Board Discussion: QB recruiting

KW was not just a camp warrior, he earned his "high rating" from what he did against lessor competition at the high school level.

What he became at the college level also had to do with coaching and what surrounded him.

We can agree to disagree, but I think it was like Ryan Leaf from college to NFL, or maybe what Tua will experience from Alabama to Dolphins or Tim Coach to the Browns. He didn't take many sacks in high school...and when our OL faltered, he got shook. When a QB loses confidence and technique due to expecting to be hit....guess what is lost? lol...yep...instincts and poise. So....his fault too? absolutely....but like Tim Couch "lucking out and going to the Browns out of college, Wright just didn't have the time he needed. His fault for not overcoming, I'm just saying the kid had talent.

Forgot who said it before camps, but that he could throw a football threw a car wash without it getting wet. Watching his film too..."instincts and poise" under pressure did not seem to be missings. EVERYTHING seemed to collapse on him at UM, including a decent pocket.

UM

Wright played in the same HS league as Dorsey did. Gino Torretta played in division lower than them.

Wright’s HS league rival started Sam Keller (ASU and Neb Qb).

long story short the level of competition in Contra Costa county is pretty good.

Wright just wasn’t very good.

Advertisement
Rivals guys spoke to Davis's dad. The father said he is taking OV to Va Tech, Auburn and Miami. While Auburn leads, the father said it is a battle between Auburn and Miami. FWIW
the question is how much do we want him. Personally he’s the best fit, good arm that will get better as it gets stronger. Uber athletic but is a passer first, chip on his shoulder because of his size, etc but he’s behind McLaughlin and everybody else? Don’t know about that one. If you asked me who he compares to I would say Tyrod but I feel as if the staff offered by he was fit and that’s it.

Wright played in the same HS league as Dorsey did. Gino Torretta played in division lower than them.

Wright’s HS league rival started Sam Keller (ASU and Neb Qb).

long story short the level of competition in Contra Costa county is pretty good.

Wright just wasn’t very good.

From what I remember, he was pretty **** good in his Contra Costa County days...

I think KW is a great case study because it gets to what you need to consider in evaluating QB prospects.

People love the tools and measurables. Size, speed, arm strength (hard to improve a lot). They next focus on mechanics and accuracy (somewhat fixable). Then game results. Then leadership traits.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but the real threshold question for a QB, IMO, is how his mind reacts to pressure, fear and chaos. You can have everything going for you, but if your mind shuts in and you panic under pressure, you cannot be a good QB. You either make bad decisions throwing or bail too early or take sacks too often. Conversely, someone who is calm under these pressure situations, they can be a great QB even without all the ideal tools.

I don’t think you can expect to change someone’s cognitive and subconscious processes. So you have to have a view on this. Obviously, the kid has to also be above the bar on abilities. But without decisionmaking, it won‘t work. (This doesn’t mean IQ, either, though that is relevant to reading defenses.)

This is testable, also, though football in general and UM in particular aren’t advanced in this area. Some schools have used technology to assess decision-making for QBs. The military simulates some of these dynamics. You can measure adrenaline and panic responses.

In any case, we need to do more than look for physical abilities.

@LuCane

I think KW is a great case study because it gets to what you need to consider in evaluating QB prospects.

People love the tools and measurables. Size, speed, arm strength (hard to improve a lot). They next focus on mechanics and accuracy (somewhat fixable). Then game results. Then leadership traits.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but the real threshold question for a QB, IMO, is how his mind reacts to pressure, fear and chaos. You can have everything going for you, but if your mind shuts in and you panic under pressure, you cannot be a good QB. You either make bad decisions throwing or bail too early or take sacks too often. Conversely, someone who is calm under these pressure situations, they can be a great QB even without all the ideal tools.

I don’t think you can expect to change someone’s cognitive and subconscious processes. So you have to have a view on this. Obviously, the kid has to also be above the bar on abilities. But without decisionmaking, it won‘t work. (This doesn’t mean IQ, either, though that is relevant to reading defenses.)

This is testable, also, though football in general and UM in particular aren’t advanced in this area. Some schools have used technology to assess decision-making for QBs. The military simulates some of these dynamics. You can measure adrenaline and panic responses.

In any case, we need to do more than look for physical abilities.

@LuCane

100%. Ability to quickly and accurately process information while under serious duress and when the **** hits the fan (because the plan quickly went to ****).

I am looking for Navy Seal type traits in my QBs (with less at stake, of course). Most of the other stuff can be coached up or worked up to some degree.

Advertisement
I'd take JT Daniels with a quickness. Dude was a stud coming out of HS and lost his job due to injury, though Slovis has clearly earned the starting role.

Kyle Wright couldn’t even properly beat out Kirby Freeman on that team! What else need be said? Kyle Wright was an awful QB. No offense to him, prkbably a great guy. But not even a decent Qb. People who blame his ineptitude on others are delusional, IMO.
I don’t disagree Wright was overrated and misevaluated, by everyone. I am saying he would perform better supported by a roster of future NFL talent. And to be clear, his limitations would hinder the team.

Unlike Kenny, whose strengths as a leader and decision-maker improved the team around him, despite his limitations as an NFL prospect.

I don’t disagree Wright was overrated and misevaluated, by everyone. I am saying he would perform better supported by a roster of future NFL talent. And to be clear, his limitations would hinder the team.

Unlike Kenny, whose strengths as a leader and decision-maker improved the team around him, despite his limitations as an NFL prospect.
Wright wouldn't start on a decent CFB team. He was terrible. The guys you put around him would have helped anyone but Wright could hardly beat out Kirby Freeman. Why not just assume the NFL roster guys would make Kirby Freeman better and he'd beat out KW?

Advertisement
Not sure why the staff hasn’t contacted Santino again but this probably would be a real good time to get back into contact. Probably should’ve offered him.

Wright wouldn't start on a decent CFB team. He was terrible. The guys you put around him would have helped anyone but Wright could hardly beat out Kirby Freeman. Why not just assume the NFL roster guys would make Kirby Freeman better and he'd beat out KW?
Wright showed promise in 2005, his first year as as starter. He led the ACC with 18 TDs and finished second in passing efficiency. Honorable mention All-ACC. Not great by Miami standards, of course. He played in only 9 games in 2006, and lost the starting position to Freeman. Wright started 2007 as the backup but took over for Freeman after two games. Threw 12 TDs and was done.

5,835 passing yards, 38 TDs, 31 INTs. Rather pedestrian and a bust given his recruiting hype.

couple of lesser known prospects that fit Lashlee's criterion, have good upside, and could be good fits for this offense. I'd like to see us take a very hard look at these guys, (three are out on the west coast, and one is from texas).

We would be players for all of them, and I think the first two guys on the list are particularly interesting, but we should look at all of them:

Clay MIllen (WA)
Kai Horton (TX)
Chayden Peery (CA)
Cole Lourd - Brentwood (CA)

Good stuff.

Go Canes

Obviously the lack of product is hurting us here on this front. Garrett is committed to LSU and we’re in contact with Milroe but there’s no way UT is going to let him leave the state. I don’t believe the staff are big fans of Davis and now we’re talking projects even with McLaughlin who’s probably going to NC State.

My opinion, we should start doing homework on JT Daniels and look bring him in to battle for the job next year. Out of all the QBs he’s probably got the most talent and if Lashlee got something out of Shane Buechele then JT would be a walk in the park.

What’s everybody else’s opinions on the matter?
hoping TVD is the truth

Advertisement
these kids have paid attention the last 4 years with our vanilla o . I look for things to change with a wide open offense and recruiting will pick up . Stat chasers will Jump on board if we score and score big

Advertisement
Good news for UM, in terms of if Coach Lashlee decides to go after 2021 QB Clay Millen ( who's Top 4 are Colo, Ind, Org St, and Ariz. All but Colorado have QB'S committed for 2021).

Go Canes
I don't think he's interested... He's going big game hunting and if he can't he likely will flip some random 4 ⭐ QB commit like a McLaughlin or something in November

I don't think he's interested... He's going big game hunting and if he can't he likely will flip some random 4 ⭐ QB commit like a McLaughlin or something in November

Lashlee is naive if thinking he will land a high profile OOS QB without bags and especially considering UM'S offense is un proven. Where as Clay Millen is looking to commit some P5 that is high profile sight unseen. Not to mention Millen is a 4* QB that is no slouch either.

Go Canes

Lashlee is naive if thinking he will land a high profile OOS QB without bags and especially considering UM'S offense is un proven. Where as Clay Millen is looking to commit some P5 that is high profile sight unseen. Not to mention Millen is a 4* QB that is no slouch either.

Go Canes
I sure hope we offer soon

Don't know why all the Kyle Wright bashing

Guy played for 2 terrible HC, played for 3 different OC one of them being Nix, and as bad as you think Wright was he was 10x better than Kirby Freeman, the fact Shannon/Nix decided on him being the starter is ridiculous even though Freeman made one of the best throws a Miami QB has against FSU when he got laid out

Advertisement
Back