Board Discussion: QB recruiting

Zbrod95

Thank God for the Columbus Mafia
Obviously the lack of product is hurting us here on this front. Garrett is committed to LSU and we’re in contact with Milroe but there’s no way UT is going to let him leave the state. I don’t believe the staff are big fans of Davis and now we’re talking projects even with McLaughlin who’s probably going to NC State.

My opinion, we should start doing homework on JT Daniels and look bring him in to battle for the job next year. Out of all the QBs he’s probably got the most talent and if Lashlee got something out of Shane Buechele then JT would be a walk in the park.

What’s everybody else’s opinions on the matter?

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think if you go and take Daniels you still bring in an athlete type at QB who you could move to a different position in a year or two.

Miami could find itself very thin with depth depending on how things shakeout with one or two transferring out if they don’t win the job post King.

I think if you go and take Daniels you still bring in an athlete type at QB who you could move to a different position in a year or two.

Miami could find itself very thin with depth depending on how things shakeout with one or two transferring out if they don’t win the job post King.
Yea, take that kid from Texas and JT. Absolutely agree with you.

I'm less concerned about QB for a few reasons.

1. King and Lashlee are here. If Lashlee is able to turn this offense around and King becomes a household name that turns into a potential NFL QB darkhorse then that should open the flood gates. We'll likely be able to compete with some of the big names to bring in another talented transfer.

2. If the above is true then that likely means Lashlee will be able to turn one of our existing QBs into something post-King era. So one of Van Dyke, Matocha, or (doubtful) Tate/Perry turns into a legitimate QB for 2021 season.

3. If the opposite happens and King/Lashlee combo suck then it don't matter who we try to recruit. We'll suck regardless of who we bring in. Manny should get fired. Back to the drawing board.

Advertisement
If we can't get Milroe or someone of quality, I'd take JT. I'd take JT anyway. He's a great talent he should be a top priority

couple of lesser known prospects that fit Lashlee's criterion, have good upside, and could be good fits for this offense. I'd like to see us take a very hard look at these guys, (three are out on the west coast, and one is from texas).

We would be players for all of them, and I think the first two guys on the list are particularly interesting, but we should look at all of them:

Clay MIllen (WA)
Kai Horton (TX)
Chayden Peery (CA)
Cole Lourd - Brentwood (CA)

Four thoughts:

1. While this is nothing new, the fact that we don't have a QB committment shows where we really are in college football. QBs commit early and we can't get one. We may be losing head to heads to in conference peers like N.C. State and Virginia Tech.
2. I know nothing about Daniels' interest, or lack, in Miami BUT Diaz' best annual trick has been getting what appear to be about the best transfers on the market.
3. Should Daniels come and sit this year, he is eligible next year. So we hope he or Van Dyke is the starter as we wouldn't really even have anyone else. Daniels isn't coming here to sit. If he wins, do we lose Van Dyke? And don't give me "Who cares, best guy!" when you have a very thin QB room.
4. A bunch of posters are in love with Lashlee, and I hope he's the real deal, but he has to be a big part of delivering us a 2021 quarterback. That pressure is no right now.

Last edited:
We haven't had a good QB since Dorsey. Our bad coaching and bad offenses didn't help. Morris and Kaaya were serviceable. But this was once QBU. We had Kelly, Kosar, Testaverde, Walsh, Erickson and Torretta in sequence. 1 Hall of Famer, 2 Heismans and 3 guys who won National Titles.

With QBs, it's truly about evaluations, development, scheme and team. We need leaders. Not future HOFers but capable guys. Walsh, Erickson or Dorsey would look great out there. Torretta too.

Advertisement
Obviously the lack of product is hurting us here on this front. Garrett is committed to LSU and we’re in contact with Milroe but there’s no way UT is going to let him leave the state. I don’t believe the staff are big fans of Davis and now we’re talking projects even with McLaughlin who’s probably going to NC State.

My opinion, we should start doing homework on JT Daniels and look bring him in to battle for the job next year. Out of all the QBs he’s probably got the most talent and if Lashlee got something out of Shane Buechele then JT would be a walk in the park.

What’s everybody else’s opinions on the matter?

If D'Eriq King has the year I think he will have, then Miami is going to become the destination for transfer QBs like Oklahoma. It gives Lashlee room to work with projects, who don't have to start immediately. If they pan out, great. If not, there will almost always be a Jalen Hurts or D'Eriq King looking to make a change. With the NIL rules coming into effect, Miami is a terrific place and media market for a QB trying to raise his profile. Now we'll have the offense to match. That being said, I also think Miami will have a much easier time landing top tier QBs once it proves it has an offense that can turn QBs into Heisman candidates.

What makes you think this?
Just a feeling. It make no sense to have what looks like a perfect fit below McLaughlin in my eyes. It just doesn’t really add up unless they simply are looking at him because he’s a fit and athletic.

We haven't had a good QB since Dorsey. Our bad coaching and bad offenses didn't help. Morris and Kaaya were serviceable. But this was once QBU. We had Kelly, Kosar, Testaverde, Walsh, Erickson and Torretta in sequence. 1 Hall of Famer, 2 Heismans and 3 guys who won National Titles.

With QBs, it's truly about evaluations, development, scheme and team. We need leaders. Not future HOFers but capable guys. Walsh, Erickson or Dorsey would look great out there. Torretta too.

To be fair, we haven't really had much of an OL since Dorsey either.

Let's not forget Wright was the #1 pro set QB in the nation and once he started behind Berlin, he spent as much time on his *** as Patrick Ramsey with the Redskins under Spurrier.

Advertisement
To be fair, we haven't really had much of an OL since Dorsey either.

Let's not forget Wright was the #1 pro set QB in the nation and once he started behind Berlin, he spent as much time on his *** as Patrick Ramsey with the Redskins under Spurrier.
Wright was terrible. Overrated. Bad evaluation. Hyping his rating does nothing for me.

Braylon Braxton from same TX school as new TE commit Arroyo. Go with him or D Davis from TX for our '21 class QB. We have not proven anything (offensively) so these big name QBs are hesitant to commit, mostly due to the fact that QBs seem to decommit ALOT LESS than other positions. I ultimately see us landing D Davis from Houston North Shore but he's told as part of the deal that WE WILL be searching for a grad transfer QB after the 2020 season.

Now, if we don't initiate a search for a grad transfer QB for '21 then that tells us that one of the QBs on our roster has figured it out in Lashlee's O, enough to the point that he feels he can win big with him. Because if the O pops in 2020 grad transfer QBs will be lining up to be our starting QB, even with the looming initiation vs Bama to open the '21 season.

Wright was terrible. Overrated. Bad evaluation. Hyping his rating does nothing for me.

Yeah, he was pretty bad at throwing from his knees.

Honestly, he heard feet and that's why you thought he was terrible. I believe you insert Kyle Wright into QB in 2000-2003, he's not as bad as you think he is.....he got hit so much early on, he never got back to normal and was rushing **** long before he had to when he had time....

Advertisement

Honestly, he heard feet and that's why you thought he was terrible. I believe you insert Kyle Wright into QB in 2000-2003, he's not as bad as you think he is.....he got hit so much early on, he never got back to normal and was rushing **** long before he had to when he had time....
I agree with you. When Wright had time to throw he was pretty good. At that point our coaching staff was their in body only. Wright did not have the support that Dorsey did. I think the world of Dorsey but Wright would have put up big numbers with the Oline Dorsey had. I don't think he was overrated at all. He came in at the beginning of our sh*t show.

Wright may have not been a leader but Miami never looked to the QB as a leader. It was always a guy like Reed, Morgan, Moss, and Irvin to name a few. I know we saw Dorsey yell on the sidelines a few times but guys like Ed Reed helped to lead that Championship team. The difference again is the fact that Wright was on teams that didn't have the Alpha male. No accountability.

Sorry, he was just terrible. No instincts, no poise. The excuses made by UM fans are absurd. It’s denial. Jacory, morris, kaaya all were much better than wright. Berlin was better. KW was a camp warrior who looked perfect in shorts a la Art Sitkowski, and who also like Art was not good at making decisions under pressure. And hence he was not a good Qb.

I will never understand why fans can’t trust their own eyes. So what if Wright was highly rated. He wasn’t good, the rating was wrong, and our eval was wrong. It happens.

Sorry, he was just terrible. No instincts, no poise. The excuses made by UM fans are absurd. It’s denial. Jacory, morris, kaaya all were much better than wright. Berlin was better. KW was a camp warrior who looked perfect in shorts a la Art Sitkowski, and who also like Art was not good at making decisions under pressure. And hence he was not a good Qb.

I will never understand why fans can’t trust their own eyes. So what if Wright was highly rated. He wasn’t good, the rating was wrong, and our eval was wrong. It happens.

KW was not just a camp warrior, he earned his "high rating" from what he did against lessor competition at the high school level.

What he became at the college level also had to do with coaching and what surrounded him.

We can agree to disagree, but I think it was like Ryan Leaf from college to NFL, or maybe what Tua will experience from Alabama to Dolphins or Tim Coach to the Browns. He didn't take many sacks in high school...and when our OL faltered, he got shook. When a QB loses confidence and technique due to expecting to be hit....guess what is lost? lol...yep...instincts and poise. So....his fault too? absolutely....but like Tim Couch "lucking out and going to the Browns out of college, Wright just didn't have the time he needed. His fault for not overcoming, I'm just saying the kid had talent.

Forgot who said it before camps, but that he could throw a football threw a car wash without it getting wet. Watching his film too..."instincts and poise" under pressure did not seem to be missings. EVERYTHING seemed to collapse on him at UM, including a decent pocket.

UM

Advertisement
Back