Bottomline: Not a Cookie Cutter Analysis

Reasons why we lost:

1. Offensive Line: They really screwed us the entire game. Kaaya did not play well but it's obvious that this position group is our weakest, HANDS DOWN! Running game is putrid and they just all around are a very below average power 5 line.

2. Pennalties: Berrios's facemask, Coley's false start, Darling's hold....we had the opportunities but did not convert. Good teams play disciplined throughout the entire game.

3. Kaaya: There are two factions on this board it seems like. The first thinks Kaaya sucks and the other thinks hes really good. The answer lies in between. He is a solid qb but not elite by any stretch of the imagination. Is not mobile, lacks pocket awareness, and struggles to stay consistent with accuracy throughout the game. He will win you some games but lose you others because of that lack of consistency. It is sad, but the gods honest truth.

4. Recievers: They seemed blanketed all night, could not create as much separation as they should. We need to improve there. Also, a couple of drops obviously hurt us.

5. Defense got gassed: You cannot expect them to hold FSU all game, the offense left them out to dry with multiple three and outs and we paid the price for it. You could tell this was the case when FSU began to run the ball at will in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

6. Richt's playcalling: I think its obvious but Richt is also very inconsistent. Some plays, I'm like "alright Richt, good call", and others I am completely scratching my head. We ran exclusively up the middle all night and got blown up every time. We need to vary our run game significantly. Also he should have elected to go with the onside kick at the end.

7. Longsnapper: Ya...well this goes without saying. Very poor snap and ya....

Overall: Let's be honest with ourselves, our team is way better than the past couple of years but were just not quite there. We lack solid players at some key positions and Richt simply got outcoached in the second half. It hurts, but it is what it is. Keep your heads up Cane fans, I do believe there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Really? Who would have guessed?

Advertisement
I wish we can post this somewhere on the site. This is exactly as I saw it. The playcalling was the least of the issues... Our offensive line got absolutely ***-raped by their 1-technique monsters and then on the edge by not very good D-ends.

If the O-line gets ANY push, we win that game. Richt called the game how I would have... keep trying the run from different looks to set up the pass. He didn't expect that every look would make our O-line look like they were playing 4-a HS football.

FSU made the offense 1-dimensional and thats why we lost.

The FACT we were about to tie the game with an extra point basically shows that in spite of some of the worst O-line play in memory, we still played well enough to win.

I am ******* mad like the rest of you but think about playing in that ACC championship first rather than winning the whole **** thing.

Reasons why we lost:

1. Offensive Line: They really screwed us the entire game. Kaaya did not play well but it's obvious that this position group is our weakest, HANDS DOWN! Running game is putrid and they just all around are a very below average power 5 line.

2. Pennalties: Berrios's facemask, Coley's false start, Darling's hold....we had the opportunities but did not convert. Good teams play disciplined throughout the entire game.

3. Kaaya: There are two factions on this board it seems like. The first thinks Kaaya sucks and the other thinks hes really good. The answer lies in between. He is a solid qb but not elite by any stretch of the imagination. Is not mobile, lacks pocket awareness, and struggles to stay consistent with accuracy throughout the game. He will win you some games but lose you others because of that lack of consistency. It is sad, but the gods honest truth.

4. Recievers: They seemed blanketed all night, could not create as much separation as they should. We need to improve there. Also, a couple of drops obviously hurt us.

5. Defense got gassed: You cannot expect them to hold FSU all game, the offense left them out to dry with multiple three and outs and we paid the price for it. You could tell this was the case when FSU began to run the ball at will in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

6. Richt's playcalling: I think its obvious but Richt is also very inconsistent. Some plays, I'm like "alright Richt, good call", and others I am completely scratching my head. We ran exclusively up the middle all night and got blown up every time. We need to vary our run game significantly. Also he should have elected to go with the onside kick at the end.

Overall: Let's be honest with ourselves, our team is way better than the past couple of years but were just not quite there. We lack solid players at some key positions and Richt simply got outcoached in the second half. It hurts, but it is what it is. Keep your heads up Cane fans, I do believe there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

lol you would be suprised by some posters ignorance.

Reasons why we lost:

lol you would be suprised by some posters ignorance.

You would be surprised by some posters prescience.

I wish we can post this somewhere on the site. This is exactly as I saw it. The playcalling was the least of the issues... Our offensive line got absolutely ***-raped by their 1-technique monsters and then on the edge by not very good D-ends.

If the O-line gets ANY push, we win that game. Richt called the game how I would have... keep trying the run from different looks to set up the pass. He didn't expect that every look would make our O-line look like they were playing 4-a HS football.

The FACT we were about to tie the game with an extra point basically shows that in spite of some of the worst O-line play in memory, we still played well enough to win.

I am ******* mad like the rest of you but think about playing in that ACC championship first rather than winning the whole **** thing.

The playcalling was atrocious and, quite frankly, has me scared ****less.

The OL is bad, but it's not "jailbreak on every snap" bad. It's functional, especially with our skill talent. Richt did not optimize the talent he had and attack the weaknesses of FSU.

Advertisement
We don't have the oline or RB talent to establish a run game from the jump. We have to use tempo and throw the ball around to soften the D up to be able to run effectively later in games.

The OL is bad, but it's not "jailbreak on every snap" bad. It's functional, especially with our skill talent. Richt did not optimize the talent he had and attack the weaknesses of FSU.
Lmao at the play calling was the least of our problems.

1st and 10 - run up the middle
2nd and 9 - run up the middle
3rd and 7 - Pass

Rinse repeat

I am ****ing mad like the rest of you but think about playing in that ACC championship first rather than winning the whole **** thing.

3rd and 7 - Pass

Rinse repeat

It was not good but Richt was trying to give the defense a break, they were getting gassed. And our OL pass protection was horrible and we all know how Kaaya performs under pressure.

Advertisement

I am ****ing mad like the rest of you but think about playing in that ACC championship first rather than winning the whole **** thing.

3rd and 7 - Pass

Rinse repeat

It was not good but Richt was trying to give the defense a break, they were getting gassed. And our OL pass protection was horrible and we all know how Kaaya performs under pressure.
You give the defense a breather by moving the chains not by throwing up all over yourself against an atrocious defense. He had no answers and coached scared.

We DO NOT have the depth FSU has.

We also could not tackle well in the second half. I attribute a lot of that to being gassed but still...no excuse for allowing players 3-5 yards after initial contact.

I know the freshman LB's are awesome but they are still freshman. And then you have 3 freshman come in a start over guys that have been here that is bad depth and a talent issue. We have Grace, Young, and AQM and we aren't as gassed. People act like FSU isn't littered with 4 and 5 star players just because they are having issues this year. They are going to give us their all every time.

3rd and 7 - Pass

Rinse repeat

You give the defense a breather by moving the chains not by throwing up all over yourself against an atrocious defense. He had no answers and coached scared.

Yes you do. When your OL is protecting or your QB doesn't cave under pressure or your WR's get seperation or when your WR's don't kill drives by stupid penalties or when you have a mobile QB so the defense doesn't stack the LB's on your tight ends all day long.

Bottom line....Mark Richt is absolute dog **** as a play caller. If this little escapade is a package deal I'll be starting up the "Fire Mark Richt" thread in the near future.

Lmfao. Good luck with that.

Richt is here for the long, long haul. We need to pray he improves as a play caller.

Advertisement
If kaaya doesnt throw that pic we have all the momentum going away and we win.
Kaaya threw the game away with that pick and simultaneously placed a magnifying glass on every other aspect of the game.

What holding call on Darling? If we are talking about the long TD by Walton that was called back that holding was on Tyree. And sad thing about it is that it had zero effect on the play.

But Darling does not get a pass from me. Yes he is playing out of position. However I have never seen a LT just resort to cut blocking because he knows that's the only possible way he can stop an edge rusher. It was god awful technique and he is going to get Brad killed with that type of play.

I know we lost but it was refreshing to see us get our **** together at the end when the game was on the line

Huge stop by defense.
Finally berrios with a big play
Touchdown to tie it.

****** offensive performance overall but it was nice to see us finally come back with fight at the end of a close game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You see these penalties because the team doesn't have the discipline that the great Canes teams of 2001 and 1986 had. Jimmy Johnson would have reamed Tyree a new ******* for that penalty, then put him on the second team just on general ******* principle. Coley would have had his head taken off by other players.

This team isn't to the point where the PLAYERS are holding each other accountable yet. That's why Coley is making those mental mistakes.

It starts at the top. Richt needs to start with accountability. Stupidity penalties which cost the team need to cost you time on the field.

I know we lost but it was refreshing to see us get our **** together at the end when the game was on the line

Huge stop by defense.
Touchdown to tie it.

****ty offensive performance overall but it was nice to see us finally come back with fight at the end of a close game.

All that is true.

But the Great Canes Teams of ages past could close the deal. This one can't do that yet. It will. Just not yet.

Huge stop by defense.
Touchdown to tie it.

****ty offensive performance overall but it was nice to see us finally come back with fight at the end of a close game.

All that is true.

But the Great Canes Teams of ages past could close the deal. This one can't do that yet. It will. Just not yet.
100% agree

We will be there but idk why people think we can go from the team last year to best team in the nation over night. It's gonna take some time people

We have the right staff and he's recruiting excellent. Just a matter of tine

Not to mention the season isn't over. We will still probably win 10 games at least and win the coastal with a shot at Clemson in acc championship game

Anyone who says 10 wins is a disappointment and blames richt is crazy

The design/gameplan on O was just poor. knowing we have a weak O line and NFL caliber TEs and QB that thrives on rhythm, we should have killed them in the middle of the field and worn their D out. The OC and Richt did not do their best to put us in a position to win what should have been a pretty simple win. I'll give him to next week to fix it before I get triggered.

Advertisement
Back