18% Rye, 10% Barley
Bulleit Bourbon: 68% Corn, 28% Rye, 4% Barley
George ****el: 84% Corn, 8% Rye, 8% Barley
Elijah Craig: 78% Corn,10% Rye, 12% Barley
Jim Beam: 75% Corn, 13% Rye, 12% Barley
Bakers: 75% Corn, 13% Rye, 12% Barley
**** Creek: 75% Corn, 13% Rye, 12% Barley
Old Grandad: 63% Corn, 27% Rye, 10% Barley
Wild Turkey: 75% Corn, 13% Rye, 12% Barley
Makers Mark: 70% Corn 16% Wheat, 14% Barley
Four Roses Single Barrel: 60% Corn, 35% Rye, 5% Barley
This chart makes sense with my tastes for bourbon. The three that stand out the most that i dislike are Old Grand Dad, Bulleit and most of all Four Roses....cant stand Four Roses. Ive had Woodford, Woodford Double Oaked and one of the Old Forester Statesmen bottles and i could tolerate them...same parent company so more than likely the same mashbill.

Ok. I’ve had both of those. It’s really a personal tastes thing.
Yes sir! Definitely a personal tastes thing. My sweet spot for most bourbons is 9-12 year old( anything older starts going the other way for me), 100 proof minimum and most importantly a low rye mashbill.

Take **** Creek for example. Ive had access to KC from 9-15 year and from 100- full barrel proof. The best that ive had is around 11 to 12 year full barrel proof. After 12 it starts getting more of a "bite" to me.
Find the bourbons that you like. As i said earlier , i work for Beam and know a lot of people at Buffalo Trace.....most of those guys will tell you that the best bourbon they make is Eagle Rare and Weller 12 year( same as Pappy lot b ).

Advertisement
Yes sir! Definitely a personal tastes thing. My sweet spot for most bourbons is 9-12 year old( anything older starts going the other way for me), 100 proof minimum and most importantly a low rye mashbill.

Take **** Creek for example. Ive had access to KC from 9-15 year and from 100- full barrel proof. The best that ive had is around 11 to 12 year full barrel proof. After 12 it starts getting more of a "bite" to me.
Find the bourbons that you like. As i said earlier , i work for Beam and know a lot of people at Buffalo Trace.....most of those guys will tell you that the best bourbon they make is Eagle Rare and Weller 12 year( same as Pappy lot b ).
I’m not there on proof yet. Too newbie. I’ve had Eagle Rare. like Michters and I’ve had some of the good old Forester ones.... even tried the 1920. I’ve been drinking aged rum lately and it’s hard for me to go back to bourbon right now.

If you like Bookers the Big Daddy's on Kendall by the Flannigans has it at close to MSRP pretty often (haven't been in the store in a month or so, not sure what's there right now)
What do you recommend with curry & **** while the UNC game is on? Stick with a high proof bourbon or is it strictly Popov?

I’m not there on proof yet. Too newbie. I’ve had Eagle Rare. like Michters and I’ve had some of the good old Forester ones.... even tried the 1920. I’ve been drinking aged rum lately and it’s hard for me to go back to bourbon right now.
I like Michters! Had the Michters US1 and the 10 year. Michters is unique that they distill and barrel their bourbon at a much lower proof than most..a little over a 100 proof if i remember correctly.

I like Michters! Had the Michters US1 and the 10 year. Michters is unique that they distill and barrel their bourbon at a much lower proof than most..a little over a 100 proof if i remember correctly.
I think the US1 is 80. That’s the one I really like. If they have another one, I’ll try it. Maybe I just need to sack up and give that 1920 another try to make @Dr.L.ThugU proud.

Advertisement
Back