Bleak's Spring QB Evaluations

Advertisement
I don't mute people, you really shouldn't be inferring any level of respect by not being ignored. It is fun to watch the dumber ***** of our fan base embarrass themselves. You, being one of the apex dip ***** on the board at the moment, provide a decent amount of entertainment with what is either schtick, or painful idiocy.

Ding ding ding

As glad as I am that Richt is no longer our Head Coach - I was dreading this offseason - I can't belittle him with silly nicknames.

He moved us on as a football programme.
Bleh. I disagree. Most of pricht’s alleged success came with alfraud gluten’s players. Richt did little to celebrate. Golden had to deal with sanctions.

yeah, but outside of THAT.....

You must have missed my response. Up until the ACC championship game against Clemson- the twelfth game of the season- Rosier had 25 TDs, 5 rushing TDs, and 9 INTs. In total: 30 TDs, 9 INTs. Thats less than one interception per game. You think those are bad numbers?

Before Clemson he lost Herndon (#2 receiver) and Richards, and Richt did absolutely nothing to adjust the playcalliing to compensate. Pitt took away the run, and Miami could not move the ball (Rosier threw 2 TDs and no INTs in that game BTW). Richt didn't change the offense, and Clemson and Wisconsin forced Rosier to play catchup all day, he forced throws trying to generate offense. That led to a lot of picks in the championship game and the bowl game. When Miami led with the run and played with a lead, Rosier was a dependable game manager. Rosier was not turnover prone in 2017, despite fans now wanting to rewrite history in order to crap on him.

You must have missed my response. Up until the ACC championship game against Clemson- the twelfth game of the season- Rosier had 25 TDs, 5 rushing TDs, and 9 INTs. In total: 30 TDs, 9 INTs. Thats less than one interception per game. You think those are bad numbers?

Before Clemson he lost Herndon (#2 receiver) and Richards, and Richt did absolutely nothing to adjust the playcalliing to compensate. Pitt took away the run, and Miami could not move the ball (Rosier threw 2 TDs and no INTs in that game BTW). Richt didn't change the offense, and Clemson and Wisconsin forced Rosier to play catchup all day, he forced throws trying to generate offense. That led to a lot of picks in the championship game and the bowl game. When Miami led with the run and played with a lead, Rosier was a dependable game manager. Rosier was not turnover prone in 2017, despite fans now wanting to rewrite history in order to crap on him.

2 TDs, one came in garbage time after a onside kick

Advertisement
2 TDs, one came in garbage time after a onside kick

Doesn't change his numbers up until the championship game. Still only had 9 ints. Less than 1 pick per game. He didn't turn the ball over most of the season and defense did the rest. That's how we won 10 and made it to #2 in the country.

Too bad we cant make this wager, but I'd bet money that if this year the qb battle was between Perry, Williams, Martell, and Rosier, then Rosier would win the starting job because he took care of the ball during our 1st 10 win season in a decade. Turnovers are kryptonite to every coach, but especially a defensive one like Diaz. He would pick the qb who would be least likely to turn it over. Perry takes too many sacks and hangs the ball out to get swatted away, Williams seems to be making bad reads and throwing picks (both last year in practice and this year), Martell is a question mark. Enos would pick the qb who most resemble the Homeless Man's Jalen Hurts- that would be Rosier. A first year defensive minded coach will take a solid game manager over uncertain potential 99 out of 100 times.

Put Rosier in a Dan Enos offense that gets Rosier easier throws (motion!), set up pass with the run, take care of ball, Diaz's defense plays as well as it did last two years- Miami wins 11 games in 2019.

Last edited:
Doesn't change his numbers up until the championship game. Still only had 9 ints. Less than 1 pick per game. He didn't turn the ball over most of the season and defense did the rest. That's how we won 10 and made it to #2 in the country.

Too bad we cant make this wager, but I'd bet money that if this year the qb battle was between Perry, Williams, Martell, and Rosier, then Rosier would win the starting job because he took care of the ball during our 1st 10 win season in a decade. Turnovers are kryptonite to every coach, but especially a defensive one like Diaz. He would pick the qb who would be least likely to turn it over. Perry takes too many sacks and hangs the ball out to get swatted away, Williams seems to be making bad reads and throwing picks (both last year in practice and this year), Martell is a question mark. Enos would pick the qb who most resemble the Homeless Man's Jalen Hurts- that would be Rosier. A first year defensive minded coach will take a solid game manager over uncertain potential 99 out of 100 times.

Put Rosier in a Dan Enos offense that gets Rosier easier throws (motion!), set up pass with the run, take care of ball, Diaz's defense plays as well as it did last two years- Miami wins 11 games in 2019.

9 INTs against who? We played a soft schedule up until VT - 3 INT, and ND - he combined for less than 160 yards and the defense won us the game. Great he threw 6 INTs against the likes of UNC, Cuse, Toledo, etc

You have got to be kidding me. All 3 QBs are nailing throws Malik could only dream of hitting. Malik was barely able to keep Kosi on the bench last year and Kosi is head and shoulder better this year than he was last year.

9 INTs against who? We played a soft schedule up until VT - 3 INT, and ND - he combined for less than 160 yards and the defense won us the game. Great he threw 6 INTs against the likes of UNC, Cuse, Toledo, etc

Last I checked, Rosier didn't put together the schedule.

Defense won pretty much every game we played. Rosier had to hand the ball off, pick up a few first downs with his legs, make some easy throws, and not turn the ball over. That was a 10 win formula despite having a subpar offensive line and uncreative playcalling. Rosiers main mandate from Richt was "do not turn the ball over." I'll say it a third time: He averaged less than an INT per game until the ACC championship game. That was game #12 in the season.
Your last point is that he struggled against the top defenses. Now that is the kind of hard hitting analysis that keeps me coming back to this site.

Advertisement
I find all of these evaluations by everyone looking in from the outside interesting and entertaining....and I give them ALL the same value and credence as I would the opinions of a child looking at the outside of sausage factory.

All may be well intentioned.... but in reality each has no idea of who will be selected by Enos and Diaz.

Everyone has a 1 in 3 chance of being correct. But fact is we are all just guessing.

So unless we have direct word from either Enos or Diaz....I'd put all these opinions...whether crazy or well thought out.....in the same circular file.

I normally agree with a lot of your posts but you lose all credibility and I have to question every post when you say Rosier would win the QB job this year. LOL

I don’t see how? He lacks everything that Enos looks for in a qb... the only thing he was ahead of the curb at was going through progressions.

Everything else.... slow release, duck passes thrown to the ground, easy to scare, lacked any mobility in our out of the pocket, and most important thing Enos is looking for is leadership traits which Kaaya completely lacked as a football player.

You’re also the mouth breathing tard who said Rosier was better than Kaaya.

All this **** and vigor about QB’s, with everyone seemingly with a hard stake in the ground for why their guy will win out as starter. We’ve seen 15 total practices/scrimmages thus far, with a whole Summer and then Fall camp to boot. Let’s pump the brakes on assumptions right now and see who grabs the bull by the horns these next few months. That will determine who rises above the rest. If all 3 do it, then so be it. Enos and Diaz get paid in big boy bucks - they’ll have to determine at that point who should start. And don’t think just because someone starts versus the Gayturd, it doesn’t mean they’ll start the whole season. So if I was the #1 backup, I’d keep my head in the game; one never knows when they will be called upon.

Advertisement
I normally agree with a lot of your posts but you lose all credibility and I have to question every post when you say Rosier would win the QB job this year. LOL

Allow me to explain- I was also the guy who, after the 2017 season, was betting other posters that Rosier wouldn't finish 2018 as the starting qb. It may sound like a contradiction now to say he'd likely start in 2019, but it's not. Here's why. Miami was coming off a 10 win season in 2017. Many fans thought we were close to playoffs and if we had just a little more offense, Rosier could lead us to the promised land. Why was I so sure he wouldn't finish 2018 as the QB? I looked at his stats- his completion percentage was atrocious. It didn't matter if it was against good defenses or bad defenses, he was not an accurate passer. However, despite his inaccuracy, he didn't turn the ball over. His stat line up to the ACC Championship game was 25 passing TDs, 5 rushing TDs, and 9 INTs. Those are pretty good "game manager" numbers. That meant that his ceiling was probably a 10 win QB, but due to his lack of accuracy he had zero chance of beating a team like Clemson or Alabama. A lot of us thought that Miami had the talent to make a serious run in 2018 for the playoffs, and I knew that it couldn't happen with Rosier. We wouldn't have even a puncher's chance against teams that had elite defenses AND could put points on the board. I figured Richt knew this as well, so I assumed he'd try to find a Trevor Lawrence-type talent between 2017 and 2018. I didn't know what we had in Perry, only that he wasn't putting in the work to be a good QB, which wasn't a good sign.

So if I think Rosier wasn't good enough to finish 2018 as the QB (assuming the HC wanted to have even the tiniest chance of beating Clemson and getting into the playoffs), why do I think he'd be the starter in 2019 over our current crop of QBs? You have to understand what a defensive-oriented first year head coach is going to prioritize. What is the #1 most important trait for a QB in the mind of a defensive-oriented HC? A qb who does not turn the ball over. Is Miami going to a win a championship in 2019? No. Do we have the talent to win 10 games? I think yes. Diaz is fully aware that he doesn't have a championship caliber team yet, so what he needs most is serious momentum to carry through his first year into the offseason. A 10 win season in his first year as HC would be massive for recruiting hype. That's how you can recruit a Trevor Lawrence-type QB or get a plug and play transfer QB like Jalen Hurts or Justin Fields. An 8-4 season (or worse) would be a a disappointment to fans, and more importantly, recruits.

So in Diaz's first year, Which qb, of the ones on the roster plus Rosier, would be most likely to win 10 games? Probably the last QB to win 10 games.
Here's how they stack up:

Perry: terrible offseason decision making, two years in a row. Holds the ball out to the side when running, easily knocked out. Takes lots of sacks.

Williams: bad attitude as well, threatened transfer. Seems to be having a hard time reading the field, is the most INT prone of the QBs in practice

Martell: ? Some posters (even in this thread) put him behind Perry and William, talent-wise (that being said, he's still my guess for the actual 2019 opening day starter as I think his HS numbers show he SHOULD be the most accurate QB on the roster)

Rosier: won 10 games in 2017. Good runner, poor accuracy. Dependable game manager. Not turnover prone, but completely helpless against elite defenses.

You can counter and say that Rosier fell apart in 2018, but the entire offense fell apart in 2018 and that's not all on Rosier. The offense scheme was so bad (no matter who was at QB), that our HC suddenly retired after realizing he no longer had that ability to call plays. The QB coach is still unemployed and was among the worst QB coaches I've every seen at ANY program. He made D'Nofrio look competent by comparison. So I just don't put much stock in 2018.

To put it another way- if I told you that I'd give you $10 million to deliver a package within 48 hrs from LA to NY (43 hr drive) and gave you 4 cars to choose from: 3 Ferraris or 1 Toyota Camry with 15 k miles on it (past the break in period), which car do you pick? Personally, I would take the most reliable (Camry). Speed doesn't matter if the car breaks down.

If you had to bet on on who is most likely to win 10 games- I think logic dictates that the previous QB who won 10 games (dependable) and who fits what a defensive oriented HC wants (not turnover prone), then Rosier would the guy. He would NOT be the likely starter in 2020 assuming that the HC thinks he can make a championship run. Either one of the other QBs on the rooster would have developed by then or he will have recruited a stud in the offseason. But in Diaz's first year, in a contest to figure out who is most likely to get 10 wins, Rosier would beat out the other 3.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Allow me to explain- I was also the guy who, after the 2017 season, was betting other posters that Rosier wouldn't finish 2018 as the starting qb. It may sound like a contradiction now to say he'd likely start in 2019, but it's not. Here's why. Miami was coming off a 10 win season in 2017. Many fans thought we were close to playoffs and if we had just a little more offense, Rosier could lead us to the promised land. Why was I so sure he wouldn't finish 2018 as the QB? I looked at his stats- his completion percentage was atrocious. It didn't matter if it was against good defenses or bad defenses, he was not an accurate passer. However, despite his inaccuracy, he didn't turn the ball over. His stat line up to the ACC Championship game was 25 passing TDs, 5 rushing TDs, and 9 INTs. Those are pretty good "game manager" numbers. That meant that his ceiling was probably a 10 win QB, but due to his lack of accuracy he had zero chance of beating a team like Clemson or Alabama. A lot of us thought that Miami had the talent to make a serious run in 2018 for the playoffs, and I knew that it couldn't happen with Rosier. We wouldn't have even a puncher's chance against teams that had elite defenses AND could put points on the board. I figured Richt knew this as well, so I assumed he'd try to find a Trevor Lawrence-type talent between 2017 and 2018. I didn't know what we had in Perry, only that he wasn't putting in the work to be a good QB, which wasn't a good sign.

So if I think Rosier wasn't good enough to finish 2018 as the QB (assuming the HC wanted to have even the tiniest chance of beating Clemson and getting into the playoffs), why do I think he'd be the starter in 2019 over our current crop of QBs? You have to understand what a defensive-oriented first year head coach is going to prioritize. What is the #1 most important trait for a QB in the mind of a defensive-oriented HC? A qb who does not turn the ball over. Is Miami going to a win a championship in 2019? No. Do we have the talent to win 10 games? I think yes. Diaz is fully aware that he doesn't have a championship caliber team yet, so what he needs most is serious momentum to carry through his first year into the offseason. A 10 win season in his first year as HC would be massive for recruiting hype. That's how you can recruit a Trevor Lawrence-type QB or get a plug and play transfer QB like Jalen Hurts or Justin Fields. An 8-4 season (or worse) would be a a disappointment to fans, and more importantly, recruits.

So in Diaz's first year, Which qb, of the ones on the roster plus Rosier, would be most likely to win 10 games? Probably the last QB to win 10 games.
Here's how they stack up:

Perry: terrible offseason decision making, two years in a row. Holds the ball out to the side when running, easily knocked out. Takes lots of sacks.

Williams: bad attitude as well, threatened transfer. Seems to be having a hard time reading the field, is the most INT prone of the QBs in practice

Martell: ? Some posters (even in this thread) put him behind Perry and William, talent-wise (that being said, he's still my guess for the actual 2019 opening day starter as I think his HS numbers show he SHOULD be the most accurate QB on the roster)

Rosier: won 10 games in 2017. Good runner, poor accuracy. Dependable game manager. Not turnover prone, but completely helpless against elite defenses.

You can counter and say that Rosier fell apart in 2018, but the entire offense fell apart in 2018 and that's not all on Rosier. The offense scheme was so bad (no matter who was at QB), that our HC suddenly retired after realizing he no longer had that ability to call plays. The QB coach is still unemployed and was among the worst QB coaches I've every seen at ANY program. He made D'Nofrio look competent by comparison. So I just don't put much stock in 2018.

If you had to bet on on who would start from that list above- I think logic dictates that the previous QB who won 10 games, who fits what a defensive oriented HC wants (not turnover prone), and is the most likely to win 10 again and get the team some momentum going into 2020, then Rosier would the guy. He would NOT be the likely starter in 2020 assuming that the HC thinks he can make a championship run. Either one of the other QBs on the rooster would have developed by then or he will have recruited a stud in the offseason. But in Diaz's first year, in a contest to figure out who is most likely to get 10 wins, Rosier would beat out the other 3.
I don't see it man, not even close. Rosier is terrible and all those stats you threw out in '17 mean nothing from Pitt on. DCs figured him out from then on and what he did ok at was rendered useless. The 3 QBs we have now are tremendously more talented and have only gotten better.

I don't see it man, not even close. Rosier is terrible and all those stats you threw out in '17 mean nothing from Pitt on. DCs figured him out from then on and what he did ok at was rendered useless. The 3 QBs we have now are tremendously more talented and have only gotten better.

DCs had him figured out before then (see UNC and GT). It didn't really matter though because all he was asked to do was not put the defense in a bad position. Defense would then get the ball back in good field position, and Rosier would get a TON of chances to put points on the board. He usually did not succeed there, but he did enough to win games. My guess is Manny also thinks that is winning football. Run the ball, keep the other team off the field, dont put D in bad position. The difference with Enos is that when the offense gets those short field scoring opportunities, his more dynamic offense should help the Wrs get separation and easier throws for the QB. That should translate into a lot more points. Unfortunately, that formula falls apart if the QB is taking sacks and turning the ball over. I don't think Perry has improved in pocket awareness, but I guess time will tell.

I'm curious about your confidence in our stable of QBs. Let's say we had the same 3 PLUS Kaaya. Who do you think would win the starting job out of those 4?

Last edited:
DCs had him figured out before then (see UNC and GT). It didn't really matter though because all he was asked to do was not put the defense in a bad position. Defense would then get the ball back in good field position, and Rosier would get a TON of chances to put points on the board. He usually did not succeed there, but he did enough to win games. My guess is Manny also thinks that is winning football. Run the ball, keep the other team off the field, dont put D in bad position. The difference with Enos is that when the offense gets those short field scoring opportunities, his more dynamic offense should help the Wrs get separation and easier throws for the QB. That should translate into a lot more points. Unfortunately, that formula falls apart if the QB is taking sacks and turning the ball over. I don't think Perry has improved in pocket awareness, but I guess time will tell.

I'm curious about your confidence in our stable of QBs. Let's say we had the same 3 PLUS Kaaya. Who do you think would win the starting job out of those 4?
Man that's tough, are we talking about Kaaya in college or now and who knows how he'd look under Enos. At this point, I'd have to go with Kaaya because of his superb accuracy and experience. I believe Tate is the most talented, especially with mobility, we all know Kaaya had brick feet. However, assuming Martell will continue to improve, which I think his struggles are solely because of trying to learn under center, as well as learning the new offense and new wrs to throw to, I'd have to say Martell would eventually win out.

Advertisement
Back