Board Experts James Williams

Who knows this cat? Can he conceptually take on playing multiple position such as Safety, LB, Nickle, CB like Simmons did at Clemson? How smart a player is he? Simmons was a football brain, is Williams on the same mental level as Simmons? If so, let him do his thing out there at whatever position we need him at.
Thanks,

Advertisement
We need to bring in a guy like muschamp, he'll bring legit coaches with him who know how to get after it on defense. Guy isn't built to be a head coach but nobody can deny his success as a dc
I agree, tdub85. Get ******* Muschamp here as a DC and we take the next step. Pay the man. What we need is right there in front of us and most will not see it.

He’s a Swiss Army knife if developed & utilized properly.

The different looks you can run with him in pre snap alignments would make him a nightmare for offenses to account for.

We just need to find a **** DC that actually knows what to do with a talent like this lol.
Once again, exactly bruh. Any DC worth their weight in donkey **** knows that you can disguise soooo many coverages pre-snap with a dude like JW. Chase too. You run those 2 out there with cats like Brooks, Chantz, LT, etc., and you can show this and do that all game long...

Looked at his film, yes he’s a freak for his size but too slow for DB. Reminds me of Rousseau - played safety and WR in HS and then became a super athletic DE here. Williams is battling to stay 218 lbs, that won’t last long. He’ll quickly be up to 230-240 here. My hunch is UM is telling him what he wants to hear (safety) but after he struggles to keep up with the speed/quickness at DB, will push him to play DE. Hence why they didn’t pursue another DE in this class.
If he doesn’t stay at DB it definitely won’t be because of lack of speed

Advertisement
Looked at his film, yes he’s a freak for his size but too slow for DB. Reminds me of Rousseau - played safety and WR in HS and then became a super athletic DE here. Williams is battling to stay 218 lbs, that won’t last long. He’ll quickly be up to 230-240 here. My hunch is UM is telling him what he wants to hear (safety) but after he struggles to keep up with the speed/quickness at DB, will push him to play DE. Hence why they didn’t pursue another DE in this class.
Man stop! That man ain’t gon play no **** DE here! In some packages he may rush off the edge but he won’t be a full time DE here! Be4 he let them move him to DE permanently he will hit the portal. They didn’t go after another DE bc they already have two in Davis & Ishmael & they will hit the portal 4 a DE with experience

Who knows this cat? Can he conceptually take on playing multiple position such as Safety, LB, Nickle, CB like Simmons did at Clemson? How smart a player is he? Simmons was a football brain, is Williams on the same mental level as Simmons? If so, let him do his thing out there at whatever position we need him at.
Thanks,
I know him.

He can do all what Simmons did. Not as athletic but likely a higher football i.Q. at the same age as Simmons. James has been playing top nothc balld own here for like 6+ years.

Dont think him as a lb would work as he has never really played it...and we dont have the coache sto develop him or the scheme at lb where he would work long term. James aint tryna take on blockers all day lol Hi slength and range is a true plus...also he has real ball skills. Go check his offensive tape last year.

I got his ceiling as Simmons and his floor at the fsu kid like @Liberty City El posted.
He's the jewel of the class and if our coaches on d ever earned there paycheck they would find real ways to utilize him and play to his strengths

Yeah but how fast is he really? 4.4? 4.5? 4.6?

I see the Isaiah Simmons comparison. But Simmons can fly. He’s faster than Derwin James. I was never overwhelmed by Derwin James.

But in the RPO game he might be more useful at LB with his height.

I see the Isaiah Simmons comparison. But Simmons can fly. He’s faster than Derwin James. I was never overwhelmed by Derwin James.

I'd say high 4.6-4.7

Simmons is a jamaican track kid. It wasnt by a coincidence he ran what he ran and it wasnt anything Clemson did to get him there. He ran track since he was a young kid.

Advertisement
View attachment 137909

His best potential is in the same role as these athletic freakish types, being a Hybrid that lines up all over the field.

Even D$‘s Derwin James comp still fits with this philosophy because Derwin had over 200 snaps at LB & CB in college.

Basically, use JW as a multifaceted Defensive weapon, keeping him at just Safety IMO doesn’t utilize his ability to the fullest.

His position should be DEFENSE & his assignment should be EVERYTHING.

Makes no sense to have a talented freak athlete & debilitate him by just playing in him the Deep third.

Smh too bad Manny and this defense Doesn’t believe in versatility and moving players around like those teams.

He has no testing numbers available because I don’t think he’s camped much since being in HS, but eye test he looks in the 4.5 range.

I’m curious to see what his long speed looks like, but his short area burst & quickness jump out on his Senior tape.

What’s been a real surprise about JW has been his improvement from his Junior to Senior year, this Senior season he played with a lot more aggression & explosiveness attacking the backfield & becoming a more physical tackler.

His Junior year he looked like a big finesse player that wanted no business near the LOS, but this year he’s definitely played with a chip on his shoulder.

I'd say high 4.6-4.7

Simmons is a jamaican track kid. It wasnt by a coincidence he ran what he ran and it wasnt anything Clemson did to get him there. He ran track since he was a young kid.

Just checked. Derwin James is (6-1 215) smaller and ran a 4.47 at the combine.

I just don’t see this kid at safety.

Advertisement
Diaz will 100% have him rotate with some other guy at Striker. Rousseau/Njoku path. Redshirt one year. Play one or two years. Gone

Ideally I see him in the striker role. That lines him up near the box, in the slot, and you can rotate him deep in certain alignments if the DC knows what he’s doing (hint: Baker doesnt).
Give me Lovie Smith. He knows what to do with defensive talent. Forget the Illinois thing, this guy can coach some defense, he handles LB coach duties and DC duties, Patke is ST only, and let Lovie pick his own CB coach (sorry Mike smh). The failed Illini experience might actually benefit us because hopefully he won't be crazy expensive. We have to nail this DC hire with a guy that knows how to get it done defensively, Lovie, Muschamp, Charlie Strong type guys.

Advertisement
Im not sure what Derwin James has to do with him or our scheme?.

What is “our” scheme? Lol.

Derwin Jane’s was fast enough for any scheme.

If Willians runs a 4.6 - 4.7 then he’s too slow for safety. At that speed he compares more favorably with Nasirildeen who I think is mediocre and low impact.

What is “our” scheme? Lol.

Derwin Jane’s was fast enough for any scheme.

If Willians runs a 4.6 - 4.7 then he’s too slow for safety. At that speed he compares more favorably with Nasirildeen who I think is mediocre and low impact.
that’s not too slow for a safety.... lol do you know how slow Amari Carter and Robert Knowles are?? **** even Vaughn Telemaque and Ray Ray Armstrong.. Gurvan Hall is slow as **** too. If they can play safety the entire CFB careers so can James Williams

He’s a Swiss Army knife if developed & utilized properly.

The different looks you can run with him in pre snap alignments would make him a nightmare for offenses to account for.

We just need to find a **** DC that actually knows what to do with a talent like this lol.
Yep. That's the critical question. A DC who's too into his own scheme will not figure out how best to use his players. Same issue whether the scheme is dorito or jail break. A DC who properly uses Williams (and C. Smith, who's also a big athlete) in different positions will make us much harder to plan for, and will help those guys demonstrate their abilities best.

Advertisement
Back