Bottomline: Not a Cookie Cutter Analysis

Genghis Cane

Chicken Wing Connoisseur
Reasons why we lost:

1. Offensive Line: They really screwed us the entire game. Kaaya did not play well but it's obvious that this position group is our weakest, HANDS DOWN! Running game is putrid and they just all around are a very below average power 5 line.

2. Pennalties: Berrios's facemask, Coley's false start, Darling's hold....we had the opportunities but did not convert. Good teams play disciplined throughout the entire game.

3. Kaaya: There are two factions on this board it seems like. The first thinks Kaaya sucks and the other thinks hes really good. The answer lies in between. He is a solid qb but not elite by any stretch of the imagination. Is not mobile, lacks pocket awareness, and struggles to stay consistent with accuracy throughout the game. He will win you some games but lose you others because of that lack of consistency. It is sad, but the gods honest truth.

4. Recievers: They seemed blanketed all night, could not create as much separation as they should. We need to improve there. Also, a couple of drops obviously hurt us.

5. Defense got gassed: You cannot expect them to hold FSU all game, the offense left them out to dry with multiple three and outs and we paid the price for it. You could tell this was the case when FSU began to run the ball at will in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

6. Richt's playcalling: I think its obvious but Richt is also very inconsistent. Some plays, I'm like "alright Richt, good call", and others I am completely scratching my head. We ran exclusively up the middle all night and got blown up every time. We need to vary our run game significantly. Also he should have elected to go with the onside kick at the end.

7. Longsnapper: Ya...well this goes without saying. Very poor snap and ya....

Overall: Let's be honest with ourselves, our team is way better than the past couple of years but were just not quite there. We lack solid players at some key positions and Richt simply got outcoached in the second half. It hurts, but it is what it is. Keep your heads up Cane fans, I do believe there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We also could not tackle well in the second half. I attribute a lot of that to being gassed but still...no excuse for allowing players 3-5 yards after initial contact.

Advertisement
Past teams would lose the next three games. CMR will either prove he makes a difference or that UGA was right.

I can't say Richt got out coached. 1 group of players made plays one group didn't.

1 group of Oline protected their QB and opened holes for their RB
1 group of WRs got open
1 QB took big hits and kept performing.

All plays look like bad calls when your Oline sucks.

The O-line is atrocious. Like its not even funny how bad they especially are in critical downs.

I can't say Richt got out coached. 1 group of players made plays one group didn't.

1 group of Oline protected their QB and opened holes for their RB
1 group of WRs got open
1 QB took big hits and kept performing.

All plays look like bad calls when your Oline sucks.

1 Coach made half-time adjustments and 1 didn't. ******* pains me to say but Jimbo is a better coach than Richt and proved it tonight

Richt's O scored 6 points in the 2nd half and that was mainly due to a Berrios return. 6 ******* Points against FSU's garbage defense. Richt was outcoached plain and simple

Advertisement
The int in the end zone gave them life, they were about to quit

Bingo. Just an inexplicably bad throw/decision.

don't forget the false start by Coley just before the INT. Put us in 1st 15 and took away the run as an option. The momentum turned from that point on.

You're right but where's the mental toughness and leadership on the team to come back from that?

Advertisement
I think the real problem with Richts play calling is that he's unwilling to call multiple passes in a row. Basically he's too forceful with the run, instead of just going with the flow of the game. He's trying to do too much power runs that our OL just can't open up holes on. If he starts opening up the offense more, and not handcuffing our offense to the power run game we will be fine the rest of the year. And I'm not saying we need to be in more shotgun but we definitely don't need to be running it as much, especially when its getting completely shut down.

Advertisement
The int in the end zone gave them life, they were about to quit

Bingo. Just an inexplicably bad throw/decision.

don't forget the false start by Coley just before the INT. Put us in 1st 15 and took away the run as an option. The momentum turned from that point on.

You're right but where's the mental toughness and leadership on the team to come back from that?

Zero leadership on the team and it's sad.

Advertisement
Back